Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V Western Bulldogs

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Before the Bulldogs Crows game I entertained the thought of Goodes coming back in but after watching how hard the Dogs run and how wide they spread I don't think this is the best idea anymore

I'll have to take a look at the Bulldogs game to assess the possible changes. I didn't expect them to win as easily as it appears.

I did notice from the stats that Minson's ruck replacement Ayce Cordy got soundly beaten by Jacobs, which is no surprise. Adelaide easily won both the clearances and the hit outs, but lost the game by a mile. If Pyke gets injured, it would seem that Naismith would be the one to get the call to replace him. That's why I think it's important to give him some senior experience when the opportunity arises, rather than wait for a crises and a critical game. He was stunned by Maric in his first game, but after the first quarter started to get a handle on playing at senior level. He's been doing well in the reserves this season. I think he offers a bit more mobility and skill around the ground than Pyke does. Pyke is a good tap ruckman, but I've been disappointed with his skill level and decision making the past 2 seasons.

I don't buy into the argument that Tippett is fragile. Tom Derickx and Matt Spangher are fragile, because they can't get through a season without significant time on the sidelines. Over the course of his career he hasn't missed too many games due to injury. If Goodes can regain form and hold down a forward spot on merit, I think the combination of Tippett and Reid in the ruck would be the best, as we would have so much more mobility through the centre it should more than compensate for some loss in ruck power. But this to is only a makeshift solution and we will need to develop both Naismith and Nankervis for the long haul.

Just checked the weather forecast (as if it was really necessary; if it's Sydney, it must be raining). We can drop Pyke and have Tippett play in the ruck. A ruckman is a waste of space in the slog. I would look to bring in Mitchell and Jones if the conditions are wet.

On the veteran's list
    There must be some here that I suspect didn't watch the game. I thought Pyke did really well against Sandilandt. In fact he seemed to be the only Swan who was getting a centre clearance in the first half! I think Cunningham gives us a great outlet player from the backline and at the weekend took several marks coming up off the wing. I also thought he did a good job keeping Hill quiet.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Anybody in for Grundy. Even Alex Johnson with one knee

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    There must be some here that I suspect didn't watch the game. I thought Pyke did really well against Sandilandt. In fact he seemed to be the only Swan who was getting a centre clearance in the first half! I think Cunningham gives us a great outlet player from the backline and at the weekend took several marks coming up off the wing. I also thought he did a good job keeping Hill quiet.
    I think Pyke did well against Sandilands. As for the clearances, Pyke had 2 of our 38 for the game.

Cunningham had his moments, but didn't have a big influence on the game. Hill played more on the inside than in previous games and got the better of Harry, getting 21 disposal and 5 clearances, and was named by The Age as Freo's 2nd best player.

Senior Player
    I really at a loss for who the changes will be this week. Originally I suggested Goodes in for mcglynn but with the likely wet weather in not sure anymore.

I have a feeling there may be two changes though. Horse rarely changes more than two unless dictated by injury. That is all i predict. Two in and two out and rohan to start not sub

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsman View Post
    Anybody in for Grundy. Even Alex Johnson with one knee
    +1
    sprite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    +1
    +2

There will be no changes unless Heeney cant come up.

In which case its a question of Goodes or Towers as his replacement. I think Towers gives us more than Goodes at the moment.

As for the calls for drops, lets be realistic....
    Pyke is our only ruckman. He's first selected.
    McGlynn has only just come back, and needs match fitness.

The loss to freo wasnt due to player form, it was poorly executed game plan in the first half. Bombing to Sandilands is just dumb football.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    +1. Pyke and KT as the ruck combo have been going OK. Against Freo they did really well. I wouldn't change a thing here, let them keep building form.

The loss was due to the mids getting beaten to the ball too often, too many missed tackles and superb pressure from Freo. We showed in the second half we can match it with anyone if we run just as hard and move the ball quickly. So for me, a much bigger question is what we do about our run? Jetts and Cunnigham didn't impact the game in either attack or defence. On the other hand, Rohan looked really good when he subbed in. I ask myself should he be kept in the sub role for his obvious ability to impact; or should he play the whole game but then be unlikely to be dominant in the last qtr. I keep getting a different answer each time I ask myself this.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

They reckon another east coast low might be forming. Not as bad as last week but still fairly damp. Saturday forecast to be the worst. Of course!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast