Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Senior Player
    Umpiring seems to be an integral part of the AFL equalisattion scheme????
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Pleasing to see Aliir and Melican back although both are underdone. Nic Newman is showing promise and seems to have the skills and poise for senior footy.Cunningham and Towers did not really make much of a statement about senior recall. Hewitt, Robbo, Jack and Jones all seemed viable alternatives.Rose continues to impress. Jones off after a heavy head hit. Hiscox improving and looking promising. Marsh servicable but Lamb could have kicked 6 on him if he kicked straight

Senior Player
    Oh and unconfuseme, Kilpatrick got a numbr of possessions and was competitive. Can take a mark and does not look out of place in this company.

Pushing for Selection
    Jones didn't do much for mine, goes in hard ,but doesn't use it. Naismith has great skills for a big man, newman is a great kick and Hewitt reminds me of cotchin. hiscox should play instead of jetta, just kick it out in front and he runs hard and all day. young hadden goes harder than Cunningham and towers. They do play a lot like the ones though, just kick it in long , no one leads up to the ball.

But was a good game to watch even on you tube. B Jack is a crossroad, anyone ready for ones footy should be a standout in this comp..the only one who deserves it is Big Sammy I reckon.

Rose may be an answer as a crumbing forward, I think today he was running to much. He should stay at the feet of the three big dudes.
    Last edited by Simo; 9th May 2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling and added comment

Senior Player
    Agree with everuthing you say simo, Jones is currently at the tail end of a very even midfield group imho. Yes Hiscox will be breathing down Jetta's neck before long.If only Jack could develop some poise with his finishing.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Best Players: , H. Marsh , J. Hiscox , A. Davis , S. Naismith , T. Nankervis , Z. Jones

Pushing for Selection
    Sorry ugg
    Marsh was not best, not by a mile. Lamb had him covered and could have kick 6. he did a few things ok but ...far from our best.
    Hiscox is jetta rish, in and out.Difference is he finished. Abe was good, learning quickly. Nanka did nothing apart from show
    he can tackle, no ruck work, gave away frees.
    Naismith was best and the biggest potential in that side. He is like Goldstein
    Newman is quality as said before. .

Jones=Cunningham=b. jack.

Not my best players list, just pasting the official ones

Stats

As you can see from the stats below, the Giants dominated player and particularly inside 50 entries. But they failed to convert many of them, some due to some desperate and excellent Swans defending and others through just pure profligacy. They were also hampered by losing Lobb very early in the first quarter and Mohr midway through the 2nd quarter meaning they only had 2 rotations on the bench for the majority of the match.

Like Simo said I wouldn't have Marsh as BOG. I thought he was excellent in the first quarter, reading the play well and coming across to help when needed. But he had his hands full with Lamb's trickery and Jed was on top in the 2nd quarter but only booted 3 behinds, including 2 from set shots. Lamb was very lively in the last quarter including a great one out mark against Marsh 25m out. Davis was the best of the talls down back, showed a real cool composure down back. Aliir and especially Melican were quieter by comparison.

Not sure who I would have given BOG to in Marsh's stead as I don't think anyone from our side particularly stood out, especially over 4 quarters. Hewett was prominent in the 2nd half especially in the 3rd quarter and Robinson was also solid alongside him but both overshadowed by Kelly's outstanding performance. We tried a number of players on him, Foote and Cunningham were a couple that came to mind, but no one could curb his influence.

Hiscox has now kicked 6 NEAFL goals this year and I'll bet at least 50% of them have come from him using his elite pace to get to the loose ball before anyone, friend or foe, and running into the open goal square. Definitely a pre-planned move that has come off a few times. Jack hardly touched the ball in the first half but found more of it in the 2nd half. I wish he'd get more of the ball because he's a really smart user of the ball kicking into our forward 50.

The ruck setup was interesting. In the first quarter, Derickx was the main ruck with Naismith and Nankervis playing as tall forwards. For ruck contests in the forward line, Nankervis would contest with Derickx sitting a kick behind play. Naismith not involved at all. However Naismith moved into the main ruck spot in the 2nd quarter and rucked most of it. Third quarter Derickx mainly again and 4th quarter was a mixture of the 3. Naismith showed the most as a forward though, he is the most agile of the trio and kicked a peach of a goal with a right foot check side kick. Derickx competes well in the ruck but seems lost around the ground. Just a fraction too slow with the ball or when contesting a mark. Doesn't have much of a footy brain.

Newman sat out the first quarter so to finish with 17 disposals is a pretty good effort. Took most of the kick ins and has a penetrating left foot. He also possesses the evasive skills to work his way around would-be tacklers. Rose showed glimpses playing across half forward and on a wing, he has a long penetrating right kick. Towers was okay without ever dominating playing as a forward. Took a strong contested mark for one of his two goals.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Sorry ugg
    Marsh was not best, not by a mile. Lamb had him covered and could have kick 6. he did a few things ok but ...far from our best.
    Hiscox is jetta rish, in and out.Difference is he finished. Abe was good, learning quickly. Nanka did nothing apart from show
    he can tackle, no ruck work, gave away frees.
    Naismith was best and the biggest potential in that side. He is like Goldstein
    Newman is quality as said before. .

Jones=Cunningham=b. jack.
    Odd statement that Jetta isn't a 'finisher' given his goal tonight. 24 possessions too.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    There is something very strange going on with Harry Marsh. Cunningham for example gets 24 disposals and 118 Dream Team points while Marsh has 8 disposals and 33 Dream Team points. Marsh's disposals must have all been absolute pearlers; he is our best and Cunningham also ran. Go figure.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast