Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Round 6 vs. Melbourne

Buddy's radar has been a little off and his confidence in his kicking is down over the past few weeks, hence his reluctance to kick for goal. He played similarly in his first hit out against the Hawks last year. There's absolutely no way our coaching staff would instruct last year's Coleman medalist not to kick for goal.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    The only one he really passed off was to Ted, and the only reason he passed it was because it was a chance for the fullback to kick a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    My elderly Dad was not keen when we first landed Buddy but was happy to change his mind upon seeing him play live in Swans colours last year. He can spend a whole game just studying Buddy's movements during a game. He is convinced Buddy made a conscious effort last night not to shoot for goal for most of the second half. He handballed and passed or tapped to other players even though he was in positions to take shots at goal he would normally kick with ease. Is it possible he is injured or was it a tactic to get the others into the game?
    We were fiddling a lot with tactics in the 2nd half, with players shifting all over the place - so it might have been part tactical. But his kicking isn't in the best rhythm at the moment, so like any footballer, he might be a bit nervous about it and lacking a bit of confidence.

One thing I liked was the return of the midfielders rotating more through the forward line, especially Kennedy and Parker. That was a real strength of the 2012 Premiership team, and something we need to do a lot more of against the better teams.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We were fiddling a lot with tactics in the 2nd half, with players shifting all over the place - so it might have been part tactical. But his kicking isn't in the best rhythm at the moment, so like any footballer, he might be a bit nervous about it and lacking a bit of confidence.

One thing I liked was the return of the midfielders rotating more through the forward line, especially Kennedy and Parker. That was a real strength of the 2012 Premiership team, and something we need to do a lot more of against the better teams.
    I suspect that some of the positional changes were prompted by our injuries and players taking time out to recover. If so the results were encouraging.
    And I agree about the mids rotating through the forwards. As someone said earlier, probably down to Mitchell's presence.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I suspect that some of the positional changes were prompted by our injuries and players taking time out to recover. If so the results were encouraging.
    And I agree about the mids rotating through the forwards. As someone said earlier, probably down to Mitchell's presence.
    I agree with that. What we need to do is not target the KPP all the time when they are double teamed or the opp have an intercept player. If they are doing that then we have a loose player somewhere and we need to use them. If we do that maybe out forward entries might actually post dividends instead of only shooting at 48% efficiency for forward entries. The 5 most good sides have is about 66% or more. We score less than 50% which is terrible.

Liked Joey going forward more, Parks does it all the time and has done for a while now but Joey normally would rest on the bench.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Now that you say it I suspect you're right about that. The five off to Richards was one that he would have taken a set shot for every day of the week. The fact that we saw so many more rotations to full forward ( including Richards) makes me think buddy was under instruction to not take any shots for goal. The second half was essentially used as a training exercise by Longmire. That also explains why Melbourne won the second half because Longmire had a whole lot of guys playing out of position so they could gain match practice out of position for the sake of versatility going forward. I think that's wise. The first half was confidence building the second half was training / match practice
    Had a good look at buddy when he was not in the action. He did not like look he was walking too freely, I believe he was carrying some injury out there last night. Isaac Heeney- First time I have seen him live for a quarter and a half. OMG he is good! Just hope he does not have leg issues, its the only thing they may stop him becoming a champion. Thought Rohan was good and Jetta played his best game since about 2012.Goodsey.. Not convinced he still has it yet. Did a couple of good things but some of his chasing and tackling was ordinary, plus he is easy to side step these days.

Veteran Site Admin
    Yeah, I thought something was up with Buddy. He was very subdued - not in the sense he didn't work hard, but his disposal was off, and he didn't have that strut about him that he usually has. That said, it would be strange to play him further up the ground than normal if he was carrying some injury that was restricting him. Indeed, against the Dees it would be very strange to play him at all if he was carrying something.

He definitely went through extended form slumps at the Hawks, especially with his goal kicking. That's why I see this win as a pretty major positive. We can't expect him to win us every game as he often did last year. Plus, if there's a good time for a superstar to have a rough patch, I'd much rather it be early in the season.

Anyway, I reckon he'll have a big game against the Cats as he likes the big stage.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Now that you say it I suspect you're right about that. The five off to Richards was one that he would have taken a set shot for every day of the week. The fact that we saw so many more rotations to full forward ( including Richards) makes me think buddy was under instruction to not take any shots for goal. The second half was essentially used as a training exercise by Longmire. That also explains why Melbourne won the second half because Longmire had a whole lot of guys playing out of position so they could gain match practice out of position for the sake of versatility going forward. I think that's wise. The first half was confidence building the second half was training / match practice
    If that was match practice in the second half then we made a complete botch of it.
    I now agree with people about Rampe's disposal. What is it with him when he has the footy in space, and now wants hang on to the footy and stop and prop. Ok if he is looking for an option but most he picks the wrong option and kicks it way short of his target.
    McGlynn gets it in the pocket, looks to centre to a target and proceeds to kick a worm burner. His poor kicking skills are so ingrained in him.
    All players were guilty of this one; Tippett and Buddy, or other forward for that, make a lead and we kick it too their opposite side.
    Someone made the point of Melbourne double teaming our key forwards so we have a loose man, but the loose man doesn't present. When Rohan presents on the lead he usually gets the mark. So why doesn't he do it more often. He disappears for too long in a match. He had a chance to tear that game apart but it was late in the game when he really showed what he can. I still think we should use him as a ruck rover where he roams the ground and makes space to open up the game with his pace.
    Both Kennedy and Parker had plenty of it but Kennedy in particular had a host of horrible kicks forward. Parker just seemed to kick it. Contrast Mitchell who seemed to find space in close when it didn't seem to exist and although appearing to not be a really strong kick, mostly was clean by foot. KJ just seemed to kick in hope.
    This is why our scoring percentage on inside 50's has dropped so much. We had 61 to 31 inside 50's and should have won by 100 points. We had 49 clangers to 39. A bad stat for mine given how much free and easy possession we had.
    Yes we won it easy and a win is a win, but we will get smashed by good sides with that efficiency and slow and stodgy footy.

Roosey seems to have an issue saying
    Sydney or The Swans .
    In the Presser kept saying anything but :
    "The opposition "
    "the other team"
    Just thought it was odd ...

It's probably so he doesn't actually refer to Sydney as "us". Old habits can die hard.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Regular in the Side
    Nico ... I completely agree ... but most on here just seem to be dreaming about this being a satisfactory outing.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast