Page 4 of 129 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade target discussion (merged thread)

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Please! Why would you bother with this bloke who has disappointed his whole career. The only reason he gets a game is that they have no one else. They deserve him.
    Because I'd back our development system and coaches to get the most out of his ability...which quite frankly is a lot!

I also wouldn't mind looking at Tayte Pears from Essendon as a KPD, will struggle to get a game alongside Hurley/Hooker etc and would be a more than handy pick-up.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I also wouldn't mind looking at Tayte Pears from Essendon as a KPD, will struggle to get a game alongside Hurley/Hooker etc and would be a more than handy pick-up.
    What happened to him? He looked like turning into a great back a couple of years ago.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    What happened to him? He looked like turning into a great back a couple of years ago.
    He has really battled with injury and as such slid down the pecking order, he's strung a few games together in the VFL in the last month so it will be interesting to see whether or not he can crack the 22.

He's from W.A though so I'd be surprised if Fremantle don't make some kind of play.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    a few years back I liked Tom McDonald from Melbourne. Young, tall, mobile and a team player...reminded me of a taller Alex Johnson. Now they are talking about this kid being All Australian. The message, particularly with the trade salary restriction, is to look for young diamonds. A no brainer but you look at clubs who are either successful and kids who can't get a game (i.e. Hawks) or a club which has a stack of kids (i.e. Suns, Giants). The key is to try and not give a lot for a kid with real upside with a club trying to prune their list. No names but there are a few young diamonds out there......Kennedy, McGlynn, Breust, just a few past deals.

I really don't think we need KPDs. Richards and Grundy have another 1-2 years of high performance. At least one of XR or AA should be ready next year. Two of Davis, Melican and McLaren will be ready in 1-3 years. They will be supported by Newman sometime within the next year. Davis and McLaren are both chances of making good swingmen.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    a few years back I liked Tom McDonald from Melbourne. Young, tall, mobile and a team player...reminded me of a taller Alex Johnson. Now they are talking about this kid being All Australian. The message, particularly with the trade salary restriction, is to look for young diamonds. A no brainer but you look at clubs who are either successful and kids who can't get a game (i.e. Hawks) or a club which has a stack of kids (i.e. Suns, Giants). The key is to try and not give a lot for a kid with real upside with a club trying to prune their list. No names but there are a few young diamonds out there......Kennedy, McGlynn, Breust, just a few past deals.
    The guy looked good when he first started, and he looks very good now Mcdonald. He really is a solid footballer these days.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I really don't think we need KPDs. Richards and Grundy have another 1-2 years of high performance. At least one of XR or AA should be ready next year. Two of Davis, Melican and McLaren will be ready in 1-3 years. They will be supported by Newman sometime within the next year. Davis and McLaren are both chances of making good swingmen.
    Sorry just can't see XR or brandon making it.

XR needs to put some muscle on him, to light to make a difference.

Wouldn't have done by now.

Hopefully a big clean up at the end of the season
    doof-doof

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Sorry just can't see XR or brandon making it......Hopefully a big clean up at the end of the season
    And where do the replacements come from? no draft picks after we burn them all on Mills and Dunkley, no rookies looking like obvious upgrades and we can't recruit anyone for more than the average salary of $250k :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    And where do the replacements come from? no draft picks after we burn them all on Mills and Dunkley, no rookies looking like obvious upgrades and we can't recruit anyone for more than the average salary of $250k :-(
    I think we'll be OK for this year and 2016 with Reg, Ted, Rampe and Smith with Shaw lucky to last this season.

You would hope one of the young backs would make a play by then, maybe Davis next year. Then there is always the possibility of Reid but we just do not seem to know where we want him to play. I guess we cold look for a free agent but we'll be lucky to get more than scraps given our restrictions (still bloody furious about that) - at the end of next year I believe our restrictions will be lifted so I'd be expecting a KPD to be signed, perhaps a decent one if we don't renew the KT contract

Our best bet could be a young KPD from GWS who can't crack into the starting team but enjoys living in Sydney and won't be lured back to vic/wa/sa etc.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    With retirements??

Goodes, Shaw, etc??

And maybe a few delistings; we have a lot of players who haven't had a game in a while.

But if you are not at AFL standards and can't get a game, you should be let go, politely as possible.
    doof-doof

Noticed an article today mentioning that Robbie Tarrant is a free-agent come years end.
    He could be a possible target given that he would be right on the borderline of the salary limit on any players we pick up via a trade or free agency.

I know he's had his injury troubles but he's stringing some solid games together and looks to be a reasonable prospect and still only 26 years old. Would definitely attract more money from other clubs but may accept slight unders to come to a team in a premiership window ala Lake, Frawley etc.

Apologies if his name has already been thrown up!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon