Thread: Round 5: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    profligacy.

What the hell is that? I'm scared to look it up

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post
    What the hell is that? I'm scared to look it up
    wasteful

I'm a fan of Hewett, and hoped we would pick him up. He was youngest in his draft (like Hannebery) and just one of those player who looks class. He looked like he had a bit of filling out to do - which he is doing quite well - but what's the story? I didn't see the game, but 10 tackles and 10 clearances and can't crack the best list?

I understand that some players, particularly senior players are graded differently - but surely at this stage Hewett isn't one of those?!?

And Josh Kelly - can't do anything at senior level and turns in a performance like that when dropped. He won't get back into a team that upset the Hawks.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Full replay. Action starts about 5:30 in

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Full replay. Action starts about 5:30 in

Well, that's then next 3 hours taken care of I guess...
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Well, that's then next 3 hours taken care of I guess...
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regular in the Side
    Harry Marsh official best 3 weeks in a row. Who is picking the official best players. Harry's Mother!

Veterans List
    No way is Marsh best with under 10 disposals, his Mum MUST be doing the best players!

At least one vacancy in the seniors next week and no one is really kicking down the selection door ala Hannebury, Parker, Mitchell have in the past. For mine either Cunningham goes back up or we finally give Hewett a debut. Please not Towers or three week in a row best player Mrs Marsh's son!

On thinking about it, debut Hewett, Cunningham has gone backwards this year.

I agree with Ugg's analysis and add the following:

It was apparent that GWS dominated the midfield even though we more than broke even in the ruck contests. I wasn't really sure why that was the case. The stats would say that their dominance was even greater than it seemed on the video. Once GWS got the ball to the outside they seemed hard to stop, so there seems to be something missing in our defensive coverage in the midfield. They seemed to have more polish and coordination than we did. That said, we didn't play badly and the game was close till the end.

Cunningham played most of the game in the midfield and was okay. He looked to have a focus on tackling, which is something he needs to do. I think he is most likely to come in for Heeney unless Horse is looking to experiment with someone new.

Towers kicked 2 nice goals and looked good at times. He was harder at the contest, but went out of the game in large stretches.

Hewett is developing into a consistent inside midfielder. I was trying to think of what type of player he reminds me of and it's Dane Beams. He just goes from contest to contest, gets the ball and can dispose of it quickly and efficiently by both hand and foot. I'm not sure how he gets into the senior side at this point given that we already have a full deck of inside mids. And I don't know how he would go in a Heeney type forward role.

Nic Newman looks like a bigger steal than Heeney. At least we had to use our first round pick for Heeney. Nic looks to have all the poise and tools for AFL footy and with more game fitness under his belt should come into contention for senior selection. Could be our next Malceski. Has great vision and awareness. See target. Hits target.

I don't know if Abe Davis is ready for senior footy yet, but at this stage looks the most likely to make the grade among our KPDs. Melican did a few things that would suggest he could develop into something, but he's quite young and has a lot to learn.

A real bright spot is the development of our 2 young ruckmen. Naismith is very agile and quick for someone his height and is very solid in the ruck contests. Nankervis must have a big Mummy poster in his bedroom, because he's likes the crash and bash and has the added value of taking a strong mark and is a good kick for goal. Lucky Pyke had a strong game this week. Both these guys could come in and do a decent job. My whipping boy, Tom Derickx looks an improved player from last year, but not up to the level of the other 2. Tom did the bulk of the ruck work and did it with more purpose. He also looks a better player around the ground.

Hiscox could be a good option for the sub as he can impact a game with his pace. He still needs work on his defensive game. Despite his speed he is easy for opposition to run around. Needs to develop that Rohan type run down from behind and put more pressure on the ball carrier.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 10th May 2015 at 01:52 PM.

Senior Player
    What did you think of robinsons game Ludwig ?

Robinson has been my pick for the next midfielder to try at senior level. He's been a consistent performer throughout and has a solid and intelligent all around game. I liken him a lot to Jake Lloyd and we know what happened there. Cunningham took Robbo's spot in the centre for most of the game. He may have also been tagged or at least targeted for some physical pressure by GWS's Barrett, the combination of the 2 reduced his influence in the game. Nonetheless, I would still put him ahead of Hewett at this point, but suspect that Hewett will be the better player in the long run.

Senior Player
    Robinson was still 3rd in the dream team ranking his stats looked good a little down from previous weeks but against quality opposition.

The thing that is interesting and hard to pick is how much improvement players have in them when they make senior selection or have they peaked in the reserves with nothing else to
    Give in the seniors in a considerably faster and harder game

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast