Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'd be exceptionally suprised if they brought in Brandon Jack. I would argue that Mitchell, Cunningham, Hewett and Jones may well be in front of him in the queue. He didn't make the 'best' list in ressies last week despite having the 4th best stats (as measured by Dream Team points).

I really hope we pick Mitchell though, just so we can't avoid your ad nauseum repeating of the same theory time and time again

Mcglynn as sub is my call with no other changes - but as Ugg says, they may prefer for Mcglynn to get another full game in the ressies, and then you'd expect Cunningham is likely to be next in line.
    I have said that I would apologise to the Red and White community if Mitchell, Bird, Kennedy and Parker are played in the one team.

I forgot about Cunningham. He would be ahead of Brandon Jack for the subs role if McGlynn needs more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    How could he be doing the team thing by electing to go to the reserves? He was offered an AFL game at senior level and turned it down.

As sub there is sometimes an opportunity to come in early due to injury or concussion. He may have got a decent game anyway if he was the sub.

This to me could be spin on a dummy spit about senior game time.
    I don't think that's a correct reading of the situation at all. Goodes may not feel that he can get his touch and match fitness playing a quarter of footy a week. Unlike some commentators, I don't think he is a good choice for sub at all and would much prefer a pacier option coming off the bench to maintain our defensive pressure and run at the tail end of games.

Goodes is a cameo player that needs at least 3 quarters of game time to impact the contest and scoreboard. If he can't contribute in that form I'd rather he were not selected.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You look for drama in every little thing, don't you Matt80? One day we will all die of shock when you actually take something at face value, and not try to come up with some sort of conspiracy theory instead!
    He was offered a role at senior level and said no. I am quoting Longmires words.

Would Heeney tell Longmire that he does not want to be the sub two weeks in a row and that he would prefer a full game in the NEAFL?

He was offered a role at senior level and said no. I am quoting Longmires words.

Would Heeney tell Longmire that he does not want to be the sub two weeks in a row and that he would prefer a full game in the NEAFL?
    Heeney and Goodes are totally different situations. Goodes needs game time to get match fit so he can possibly play a role in the seniors. Heeney is a young kid who will jump at any opportunity to play.

No, that's not what Longmire is quoted as saying:
    Longmire: "I suggested he start as the sub and he suggested he play in the Reserves and get some quality game time and form and fitness."
    That's a conversation, not a "dummy spit" (your words).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Heeney and Goodes are totally different situations. Goodes needs game time to get match fit so he can possibly play a role in the seniors. Heeney is a young kid who will jump at any opportunity to play.
    He could have played sub, come on early as the sub, and played good game time. He could have played well and got of "dropped row".

Now he has been dropped and it could be hard to get back in.

I would rather gamble on the subs bench than in the NEAFL. He should have asked Tom Mitchell for some advice.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I think the decision just makes a lot of sense. I had Goodesy as sub in my unchanged team to play GWS despite the fact that I agree he is not a good choice for sub. We have known for ages that the team was a bit unbalanced playing KT, Buddy, Reid and Goodes. His role in the forward line seems redundant if we rotate Rohan and Heeney etc through there.

He obviously thinks he can live with the indignity of playing in the reserves, as ROK had to do before him. His influence there will be enormous and it will, as has already been said, give him opportunity to run into match fitness and form, ready to transition into the main team if and when needed. I know it is not quite the same but Chris Judd came back from injury through the 2's so Adam is not exactly a pioneer in the realm of champs running around in the 2's.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He could have played sub, come on early as the sub, and played good game time. He could have played well and got of "dropped row".

I would rather gamble on the subs bench than in the NEAFL. He should have asked Tom Mitchell for some advice.

As the late great would have said, "Marvellous!"
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Crowd predictions for the Sydney Derby?

2nd vs 3rd.

Unfortunetly, unless you live in the eastern suburbs the venue is near impossible to get to, so 25,000.
    Rubbish. It is easy to get to. A train then special buses from Central. There will be between 35 & 40 thou there as it is our first home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Last years sell out crowds definiteu ly reflected this.
    I'm bordering the Hills District and even though your pet stadium is closer geographically to me, the SCG takes less time to get to & from
    It's our home ground, deal with it
    Impossible. It would be at least an hour driving ( not counting the hour to get out if the car park) and probably 1 hour 15 on public transport as its no where near a train station.

Im calling BS on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Rubbish. It is easy to get to. A train then special buses from Central. There will be between 35 & 40 thou there as it is our first home game.
    even if 35k which i doubt, poor crowd for two sydney teams.
    Giants fans probably avoid the place for the same reasons i do.

Veterans List

The stats seem to suggest that teams that play the sub early in the game lose so maybe that's not a great idea.

After the Bombers game I asked Adam how he'd know when it was time to retire. He said that being subbed out before the last quarter was a fair hint. And laughed as he said it. He also said that he loved playing footy too much to want to walk away - suggesting he'd have to be told.

When he's on the field he can have major impact offensively. I don't think he's been allowed to do much in defence since he was stopped from rucking. But this season his timing has been off with some poorly executed passes, etc. Either the team isn't used to playing with him so they don't pre-empt his moves. Or he needs to come up to speed and playing reserves, not as sub, is the only way to do it.

It shows a characteristic team-first attitude to volunteer to play in the 2s and he should be commended. He would have known it's be front page news on both News and Fairfax websites but he's still doing it to get back in the team - rather than just sulking and waiting for the seniors call.

Incidentally, he also said in the conversation last week that he'd never move to another team to get an extra year or two of games - "I'll be at the Swans or not involved in footy at all. And that's as a player or in admin."

I don't see his motive as selfish at all. In a way it is, wanting to get some form, but in another it isn't. He is doing the team thing as he couldn't give enough he feels he should be getting his form back. He may never come up to the standard again but he will try. I am one who thought he should have retired and still think so.

I think Mitchell should be rewarded for his efforts but they probably won't. Even though Harry didn't even get in the best last week he will probably get the recall. Sad really as we could do with Mitchell as a sub.

On a side note. I think Parks wasn't right last week. He is normally a very good kick for goal and twice he kicked out on full. He looked groggy too. I think we should have followed the concussion rule to the letter and rested him for a game. If he can get that many still concussed imagine what he is going to be like this week if he plays a full game. There were signs there against Essendon with 35 until injured.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast