Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 8 V Hawthorn

If you want to see whoesale changes week in week out, go follow Carlton or Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Saw LRT today as he descended and I ascended an escalator (KONE, looked like a 2006 model).
    It makes me happy to know that there are people in our community who appreciate a good escalator. I'm not an escalator technician or anything - I just like the idea of escalator aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It makes me happy to know that there are people in our community who appreciate a good escalator. I'm not an escalator technician or anything - I just like the idea of escalator aficionados.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Outstanding...ahhh..the decision making of Matthews...sweet memories
    It's Mathews with one 't' Satch! Ben played for us, not Leigh But yes, those were the days of our blue collar midfield of Cortinas.

I'm loving hearing talk of Lake being rushed back in to the Hawks lineup...

I really hope he plays...Our forwards owe him one.

After 4 weeks on the sidelines, I suspect he'll get what he deserves.... If he's picked.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    Regardless of the GF of last year, there are only two possibilities for the outcome of this game:
    - if the players turn up like they did against Port, we will probably win (providing our attack is more efficient with their kicking).
    - if the players turn up like they did against Freo, we will probably loose (poor decisions in defence by Shaw, Grundy and Rampe are becoming a liability)

Overall, we need to remember that our attack is probably the worst of all top 8 sides in ability to score and our defence is getting worse and we'll have to improve either of them to outscore the Hawks. The weather factor is not taken into account for above scenarios.
    Hawthorn play a brand of footy that does not rely on any one player. Tagging individuals like Mitchell or Hill can be effective but they will still have options like Bourgoyne, Smith, Roughead, Langford, Rioli or Lewis to use.
    For Sydney to win and continue to win against hawthorn we need 22 players prepared to play 4 quarters of relentless, no quarter football.
    Lake, Smith and Lewis will all come back into the team and Hodge and Whitecross apart put them at their strongest for several years.
    Our midfield must win the clearances, contested balls and cause turnovers across the ground.
    We cannot expect our back 6, regardless of personnel to withstand the delivery of pressure free passes that the hawthorn forwards enjoyed in the GF.
    I have seen every game live this year, except Freo, and apart from our performance against Port, have yet to see all 22 sustain the effort for the entire game. Anything less on Saturday will spell disaster, Hawthorn believe they have our measure and on the evidence so do I.
    If they beat us up again, we can't win a GF with this team. Every other team in the comp will see this as a blueprint for their own success.

Having reported on the strategic change, I also have some radical structural changes in mind,
    1. Tippett is too slow to play on the forward line against Hawthorn, on the other hand, he is quicker than Hale or McEvoy, so assuming that either of them play, Tippett should play directly against them i.e. As a back or follower.
    2. Use Reid and Franklin as high half forwards. The Hawthorn backline works best zoning off and helping win turnovers from errant high balls into the defensive 50. By playing these two between the arcs we deny Hawthorn their favoured situation.
    3. Use Goodes exclusively in goal square and forward 50. Against Lake, Gibson or Frawley he may win more ball from this position but more importantly he provides a focal point for our attack that may release the other two talls.
    4. Use Rohan to cover Suckling and Birchall, both these are used as release players delivering the ball further forward and in attack. He has the speed and coverage to stop their penetration by applying pressure.
    5. Use Mitchell's opponent whenever possible. Mitchell has no defensive game, he is a great reader of the game and places himself brilliantly at stoppages and in zones, but he is vulnerable when we have possession. Making him accountable every time we go into attack will prey on his lack of speed and commitment to his defensive side. This is why Ben must get this job. He has the discipline, strength and courage to go with Mitchell all night but still have the skills to run off hi when necessary.
    6. We must protect Hannebery from the snipers. Last year he was cleaned up repeatedly and so far this year other teams have made him the target of similar plans. He is our most damaging midfielder, we must be prepared to stand beside him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Having reported on the strategic change, I also have some radical structural changes in mind,
    1. Tippett is too slow to play on the forward line against Hawthorn, on the other hand, he is quicker than Hale or McEvoy, so assuming that either of them play, Tippett should play directly against them i.e. As a back or follower.
    2. Use Reid and Franklin as high half forwards. The Hawthorn backline works best zoning off and helping win turnovers from errant high balls into the defensive 50. By playing these two between the arcs we deny Hawthorn their favoured situation.
    3. Use Goodes exclusively in goal square and forward 50. Against Lake, Gibson or Frawley he may win more ball from this position but more importantly he provides a focal point for our attack that may release the other two talls.
    4. Use Rohan to cover Suckling and Birchall, both these are used as release players delivering the ball further forward and in attack. He has the speed and coverage to stop their penetration by applying pressure.
    5. Use Mitchell's opponent whenever possible. Mitchell has no defensive game, he is a great reader of the game and places himself brilliantly at stoppages and in zones, but he is vulnerable when we have possession. Making him accountable every time we go into attack will prey on his lack of speed and commitment to his defensive side. This is why Ben must get this job. He has the discipline, strength and courage to go with Mitchell all night but still have the skills to run off hi when necessary.
    6. We must protect Hannebery from the snipers. Last year he was cleaned up repeatedly and so far this year other teams have made him the target of similar plans. He is our most damaging midfielder, we must be prepared to stand beside him.
    I'm liking your ideas. Especially the Tippett and Reid ones. Very interesting. Reid was our tall forward in 2012 after all and that was a good year

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I agree strongly on protecting Hannebery. Hawthorn fear his capacity and used borderline bash tactics to stop him last year after he put his stamp on the GF in 2012. How best to do this I don't know - I'd be tempted to smuggle Barry Hall into the middle, but failing that we need to find some way of reducing his exposure.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    I just had a look at the stats from the GF last year for the first time.
    Pretty depressing reading.

144 less possessions tells the story of the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I agree strongly on protecting Hannebery. Hawthorn fear his capacity and used borderline bash tactics to stop him last year after he put his stamp on the GF in 2012. How best to do this I don't know - I'd be tempted to smuggle Barry Hall into the middle, but failing that we need to find some way of reducing his exposure.
    He will have played that day over in his head numerous times.
    I'm sure he has thought through, and discussed strategies to cope with this sort of attention.
    If Parker can replicate his form last week, the Hawks will have more than enough to handle, and Hanners may have a better game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    He will have played that day over in his head numerous times.
    I'm sure he has thought through, and discussed strategies to cope with this sort of attention.
    If Parker can replicate his form last week, the Hawks will have more than enough to handle, and Hanners may have a better game.
    Hopefully Mitchell helps as well by allowing hanners to play with a bit more space

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast