Page 3 of 129 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

Matt80 are you ok? Trade threads and you are yet to post? I actually like SOME of your trade theories. And I feel you maybe correct about Mitchell all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Matt80 are you ok? Trade threads and you are yet to post? I actually like SOME of your trade theories. And I feel you maybe correct about Mitchell all along.
    He's Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My feeling now is that Mitchell will not be with our club next year. It is becoming ever harder to see how Tom is going to break into our midfield, which doesn't have a history of injuries. Mitchell looks well behind Bird at the moment, who gradually improves with each passing season. We also have a fair number of players that can go both inside and outside. In due course Heeney will increase his midfield rotations. I think both Jones and Hewett have more to offer than Mitchell. All that said, I think Mitchell would be a great addition to many midfields, ones like Carlton and WCE that don't have a strong ball winning clearance midfielder. We've got lots of them, with more on the way.

It's far too early in the season to know how things will pan out with the rest of the young group. I was even pleasantly surprised by Marsh in the reserves game after I had already written him off as a sure delisting.

I am much more worried about losing Jones than Mitchell. I hope we can find a way to get him around a half a season in the seniors. He plays a lot like his brother and has more pace. He's the kind of player you love to have in the side. The words soft and Zak Jones will never appear in the same sentence (except this one, of course).

It will be easier to see our requirements regarding Mills and Dunks once the new academy draft rules come down.
    I think you're right there. I think one of these players will be stamped as our next inside midfielder.

I tend to think one of those two will be traded. I believe Mitchell is contracted for next year and Jones is out of contract at year end. I guess we always have the potential to make Mitchell honour his contract if Jones makes the decision for us. I do think we may need to trade one anyway given what we'll have to give up.

If neither of these guys gets more than 6-8 senior games then I fear we may lost both of them. It's all part of the reason why I don't think Goodesy hanging around is a good idea - unless he can help us win a flag (and I don't because I can't see him hurting top teams) then he is, sadly a list clogger denying other lads opportunity. Horse will sort that out I know....

Really looking forward to seeing the twos match this week but expect it will be moved. Though maybe not if they are playing after?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I'm not sure the reasoning behind wanting to keep Hewett over Mitchell...other than Mitchell being far more valuable on the trade table.

And from all reports Jones' tank is a long way off becoming a regular midfielder at even NEAFL level.

It's worth keeping in mind too that the sub vest is definitely going to be scrapped and interchanges will be capped so the game will slow down markedly. This will suit Mitchell's game style and will force us to rest midfielders forward (most likely JPK and Parker). Maybe this is why we've been so keen to keep Tom on our list?
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Mitchell's going nowhere. Too good to trade. He's one injury away from our midfield. We are so light on for experienced depth at the moment we can't afford to trade anyone with ability. Really the only ones in the ressies who would be considered at the moment are Goodes, Mitchell, Jones, Towers and perhaps Hewitt. Our rookie promotions (Except Jake) are project players as are our 2014 draftees (except Zucchini) plus Aliir and Toby. Marsh and Derrickx are list cloggers. AJ is obviously unavailable and BJ seems to be slipping down the pecking order.
    Unless we have to trade him to get a high enough draft pick or picks to be able to grab Mills & Dunkley. I'm with you though, we're light on for depth and we can't bring anyone in on higher than the AFL average salary.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He's Banned
    That's rough. Matt says things that makes people scratch their heads but I've never seen him being aggressive or even rude for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Unless we have to trade him to get a high enough draft pick or picks to be able to grab Mills & Dunkley. I'm with you though, we're light on for depth and we can't bring anyone in on higher than the AFL average salary.
    I can't see us wanting any players in exchange for say Mitchell or someone else. I think we will want high draft selections so that we can firstly get Mills and Dunkley and so that we don't have to use two years of draft picks to get them. Some people are saying that we need a key backman but I'm sure that at least two of XR, Aliir, Melican or McLaren (maybe even Newman who is Rampe's height) will come good. Not sure that they'll be ready for next year however.

I'm not so sure about ditching Mitchell. Ball magnets don't fall out of trees. I have nightmares thinking about the Hawks trading for Mitchell to replace Mitchell and us getting burned for years.

Would Yarran be worth a look?

Not sure whether we could construct a contract which would be acceptable to the AFL, given our trading restrictions this year.
    (ie $300k first year, then increasing in following years to whatever average salary he's worth)

I know he plays a bit soft. But he is a real halfback weapon with his pace and skills.

He was a Swans supporter before being drafted. And moving to a strong club like ours could bring the best out in him.

We have plenty of trade bait that would interest Carlton....Not necessarily Mitchell, I hope he stays.

What do others think?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Was actually thinking the exact same thing today! Mainly because his foot skills are so good and that's one area we lack in.
    Trade ban aside though, I don't think we'd be able to compete with other offers, he's the type of player that someone will pay massive overs for.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Was actually thinking the exact same thing today! Mainly because his foot skills are so good and that's one area we lack in.
    Trade ban aside though, I don't think we'd be able to compete with other offers, he's the type of player that someone will pay massive overs for.
    Please! Why would you bother with this bloke who has disappointed his whole career. The only reason he gets a game is that they have no one else. They deserve him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Please! Why would you bother with this bloke who has disappointed his whole career. The only reason he gets a game is that they have no one else. They deserve him.
    Who are they talking about, I must be blind but I can't see any player named. Assuming it's Gibbs ?

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    They are talking about Yarran, check out AFL.com for the article.

Yes but I think the blues will really want to trade, almost anyone into their team.

Their list is very bad, and Judd, one of their best, will almost certainly retire at the end of the year.

We give them a couple of second string players, they gives us some second and third round pick and we get Mills and Dunkley.

Because those two players are worth trading for, big time!
    doof-doof