Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread Rnd3 Sydney V GWS

I think the "it's gonna rain" factor kept a few away, and I went through the same barrier as Snarky and can verify what she said. We weren't at our absolute best but to say we were too far off devalues how good the Giants already are. They're WAY beyond the Suns now and look to be a team threatening for the bottom half of the top 8 IMO. Had Cameron kicked straight in the first quarter it might have been a different game.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I was shocked at how few GWS supporters were there today. I wonder if in future years they could do a reciprocal membership agreement for the derby's

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If, as quoted , only 2 Giants fans went out of 10,000 odd members, then we have a serious stadium location problem. probably says our eastern suburbs caps out at about 30k. I dont think this is sustainable, especially in lean time. The decision to abandon greater sydney will cost us dearly.
    Heavens above you are like a dog with a bone ~ give it up, you are harping on deaf ears.
    As much as you might hate it, 99% of swans fans prefer the SCG and you going on and on and on about it, coming up with your bazaar theories on what's wrong with it, is not going to change ANYBODY'S mind!

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I have only been able to wat h the game as a replay but here are my "insights":
    That "fend" was a wonderful thing. Even my wife, who never gambles, agreed we should put some money on Heeney for the riding star.
    Buddy loves the double team challenge.
    Llyod will very soon become our best "distributor". He rarely seems to put in a bad kick/handball.
    Tippet is probably or best ruckman.
    Jetta is a question mark. You want to see him run with the ball but his kicks are sublime.
    Parker was obviously still groggy last week and should have probably been given a rest. He was back to what he should be this week.
    I think we have become a little complacent about how good Hanners is, he may not do the the extraordinary but he does what he does very well.
    I have said it before but I will say it again, I didn't want to join in the Heeney hype, as though my excitement would put too much pressure on him, but he is becoming irresistible.
    Our defence may not be sexy but, goddamn they are good.
    I am glad we have been able to cover the omission of Smooch.
    Teddy's kicking was some of his best.
    Ronan will win more than one game with his tenacious chase downs
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 19th April 2015 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Heavens above you are like a dog with a bone ~ give it up, you are harping on deaf ears.
    As much as you might hate it, 99% of swans fans prefer the SCG and you going on and on and on about it, coming up with your bazaar theories on what's wrong with it, is not going to change ANYBODY'S mind!
    im not here to change anyones mind. Just examining the state of AFL in sydney. 32k to a derby between 2nd and 3rd in great weather is poor. Hard to see where the improvement will come from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    I was shocked at how few GWS supporters were there today. I wonder if in future years they could do a reciprocal membership agreement for the derby's
    Its simply hard to get to from the greater west. That simple reason explains everything, right. Why the herd denial?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with the Sydney suburbs, but just out of interest, what would be an equivalent location in Sydney to Richmond in Melbourne (MCG) or North Adelaide in Adelaide ( Adelaide oval) ?
    There is no like for like really. But at one stage i did see a plan for a stadium over the rail yards just west of central.

But homebush is fine too. It really is the centre for sydney. You go to sell out rugbu games and most traffic is from the east and north. You go to state of origin and most traffic is from the west.

If we grow AFL Sydney wide, we could have massive crowds to all games from all directions. But i fear the swans will miss out because the "settled" for 30k at the SCG.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    There is no like for like really. But at one stage i did see a plan for a stadium over the rail yards just west of central.

But homebush is fine too. It really is the centre for sydney. You go to sell out rugbu games and most traffic is from the east and north. You go to state of origin and most traffic is from the west.

If we grow AFL Sydney wide, we could have massive crowds to all games from all directions. But i fear the swans will miss out because the "settled" for 30k at the SCG.
    Cmon Barry, can't you see that no one cares for your Stadium de Oz theory. All it does is antagonise RWOers who don't want the thread hijacked into another SCG vs Homebush argument.

32k to a derby between 2nd and 3rd in great weather is poor. Hard to see where the improvement will come from.
    2nd v 3rd at the start of the season is a bit different to 2nd v 3rd at mid/end of season. GW$ are probably not a genuine 3rd placed team. Their supporter base isn't big.

If the Suns & GW$ both had big first round wins & were sitting 1st & 2nd for round 2, you'd be dreaming to think they'd get more than 30K no matter what the weather or where it was played.

Regular in the Side

Dwayne Russell

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Why do we frequently draw the short straw and have Dwayne Russell commentate our games? He tries to find non existent free kicks for our opposition, tries to find reasons why we shouldn't receive frees. His co-commentators join in with glee. I started making notes during the second quarter and had quite a long list by the end of the game. It is all one way biased calling and I am fed up!
    This is a fact of life that continually annoys ... in the case of Dwayne the dislike of Sydney is so obvious he should put out a disclaimer ... I have no time for him as a commentator ... a different style to Brian Taylor but just as predictable and plain awful whoever is playing.

I was surprised by the crowd figure�it felt fuller, and I can't see how you'd fit in the extra 16,000 to get to the 48,000 capacity. Strange.
    On another note, a week off didn't seem to harm Harry C's taste for the game; perhaps the same privilege could be extended to S Reid? He looked lost, and although he bobbed up in useful places every now and then, his disposals were terrible. And we got to see how important Smooch is in the clinches. Laidler more and more impressive, while Rampe had a forgettable game (possibly put off by the ground announcer calling him Dean). Jetta terrific. Tippett very strong, too, I thought.

Yeah , when they put the crowd figure up, looked at all the stands packed to the rafters and couldn't believe it . Seemed heaps more.
    Big crowd waiting in queues to get in at the start .
    Cycling home, came across one family dressed in orange.
    You play a very good game , I commented .
    Thanks Bud ?
    Well I can only dream of being Bud!
    Giants moved the ball around really well.
    Was great to be there to watch young Isaac Heeney , who has such good footy nous and his lightning hands . Hope he goes to Perth, he's probably not been there.
    His 5mm handball to Buddy was magic.
    Parkers falling over himself goal was amazing .
    Enjoyed the game, impressed by the Giants , have no idea where they are going to get a fan base ... Maybe west of the Blue Mountains ?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Cmon Barry, can't you see that no one cares for your Stadium de Oz theory. All it does is antagonise RWOers who don't want the thread hijacked into another SCG vs Homebush argument.
    I want to simply highlight the nimbism, and hypocracy of those that trash one stadium. ANZ has faults, SCG has as many if not more. To exclusively choose one is poor management. Look at the bigger picture.

Never have i said ANZ should be the only ground.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast