Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Match Day Thread Round 6 vs. Melbourne

Harsh judges. The difference between the best and worst teams in the afl is not that great. Any win interstate by more than 30 points is a cause for wild celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Nico ... I completely agree ... but most on here just seem to be dreaming about this being a satisfactory outing.
    Our goal kicking and disposal in general has been poor this year. But frankly, what can we do? You are talking about some of best players not kicking well. It's the truth, but we've got no one better to bring in. We just have to hope that they get their skill level up.

I watched the PA v WCE game and if you think our kicking is bad I can only imagine what the supporters of both those clubs must be saying. It was an exciting game filled with skill errors from both sides.

The only team that seems to kick straight consistently is Hawthorn, and even they must be doing something wrong to be 3-3 this year. It seems the standard of footy has gone down this year. Even teams playing well don't seem to be able to do it consistently. Every game is a danger game, because you really don't know what team is going to show up on the day. It makes for an interesting year that will frustrate many fans not to mention coaches.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Job done tonight - nothing special, but had more than enough to deal with what Melbourne could throw at us. A bit disappointed we took the foot off the gas in the last quarter and a half.

Kennedy was superb tonight -BOG for mine. Honorable mention for Tom McDonald from Melbourne, he did a fine job on Buddy. He is a really decent defender in the making, stuck playing for a very poor team at the moment.
    It was not a bad win, but you are never really going to get a good gauge of how you are going against what I think are a poor opposition.

I really think Longmire is very unhappy about the way we kick the ball in to our forward 50. We have such a good forward line, but so often the ball is not kicked to the forwards advantage. Bird is regularly guilt of it (albeit he is usually under pressure). It's hard to knock any other aspect of his game other than he is a bit slow. Longmire has barely recognised Mitchell for nearly 60 possessions in his first two games - I think he is actually not happy with him. His disposal by hand is Diesel like, but his kicking is well below average (again usually under pressure). Have a look at Longmires reaction to a poor entry by Rohan in the second QTR to Franklin - classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's probably so he doesn't actually refer to Sydney as "us". Old habits can die hard.
    Yes, and I suspect that I'm one of the many Swans fans who still see Roosy as one of us. In fact, I probably think of him as the head of our academy, who's on a bit of leave, rather than an opposition coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post
    Well done putting the moz on Heeney
    Sorry should have put a wink in there
    The Geelong players look so fit, don't they? I hope they're not struck down with something just before our game. Well, nothing contagious anyway.

The match was not so bad, still much work to be done and we can build from here. I think injuries spooked us a little so we dialled it back in the 4th, understandably cautious. Which would you rather; crush the Demons by a ton or Tippo and Teddy out 4-6 weeks? No heroes this round but no villains either, a fairly even contribution to my eyes. Our skills are on the improve, yes really, and though our inside 50's could be far cleaner, our inaccuracy at goal (unlike our last premiership year) is biting us big time. Crack the whip, Nick!

So glad we won, yet so upset we let them in during the last quarter.
    It should have been a total whitewash.
    Kicking 1.7 is not very good for our percentages.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    So glad we won, yet so upset we let them in during the last quarter.
    It should have been a total whitewash.
    Kicking 1.7 is not very good for our percentages.
    So was I upset - I lost the chance of a 5 point bonus for the biggest margin in my footy tipping comp!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by swanwolf View Post
    The Geelong players look so fit, don't they? I hope they're not struck down with something just before our game. Well, nothing contagious anyway.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes, interestingly none for Mitchell from both coaches

Melbourne v Sydney Swans
    10 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
    6 Tom McDonald (Melb)
    4 Kieren Jack (Syd)
    3 Jarrad McVeigh (Syd)
    3 Luke Parker (Syd)
    2 Lewis Jetta (Syd)
    2 Kurt Tippett (Syd)

Breakdown:
    5 Kennedy, Kennedy
    4 McDonald, Jack
    3 McVeigh, Parker
    2 Jetta/Tippett, McDonald
    1 Tippett/Jetta, Tippett/Jetta

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes, interestingly none for Mitchell from both coaches

Melbourne v Sydney Swans
    10 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
    6 Tom McDonald (Melb)
    4 Kieren Jack (Syd)
    3 Jarrad McVeigh (Syd)
    3 Luke Parker (Syd)
    2 Lewis Jetta (Syd)
    2 Kurt Tippett (Syd)

Breakdown:
    5 Kennedy, Kennedy
    4 McDonald, Jack
    3 McVeigh, Parker
    2 Jetta/Tippett, McDonald
    1 Tippett/Jetta, Tippett/Jetta
    Maybe his disposals are too quick for them to notice?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Surprised one of the coaches gave Jack 4...thought he was solid but certainly not 2nd best on ground.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789