Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Just watch the game and the player I feel has great hands and skills was rose. Starting to see what they saw in him now. If you watch him up against two opponents his turns them inside out with quick hands, and also covers a lot of ground , working high up the ground. One to watch in coming weeks, he looks like an very good small forward with nice quick hands and good long kick.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Could Rose be a smokey to replace Heeney?
    He's the only one of the reserves that seems to be a natural/genuine small forward.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    Agree with earlier post that Nic Newman looks a real player, a shame that he missed most of pre-season as I reckon he could slot straight into Nic Mal's half back flank. He is a class above NEAFL level

Senior Player
    As others have said, thanks for all the info on the ressies, everyone; with special mention to ugg. This thread every week is by far my main motivation for visiting RWO.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Agree with earlier post that Nic Newman looks a real player, a shame that he missed most of pre-season as I reckon he could slot straight into Nic Mal's half back flank. He is a class above NEAFL level
    I like the look of him a lot - give him a bit of time to get some fitness then I think he will really be pushing for a spot in the seniors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Could Rose be a smokey to replace Heeney?
    He's the only one of the reserves that seems to be a natural/genuine small forward.
    I was very impressed by how clean his hands were on the weekend, often in quite congested areas. Not sure he is quite ready for a call up yet, but as you say he fits that role that Heeney has been playing. I think Rose has plenty of decent potential however, I liked the glimpses of his talent on show on Saturday.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree with Ugg's analysis and add the following:

It was apparent that GWS dominated the midfield even though we more than broke even in the ruck contests. I wasn't really sure why that was the case. The stats would say that their dominance was even greater than it seemed on the video. Once GWS got the ball to the outside they seemed hard to stop, so there seems to be something missing in our defensive coverage in the midfield. They seemed to have more polish and coordination than we did. That said, we didn't play badly and the game was close till the end.

Cunningham played most of the game in the midfield and was okay. He looked to have a focus on tackling, which is something he needs to do. I think he is most likely to come in for Heeney unless Horse is looking to experiment with someone new.

Towers kicked 2 nice goals and looked good at times. He was harder at the contest, but went out of the game in large stretches.

Hewett is developing into a consistent inside midfielder. I was trying to think of what type of player he reminds me of and it's Dane Beams. He just goes from contest to contest, gets the ball and can dispose of it quickly and efficiently by both hand and foot. I'm not sure how he gets into the senior side at this point given that we already have a full deck of inside mids. And I don't know how he would go in a Heeney type forward role.

Nic Newman looks like a bigger steal than Heeney. At least we had to use our first round pick for Heeney. Nic looks to have all the poise and tools for AFL footy and with more game fitness under his belt should come into contention for senior selection. Could be our next Malceski. Has great vision and awareness. See target. Hits target.

I don't know if Abe Davis is ready for senior footy yet, but at this stage looks the most likely to make the grade among our KPDs. Melican did a few things that would suggest he could develop into something, but he's quite young and has a lot to learn.

A real bright spot is the development of our 2 young ruckmen. Naismith is very agile and quick for someone his height and is very solid in the ruck contests. Nankervis must have a big Mummy poster in his bedroom, because he's likes the crash and bash and has the added value of taking a strong mark and is a good kick for goal. Lucky Pyke had a strong game this week. Both these guys could come in and do a decent job. My whipping boy, Tom Derickx looks an improved player from last year, but not up to the level of the other 2. Tom did the bulk of the ruck work and did it with more purpose. He also looks a better player around the ground.

Hiscox could be a good option for the sub as he can impact a game with his pace. He still needs work on his defensive game. Despite his speed he is easy for opposition to run around. Needs to develop that Rohan type run down from behind and put more pressure on the ball carrier.
    Agree with all of this. We definitely have some depth players at most positions and there are a few that could be pushing out a couple of senior players in the coming weeks (Shaw/Goodes).

There were 4 who stood out to me, in this game....

In no particular order .... Rose, Newman, Hewitt, Naismith

All these guys look like they could more than hold their own at AFL level.

Look forward to seeing them in the 1's at some stage.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I was very impressed by how clean his hands were on the weekend, often in quite congested areas. Not sure he is quite ready for a call up yet, but as you say he fits that role that Heeney has been playing. I think Rose has plenty of decent potential however, I liked the glimpses of his talent on show on Saturday.
    When he was drafted a lot of experts likened him to Steve Johnson at a similar age (who was also drafted in a similar position IIRC). Pretty handy comparison.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL MVP votes

10: Josh Kelly (UWS Giants)
    7: Harry Marsh (Sydney Swans)
    5: Curtly Hampton (UWS Giants)
    3: Caleb Marchbank (UWS Giantss)
    2: Jack Hiscox (Sydney Swans)
    2: Sam Reid (UWS Giants)
    1: Harry Cunningham (Sydney Swans)

Break down

5 - Kelly, Kelly
    4 - Marsh, Hampton
    3 - Marchbank, Marsh
    2 - Hiscox, Reid
    1 - Cunningham, Hampton

So the umpires had a good impression of Marsh's game as well.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Highlights from 1:14

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    NEAFL MVP votes

10: Josh Kelly (UWS Giants)
    7: Harry Marsh (Sydney Swans)
    5: Curtly Hampton (UWS Giants)
    3: Caleb Marchbank (UWS Giantss)
    2: Jack Hiscox (Sydney Swans)
    2: Sam Reid (UWS Giants)
    1: Harry Cunningham (Sydney Swans)

Break down

5 - Kelly, Kelly
    4 - Marsh, Hampton
    3 - Marchbank, Marsh
    2 - Hiscox, Reid
    1 - Cunningham, Hampton

So the umpires had a good impression of Marsh's game as well.
    From a quick skim of the video, Doug Hadden looked like a stand-out. I've never heard of him before; was this his first game?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    From a quick skim of the video, Doug Hadden looked like a stand-out. I've never heard of him before; was this his first game?
    Nah, Douggie Hadden has been a semi-regular top up for the reserves for the past 3 or 4 seasons at least. I love him. Hard as nails and runs all day. He must be in his early 20s by now, and also plays for Sydney Uni when not playing for the Swans reserves. His skills are a little ragged at times, and he is probably just a little small to have a shot at playing at AFL level (given he's not overly quick and his skills aren't top notch). But he's great for the reserves. He always reminds me a little of Wade Chapman, with his reckless attack on the ball. Just doesn't also possess the exquisite skills that Chapman had.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast