Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 5 V Western Bulldogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'd argue its fair enough for people to have come to the conclusion that he isn't in the best 22, and therefore shouldn't be selected - I don't see how that is being disrespectful. Its not like his decline has happened overnight - its been obvious both last season and this season that time has caught up with one of the greats of our sport. I expect he will get till the mid season break (maybe missing the Hawks game) to prove himself - but I'm happy to say that, if I was picking the 22 (lucky for us we aren't as I'm sure I wouldn't be a very good coach), I don't think he would be in my best 22. I'm more than happy to see him prove me wrong.

On your point about making wholesale changes, I don't think anyone is really stating to throw the whole lot out with the bath water. But I wish we would seek to emulate the Hawks in some ways (not the arrogance of their fan base) - in particular in the way that, even as the dominant team of the last couple of years, they've still found ways to consistently expose younger players to games. It helps create a much broader depth for the club - you only have to look at last week. Both Frawley and Lake out, but they hardly missed a beat in defence against North. Would we be the same if Grundy and Teddy were missing, or say Grundy and Rampe? We just don't have the depth across the ground - and a lot of that comes to the fact that younger guys on the fringes of the team find it exceptionally difficult to get game time. That is in part due to the great success we've had in recent years, but as the Hawks have shown, you can integrate younger players as well. That's why its been good to see Heeney go straight into the 1st 22. Hopefully if Mills is as good as we are told, he will see a similar treatment next year (assuming a good pre-season etc).
    Yes I'm happy with people putting that POV mcs, constructively, but some of the comments during the match day thread were really dismissive.

I agree with integrating new players too, but we have to be sure that they're up for it and not just coming in for the sake of it. I was delighted Heeney came in and was right behind Lloyd coming in last year. Strategic integration is great, but I agree that we don't have the depth to do it across the ground. I'm very hopeful that some of our young defenders develop quickly, as AJ did. There's little doubt that the trade ban hurt us, as Joel Patful was just who we needed.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    There's little doubt that the trade ban hurt us, as Joel Patful was just who we needed.
    Who needs Patful when you've got MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Come on Ludwig you're better than that!
    Actually, I think that we should be thankful that the injury wasn't corked buttocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, I think that we should be thankful that the injury wasn't corked buttocks.
    Not thankful enough.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021