Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 4: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Yes the Sydney Hills Eagles dropped out along with Queanbeyan and Belconnen.
    Well that's disappointing, and hopefully only a short term outcome.

You don't want all these boys who put years into the academies, who aren't pick up in the draft, lost to the game. It has been shown that a few years of development in a high level league can make all the difference.

I would expect that once these guys start coming through the demand should increase.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

The game has a live feed for those who can't make it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm9U7Pdv7xg

Reasonably good crowd

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Reasonably good crowd
    Very pro Sydney uni. Even from the guys wearing swans stuff

Hard slog. Uni on top and should be further ahead. Halftime 2.4 16 to 3.9 27

Goals Nankervis Hiscox

Tough weather. Tough to see the stands so empty! Sloggy, wet, wet, wet! I'm crossing my fingers for the boys, but from point of view of weather alone,
    it's not going to be the best show. Just get over the line and I'll be happy!

- - - Updated - - -

Shame too about the live feed, but for those who are interested, entire re-play up tomorrow on You-Tube!

@swansreserves: Full time @neaflofficial @sydneyswans 10.9 69 @suanfc 3.10 28. Goals: Nankervis Hiscox McGlynn Newman Hewett Jack Foote Reinhard + 2 more

That's an amazing final score. I left at half time with Sydney Uni leading 3.9 to Swans 2.4. Sydney Uni's only score in the second half must have been a solitary point while the Swans kicked 8.5!
    The very vocal Sydney Uni supporters must have gone very quiet in the second half!
    I didn't think any of the Swans players had stood out in the first half but obviously there were some real contributors in the second. I look forward to hearing more and seeing who is in the best players list.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    That's an amazing final score. I left at half time with Sydney Uni leading 3.9 to Swans 2.4. Sydney Uni's only score in the second half must have been a solitary point while the Swans kicked 8.5!
    The very vocal Sydney Uni supporters must have gone very quiet in the second half!
    I didn't think any of the Swans players had stood out in the first half but obviously there were some real contributors in the second. I look forward to hearing more and seeing who is in the best players list.
    Funnily enough, our period of dominance coincided with the heaviest rain of the whole day. It was close to a torrential downpour and yet we managed to create more scoring shots than we had in the relatively drier first half. In the first half Uni were definitely the better team and would have been left ruing the fact they didn't take their numerous chances to open a bigger half time lead.

I'll have to admit my mind was only half on watching the game, partly distracted by thinking about the seniors' loss as well as the terrible weather. Just looking back at my tweets, the goals in the 3rd quarter were due to a combination of Uni errors, Uni indiscipline (off the ball free kick awarded to Newman then a 50m pen. on top of that for Uni defender remonstrating), some luck but also our ability to win more of the ball in the wet, and keeping the pressure on Uni by pinning them in their own half for long periods. Coach Crouchner must have revved them up at half time.

McGlynn had a head full of stream early on, maybe due to the seniors losing or being dropped or both, he have away a few free kicks going in a little clumsily. His best period was in the last quarter where he was influential around goals and probably could have kicked more if he wasn't so unselfish in passing chances away to teammates.

Jones played a lot of the first half as a deep lying small defender, he didn't lose any one on ones and was strong in holding his ground. Was pushed further up the ground later on.

Marsh mopped up a lot of loose ball in our defensive 50 and was very composed there, I was quite impressed and probably the best game I've seen him play live. Richards had a intriguing battle with Jacob Derickx, both look quite similar size-wise. Davis also performed well when we were under the pump early on, had some strong punches.

Hiscox and Jack both played midfield but also were often positioned across half forward. The idea was the kick the ball forward into space and back these 2 speedsters to run ahead of their markers. They both kicked goals this way, but Jack's was a nice bounce that went through the main goalposts, a kick that was originally meant for Hiscox. I didn't think Hewett had that great of a game and celebrating his goal, the last of the match, with such gusto was probably a little over the top given the outcome was beyond doubt.

I thought Nankervis was our easily best player in the first half, a big imposing target up forward who managed to take a few strong marks even in the wet and also chased and tackled and competed for the ground balls with determination. He really caused Uni a lot of trouble as they didn't have anyone of appropriate height to put on him.

Rose was one of our improvers after half time. Playing as a wingman he started getting more into the game with more possessions and showed some evasive skills, a baulk, a shimmy and a swerve were all part of his repertoire, probably deserved a goal but didn't finish off his chances.

I first spotted Newman after the half time break, but he could have been on in the 2nd quarter as it was hard to make out play down the Randwick end of the ground. He started in defence but also spent time forward and even had a stint on the ball. He looks to have a penetrating left kick and is a decent size but I will reserve my judgment until I see more of him, especially in games when the weather is more conducive to normal football.

McLaren spent a lot of time in the first half on the bench, then went down to the race after consulting with the trainers. Looked a bit proppy but returned to play as a tall defender in the 2nd half. Except for one driving kick inside 50 that eventually led to a goal, I don't think he touched the ball much. He has rid himself of the man-bun and wearing the famous #30 jumper, playing fullback, reminded me of LRT.

And no the Uni supporters didn't pipe down even while losing, I think the owners of the bar was glad he kept it open as they drank most of the beer during the 5-8pm period.

Swans 1.1 2.4 9.6 10.9 (68)
    Uni 2.3 3.9 3.9 3.10 (28)
    Last edited by ugg; 2nd May 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks Ugg, that's a great report. I can confirm the torrential downpour. I left at half time to walk home and within 5 minutes down came that rain. I was soaked by the time I got home (20 min walk). And yes I agree the bar was doing well from those Sydney Uni supporters, even before I left.

Senior Player
    Cheers Ugg. Promising reports regarding Marsh and Jones, because we need to re-vamp our defence a bit, at least by moving Rampe into the midfield. Hopefully Aliir is back next week, too.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Could Marsh play Shaw's role? I know he is fast enough but is he clean enough and calm enough under pressure?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast