Page 10 of 129 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Is there any young key back at GWS who isn't getting a game and could seek a shift.
    Probably wouldn't get a game with us next year either. I did like what I saw of X Richards last week, he could make the grade.

If Jetta wants to go back to WA then the young defender Barass from WC who is only getting a game because of injuries to three key defenders would be a good option plus a draft pick from the weagles - he would not be on a big salary and is a KPD who is showing that he can handle the top grade - he did well against us - I don't want Jetta to go and hope he stays

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Is there any young key back at GWS who isn't getting a game and could seek a shift.
    The best bet may be Lachie Plowman, who has been injured a lot and hasn't seen much action, but was a #3 pick a few years back. He's contracted until next year. Once the Giants get their injury situation fixed up they should have plenty of tall defenders, including Davis, Corr (just signed a new contract), Haynes and Marchbank. I think we may be best suited to wait until next year, not only because of the trade restrictions, but to let us better assess the young key defenders we already have on our list. We may also get lucky and AJ will be fit again after his next surgery; looking forward to hearing his story on Open Mike.

On monday night Carro brought up that if the maximum salary restriction imposed on us is removed, apparently we are chasing Zach Smith from the Suns. Another player was mentioned but i didn't pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    On monday night Carro brought up that if the maximum salary restriction imposed on us is removed, apparently we are chasing Zach Smith from the Suns. Another player was mentioned but i didn't pick it up.
    I have nominated Zac Smith as one of a number of ruck prospects we might want to target (along with whichever of Philips/Downie/Lobb is least likely to get a game for GWS) - but I did so thinking he would be under average salary and so available regardless. How is it that players who are on the fringes of selection can be getting above average salary? Are pretty much all of the guys in the 22 or 18 on at least average wages? That doesn't make sense because that would mean all the guys out of the side are getting correspondingly less and when you factor in contracts like Buddy's how is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I have nominated Zac Smith as one of a number of ruck prospects we might want to target (along with whichever of Philips/Downie/Lobb is least likely to get a game for GWS) - but I did so thinking he would be under average salary and so available regardless. How is it that players who are on the fringes of selection can be getting above average salary? Are pretty much all of the guys in the 22 or 18 on at least average wages? That doesn't make sense because that would mean all the guys out of the side are getting correspondingly less and when you factor in contracts like Buddy's how is that possible?
    He may well be on or under average wage with the Suns, but with several clubs chasing him, his salary is trending up. If we can't secure a trade with the Suns, and if you want him bad enough, then you have to pay more than other clubs are willing to pay. Personally I do rate him but not enough to pay overs for him. I feel Naismith has more improvement in him.

If Charlie Dixon goes I think the Suns will want to keep Smith. Anyway, Zak Smith is a bit like Dean Towers. He plays great in the reserves, but has been very inconsistent in the seniors, which is why we see Nichols as their #1 ruckman. I don't think I would invest more than 350k in him even if he was available.

It's such a shame about Naismith and his OP this year. But that shouldn't be a long term problem. It would have been great to see him play more games this year as he's really looked good. I feel he can be a number 1 ruckman if his body holds up.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Can we bring Jessie White back????

Collingwood can pay his half his wages, and then he can have a brilliant season for us and then Eddie can exploded!!
    doof-doof

Wouldn't it be nice if the trade bans were lifted and Jetta nominated Collingwood as his preferred choice
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Thoughts on Jed Adcock? Hardly a world beater but we could probably get him for a song, trade restrictions be damned.

A bit of experienced depth to help out our younger players.

I would try to do a trade with Melbourne for Jake Spencer, perhaps swapping for Bird and Derickx. Max Gawn is obviously their best ruckman, so they only need a bit of depth. Spencer is not great, but is serviceable and much better than Derickx. It should be enough to get us through the next year of uncertainty with our ruck division. And wouldn't trouble the trade restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would try to do a trade with Melbourne for Jake Spencer, perhaps swapping for Bird and Derickx. Max Gawn is obviously their best ruckman, so they only need a bit of depth. Spencer is not great, but is serviceable and much better than Derickx. It should be enough to get us through the next year of uncertainty with our ruck division. And wouldn't trouble the trade restrictions.
    Could be an option. I see Tippo as our long term number one ruckman but with us also liking the idea of throwing him forward we'll always play two rucks. I actually think Pyke is quite a good number 2 ruckman and I would back him in for another year but if we can somehow trade out Derek with a Kiss and trade him up then that's fine with me.

It would also seem that Richmond have now got their hearts set on getting Treloar from GWS which you'd think would take their first round draft pick plus more. That rules out them making a play for Dunks so I wouldn't be surprised to see him drift out to late teens or even early twenties. No-one would dare place a dummy bid on him because for us he is a nice to have not a rusted on certainty