Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Gold Coast Suns Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Interesting highlights - we get to see plenty of the behinds as well as goals.

SwansTV - NEAFL Rd 3 highlights - sydneyswans.com.au
    And certainly not all goals shown. The highlights seem to focus on certain players - Goodes, Naismith and Mitchell in particular. Interesting that Naismith kicked a fair few of his goals (and behinds) running onto passes or a bouncing ball - I'd expected a series of marks on the lead.

Would you believe 41 disposals and 10 tackles? Missed it by *that* much

I was talking to a fellow NEAFL watcher the other day. He told me he believes Mitchell is not in the team because he doesn't fit into the Swans mould of a two way midfielder. Not saying that he doesn't put in the hard work in close, as 9 tackles would seem to indicate he's capable in this area.

It's when the opposition gets the ball and spread that they know they can easily get bypass Mitchell because he is either unwilling or unable to keep up

Also thinks his kicking into the forward fifty is poor, should aim for a lower trajectory that will aid his forwards rather than the high floaters that mostly eventuates.
    I haven't seen the game so going purely on the stats. He also had 5 rebound 50's. The most of any swan. So he must of been in our defensive end a bit. Combined that with the 3 inside 50's, 1 goal and 4 behinds, says he was up the forward end a bit as well. Appears to be working hard both ways. Pretty impressive all round numbers if you ask me. Wonder if Horse thinks that's the work of a two way midfielder?

Special mention must go to Robinson's 31 disposals. 8 inside 50's as well. Buddy would like some of those.

i think that simply there are other players that can play more adaptable roles then Tom right at this moment ie and this is largely around being able to run far and wide and match up on running sides like Hawks, Freeo and Port

BUT i do like Tom and he would have nice in and under against Freeo in the 1st qtr on the wknd

our transitions are in general much faster in 2014 and 2015 then any other season and this definitely works for a higher weighting of faster outside players

I think it is the right mix just now

We have played the Bombers who were in great form that game...........and beat the Hawks

We have played Port and convincingly beat them and they have beaten the Hawks

GWS are in serious form and if Cameron was kicking better it could have been a draw

Then we almost came back against a team that made us look like a ressies team in the first half and were within 3 pts over in their home court !

The mix of players is about right for the type of game plan we want to play
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Round 4
    ?Port Adelaide v Hawthorn
    ?Saturday 25 April?
    Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm

B: Burgoyne Lake Duryea?
    HB: Birchall Gibson Stratton
    ?C: Smith Mitchell Suckling?
    HF: Langford Gunston Hill ?
    F: Breust Roughead Rioli
    ?Foll: Ceglar Hodge Lewis??
    I/C: Whitecross McEvoy Puopolo Hartung?
    Emergencies: Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Anderson

I think there is valid arguments both ways for Mitchell but it comes down to match ups and if you look at the benchmark team the last two years it makes it bloody hard to include more then Bird, Kennedy, Macca, Parker, Lloyd in the slow dept in a game that is faster then ever

Bird < Puopolo
    Kennedy = Hodge
    Macca < Burgoyne
    Lloyd > Mitchell
    Parker = Lewis

the above 5 come out close to even but then throw in Hill, Rioli, Smith, Hartung, Langford etc etc and you soon realise where is the spot for Tom Mitchell in our team right now ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Round 4
    ?Port Adelaide v Hawthorn
    ?Saturday 25 April?
    Adelaide Oval, 7.10pm

B: Burgoyne Lake Duryea?
    HB: Birchall Gibson Stratton
    ?C: Smith Mitchell Suckling?
    HF: Langford Gunston Hill ?
    F: Breust Roughead Rioli
    ?Foll: Ceglar Hodge Lewis??
    I/C: Whitecross McEvoy Puopolo Hartung?
    Emergencies: Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Anderson

I think there is valid arguments both ways for Mitchell but it comes down to match ups and if you look at the benchmark team the last two years it makes it bloody hard to include more then Bird, Kennedy, Macca, Parker, Lloyd in the slow dept in a game that is faster then ever

Bird < Puopolo
    Kennedy = Hodge
    Macca < Burgoyne
    Lloyd > Mitchell
    Parker = Lewis

the above 5 come out close to even but then throw in Hill, Rioli, Smith, Hartung, Langford etc etc and you soon realise where is the spot for Tom Mitchell in our team right now ?
    He's gunna be good, but gotta say which one i'd pick for a GF today.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you believe 41 disposals and 10 tackles? Missed it by *that* much

I was talking to a fellow NEAFL watcher the other day. He told me he believes Mitchell is not in the team because he doesn't fit into the Swans mould of a two way midfielder. Not saying that he doesn't put in the hard work in close, as 9 tackles would seem to indicate he's capable in this area.

It's when the opposition gets the ball and spread that they know they can easily get bypass Mitchell because he is either unwilling or unable to keep up

Also thinks his kicking into the forward fifty is poor, should aim for a lower trajectory that will aid his forwards rather than the high floaters that mostly eventuates.
    Well that can't be it, most of the best 22 have been serial offenders.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL MVP voting

6: Tom Mitchell (Sydney)
    6: Adam Goodes (Sydney)
    6: Jordan Foote (Sydney)
    5: Dan Robinson (Sydney)
    4: Harry Marsh (Sydney)
    2: Erol Sertbas (Sydney)
    1: Andrew Raines (Gold Coast)

NEAFL TV highlights, ours is the first game.

Stats including clearances which were not available before.

North East Australian Football League: Champion Data Statistics

Goodes 8, Mitchell 6, Hewett 6, Robinson 4, Jack 2, Sertbas 2, Marsh 2, Fyffe 2, Naismith 2, Davis 1, Jones 1, Wilson 1

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    I'm presuming Xavier was in defence and judging by the score, the ball didn't go down there much. He may have had 50 spoils 10 smothers 35 Cyril Rioli type tap-ons and still have those statistics. Mathematics is not the only way to live a life.

P.s. Thanks for the stats though Ugg
    So now we know that he rolled his ankle (thanks HCF Injury Update man)
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Opti-pessi-misti
    This is probably a bit off topic but it seems that Tom Derickx has passed the 'invisible' Swan baton over to Lewis Melican. Last we heard of Melican he had a quad strain but in today's lengthy discussion re those with injuries, even getting to an AJ update, he didn't get a mention.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Saturday's NEAFL game has been moved back to after the seniors...so a 5.10pm start and still at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Saturday's NEAFL game has been moved back to after the seniors...so a 5.10pm start and still at the SCG
    Interesting move, could mean all three emergencies play in the NEAFL game. Maybe even sneak in the sub from the seniors game!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast