Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

For the first time ever Towers actually beat some players with his speed and skill. Also still got knocked off the line way too easily but he was a genuine contributor and we have actually seen how he may have been the VFL's best player 3 years ago.
    Must not be dropped. As long as there is some possibility that he could continue to develop into a Premiership important player then he must stay on the park. Previous poster made good call in that we are looking for a Bruest type and Towers is showing more of that than Cunningham at the moment. Of course the best call would have been to pick up Bruest when he was available to us as a NSW rookie selection. Oops.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Goes up to 11
    I think Towers' pace and run will be important for us against a pretty speedy GWS this week and also at Subiaco the week after. Also I wouldn't bring Benny back before he gets a full run in Ressies, and I'd look at him being sub in Perth the following week. Goodsey probably stays this week but they may look at saving him the cross country trip the next week under the guise of player management.

At least we've been winning so there isn't the urgency to make changes....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I think Towers' pace and run will be important for us against a pretty speedy GWS this week and also at Subiaco the week after. Also I wouldn't bring Benny back before he gets a full run in Ressies, and I'd look at him being sub in Perth the following week. Goodsey probably stays this week but they may look at saving him the cross country trip the next week under the guise of player management.

At least we've been winning so there isn't the urgency to make changes....
    It struck me watching on Saturday, and again looking at the replay, that Rohan and Towers both suffered a bit from their sheer closing speed . . . a bit like the issue that has been pointed out with BJ: they run so hard towards the player with the ball that on contact they either bounce off, or are easily sidestepped. Rohan's best tackles were chase downs . . . and they are awesome. Under Roos they worked hard on rugby-based tackling skills that helped players to close fast, but then, at the last instant, to broaden their balance and to lower their centre of gravity so as to be able to respond to a jink or step, and to effect the tackle.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    It is a great indication of the status of the team that Goode's or Towers are the two names being thrown about as possible changes. And most of those suggestions are not written with the conviction of previous threads.
    No one needs testing yet, we are only two games in, maybe in another month?
    I'm still going with no change this week.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    It struck me watching on Saturday, and again looking at the replay, that Rohan and Towers both suffered a bit from their sheer closing speed . . . a bit like the issue that has been pointed out with BJ: they run so hard towards the player with the ball that on contact they either bounce off, or are easily sidestepped. Rohan's best tackles were chase downs . . . and they are awesome. Under Roos they worked hard on rugby-based tackling skills that helped players to close fast, but then, at the last instant, to broaden their balance and to lower their centre of gravity so as to be able to respond to a jink or step, and to effect the tackle.
    I think with both Rohan, and especially Towers, it is a learning experience as to how to best utilise their speed and skills. I can see progress in both from last year. Towers needs to get the contest on his advantage, which is getting into a bit of space and using his jumping ability. He's never going to beat Alipate Carlisle in a marking contest standing still, and Carlisle is pretty quick for someone who doesn't look like he should be. I noticed that Towers had trouble tackling Carlise on a few occasions, but in the 4th quarter, after Towers again missed a tackle on him, Heeney took him down, the ball spilled loose which led to Towers' second goal.

It's also up to the kicker not to kick to situation where the defender has a clear advantage. It's hard to tell whether Towers is not timing his leads well or the kicker is making a poor choice. In any case, after 8 senior games, Towers is doing okay and hopefully he can improve on these points over the course of the season.

It's a decent observation about Rohan in particular. There are 2-3 examples I can think of where he ran too fast into something and made a mess of it. A dropped mark in forward 50 after a perfect kick and a great lead, a HTB when he should have given it off and another dropped mark, which wasn't as blatant. Each time I was thinking "Oh come on Gaz, you're doing all the hard stuff, just show some poise!"
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

So Gaz runs like my wife drives????

Must agree little bloke has more determination speed , hard ball gets, and is a angry man !

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    .....Under Roos they worked hard on rugby-based tackling skills that helped players to close fast, but then, at the last instant, to broaden their balance and to lower their centre of gravity so as to be able to respond to a jink or step, and to effect the tackle.
    I was thinking the same thing watching the game. There were a lot of players just sticking their arms out like traffic cops. Rather than lowering themselves and getting there shoulder into position for a tackle. Time to bring in the league boys for some fine tuning.

Senior Player
    There is no upside to Towers when he is as soft as he is.

I liked what Jason Dunstall said On The Couch last week with regard to Gary Ablett, something along the lines of, are you judging Gary against Gary, or against the next bloke that can come in? Goodes can still have an impact, and while he is not going to compete at the levels he once did, he is the perfect sub. He can play every position on the field, and will at least break even.

A mate of mine had an encounter with Goodes a couple of years ago that has soured my opinion of him completely. I would need legal advice, and the mods' blessing, before I would talk about it on here, so it gives me great pleasure to see his bursting at the seams ego being hurt on the sidelines, but I think he can still have a positive impact with the team.
    C'mon Chels!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    So Gaz runs like my wife drives??
    Like Buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    Heeney sub? Do you even supercoach?

Mcglynn in for towers for me, Towers played well but Mcglynn is obviously better.

Can't afford to lose pace, have to keep Rohan in.

You say can't afford to lose pace and yet you drop a pacy forward. Just astounding the logic on here. Benny was sent to the mids because he wasn't generating enough goals. Good defensive pressure but not quite enough scoring for a permanent forward, 3x30 and 24 in the last 4 years. We are now looking at a very different forward set up than when Benny played forward. The idea is to develop players like Towers, Heeney & Rohan to put a lot of forward scoring pressure on while working hard the other way. The resting mids also go forward as well with Kizza, Joey, Parks, Macca and Birdie all causing probs.

I like the move of using Heeney, Rohan & Macca in a three way half forward, half back and mid rotation like Horse did on the weekend. Rohan half forward/back & wing, Heeney half forward/back and mids and Macca the same. Jetts also rotated in and out of the backs. Very clever. It keeps the opposition guessing.

If anyone goes out it would have to be Goodsie I'm sorry to say. Everybody else has played really well and Goodsie hasn't exactly been inspiring so far. Benny should have to earn his spot anyway as far as I'm concerned he is not a walk up. He hasn't played much of the prseason and is only just getting match practice now. I'm a bit sick of the attitude that any player is a walk up, they aren't anymore. In the old days that was the case, even as close as 2003 but not now. Too much depth.

But I would not make any changes and keep Goodsie sub. If there were a change to get game time into the old fella then Mitchell in Goodes out. Benny doesn't seem ready yet after only 20 in the reserves.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast