Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodesy to play ressies?

Senior Player
    I'm sorry, am I the only one that is seething over this? You play a role for the team, the role that is being asked of you, not have a hissy fit and ask to be dropped over being in the green vest!! It was written all over him last weekend how pissed off he was at being on the sidelines; but if Horse needs him in that role, a role that is perfect for him and the team, he should be putting the team first.

I miss the kid from 2003 standing behind Buckley and Roo shaking his head in disbelief.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I'm sorry, am I the only one that is seething over this? You play a role for the team, the role that is being asked of you, not have a hissy fit and ask to be dropped over being in the green vest!! It was written all over him last weekend how pissed off he was at being on the sidelines; but if Horse needs him in that role, a role that is perfect for him and the team, he should be putting the team first.

I miss the kid from 2003 standing behind Buckley and Roo shaking his head in disbelief.
    I'm seething too.
    He normally starts slow, and I honestly don't think he's match fit and he knows this, which is why I may concede that he has made the decision himself.
    On the other hand, he could have been just dropped and this is the story they're going with. Who knows?
    It's caused a stir in the Daily Telegraph. They wrote a story about other athletes that have "gone a year too far". The story has two pages on the inside of the back. Normally, we're about 10 pages in from the back.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    It's true that he normally starts slow, the trouble is it's harder for him to get away without being fully match fit given the way we play - you saw the type of defensive pressure that Horse expects from his team last week against Port. Maybe he will play again this year, maybe he won't... it's still possible that he could come back and contribute. For now I think it's the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The buses coming into stop at that oval there might be an issue if the game finishes around 3.40 as originally planned.
    That's a good reason Ugg, hadn't thought of that (as I never catch public transport to the SCG).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

its funny to think prior to the season starting and after watching the pre nab game and NAB games i thought Goodes was in front of Heeney

Now it is Heeney playing the small forward role primarily that is keeping Goodes out

Change of the guard
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Just been told ressies game has been moved from SCG cause of wet ground ????
    I can't recall a match at the SCG in the last 13 months where it wasn't raining. And to think that Melbourne gets criticized all the time for it's weather.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    It's true that he normally starts slow, the trouble is it's harder for him to get away without being fully match fit given the way we play - you saw the type of defensive pressure that Horse expects from his team last week against Port. Maybe he will play again this year, maybe he won't... it's still possible that he could come back and contribute. For now I think it's the right call.
    Come on people, is there really a spot for him on the team???

Is there not another player who does what ever he may be able to do 10 times better???

Our mids are firing, our forwards too and we have too many big guys there already.

And the reason we won in Adelaide was that each player could chase, run and pressure the whole game, not for 20m worth.

Sad to say, but with Mitchell still in seconds, there is no spot for Goodes.
    doof-doof

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I can't recall a match at the SCG in the last 13 months where it wasn't raining. And to think that Melbourne gets criticized all the time for its weather.
    Sydney's annual rainfall is approximately double Melbourne's. What Melbourne has (which mrs d cannot abide) is the overcast, which usually brings little rain but can continue for days at a time. When the weather, which in these parts generally comes from the southwest, finally makes it to Gippsland, it rains there. The result is "green gold" as they call it in similar circumstances in NZ, great dairy country. Lots of BS in Victoria. (But I like living here too.)
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Come on people, is there really a spot for him on the team???

Is there not another player who does what ever he may be able to do 10 times better???

Our mids are firing, our forwards too and we have too many big guys there already.

And the reason we won in Adelaide was that each player could chase, run and pressure the whole game, not for 20m worth.

Sad to say, but with Mitchell still in seconds, there is no spot for Goodes.
    True, he cannot hold a spot in the firsts at present, but I'm happy to wait for a few rounds and see what happens. At proper match fitness he is still capable of causing headaches for oppositions and I look forward to seeing it happen. 20 metres is quite enough for a decent marking forward, and he can still be a real handful in the midfield, either way a genuine impact player.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    its funny to think prior to the season starting and after watching the pre nab game and NAB games i thought Goodes was in front of Heeney

Now it is Heeney playing the small forward role primarily that is keeping Goodes out

Change of the guard
    This says it for me. Adam's great value to the team last year was his ability to read the pack at stoppages and kick goals, often on his left foot. Heeney has those bifooteral skills already and it is only a matter of game time until he perfects his timing and positioning.

Goodes turns back clock in Swans hitout

I don't accept Goodes physical capability has greatly deteriorated since the end of February unless he's picked up a niggle somewhere. His form is a separate issue. Patchy early or after returning from injury, it's nothing we've not seen before. Having only listened to our first two games on radio, was Adam really that bad? Focusing on the positive, having Goodes play reserves is like having a senior coach in the thick of the action dispensing immediate tactical input.

We've marvelled at Adam's gameday performances over the years but sometimes forget he has one of the finest footy brains not only in our team but in the entire league. The massive benefit he could provide to our development should not be underestimated. If it also gives others feeling a little hard done by at the selection table reason to reflect on their plight then so much the better.

Doesn't seem to be working so well today though.

I'm not a fan of Rebecca Wilson but this is a good article.
    "Goodes embodies all that is great about the Sydney Swans. He has been the flagship of the fleet for at least 15 of the 18 years he has been at the club .....Stand tall and don�t die wondering about a glorious farewell Mr Goodes. You have given us more than we could have ever imagined. If young Heeney can be that good for that long, the Swans are in great hands."
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast