Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Gold Coast Suns Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The top 5 all look encouraging for various reasons, but I'm surprised and disappointed to see Xav on the bottom of the list. I had the impression that he was coming on OK and would turn out to be a real keeper. I hope we see more of what he's capable of doing.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The top 5 all look encouraging for various reasons, but I'm surprised and disappointed to see Xav on the bottom of the list. I had the impression that he was coming on OK and would turn out to be a real keeper. I hope we see more of what he's capable of doing.
    Would love to know what was seen in him to deserve the upgrade from rookie to senior list, was really hoping he'd push for selection this year on the back of that.

Great to see Mitchell continuing to put his nose down and bum up and rack up big numbers, it shows he has the right attitude!

Does Jones play in the midfield or backline in the NEAFL? Never really seems to rack up many possessions and I know they're not the be all and end all but for a kid with his talent I wouldn't mind seeing him get more of the footy.

I'm presuming Xavier was in defence and judging by the score, the ball didn't go down there much. He may have had 50 spoils 10 smothers 35 Cyril Rioli type tap-ons and still have those statistics. Mathematics is not the only way to live a life.

P.s. Thanks for the stats though Ugg
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    I'm presuming Xavier was in defence and judging by the score, the ball didn't go down there much. He may have had 50 spoils 10 smothers 35 Cyril Rioli type tap-ons and still have those statistics. Mathematics is not the only way to live a life.

P.s. Thanks for the stats though Ugg
    Precisely!!
    Or he sat on the pine for a while.

Wow. 40 disposals and 9 tackles is insane. So much for the criticism about Mitchell's defensive game. If he doesn't break in this year I'm afraid we'll be watching him destroying it elsewhere the same way Hawks supporters do Josh Kennedy.

Would love a chance to watch this game, does anyone know if it was filmed?

Jones tends to play half back flank and midfield approx 50/50

Someone asked about BJ and i think he has gone up a gear as his tackle pressure and clearance from packs is much much better

he is great value and between he and Towers i think we will see them play more Snrs
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Interesting highlights - we get to see plenty of the behinds as well as goals.

SwansTV - NEAFL Rd 3 highlights - sydneyswans.com.au

I would dearly love a statement from someone at the club about what it will take for Tom Mitchell to get a game. 40 touches & 9 tackles isn't enough?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I would dearly love a statement from someone at the club about what it will take for Tom Mitchell to get a game. 40 touches & 9 tackles isn't enough?
    Yep. That's pretty impressive. Horse must be pleased with that.

What a dilemma. We do need to get him into the seniors somehow.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Would you believe 41 disposals and 10 tackles? Missed it by *that* much

I was talking to a fellow NEAFL watcher the other day. He told me he believes Mitchell is not in the team because he doesn't fit into the Swans mould of a two way midfielder. Not saying that he doesn't put in the hard work in close, as 9 tackles would seem to indicate he's capable in this area.

It's when the opposition gets the ball and spread that they know they can easily get bypass Mitchell because he is either unwilling or unable to keep up

Also thinks his kicking into the forward fifty is poor, should aim for a lower trajectory that will aid his forwards rather than the high floaters that mostly eventuates.

Veterans List
    Gee that Mitchell guy must be pissed. 40 disposals and still can't get a game. Surely he needs a Harry Cunningham doll to stick pins in.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Would you believe 41 disposals and 10 tackles? Missed it by *that* much

I was talking to a fellow NEAFL watcher the other day. He told me he believes Mitchell is not in the team because he doesn't fit into the Swans mould of a two way midfielder. Not saying that he doesn't put in the hard work in close, as 9 tackles would seem to indicate he's capable in this area.

It's when the opposition gets the ball and spread that they know they can easily get bypass Mitchell because he is either unwilling or unable to keep up

Also thinks his kicking into the forward fifty is poor, should aim for a lower trajectory that will aid his forwards rather than the high floaters that mostly eventuates.
    I get the same impression. He does some very important things very well, like contested footy, tackling and hand balling, but there are a couple of missing ingredients that he needs to get right. In the previous week's game that was on YouTube, I found it hard to believe that he got 32 possies, because he didn't seem to have much influence on the game. Robinson, on the other hand, had fewer possessions, but when he got the ball he created a bit of space for himself and was able to move the ball on better.

If the conditions are wet, it might be a good time for his debut this week.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast