Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 8 V Hawthorn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Hopefully Mitchell helps as well by allowing hanners to play with a bit more space
    True. Mitchell adds a bit more vigour to the middle.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    True. Mitchell adds a bit more vigour to the middle.
    And allows JPK, Parker and Jack more space as well, not to mention allowing McVeigh to play a bit further back.

Last week's match showed in so many ways why Mitchell is good for the balance of this team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    And allows JPK, Parker and Jack more space as well, not to mention allowing McVeigh to play a bit further back.

Last week's match showed in so many ways why Mitchell is good for the balance of this team.
    Yes. Last week we had Kennedy and obviously Parker take more shots for goal than they have for a long time. You would have to think that's got a lot to do with Mitchell. If you compare the role Mitchell is playing with bird Mitchell is playing in a lot closer than bird usually did. Bird would often play just off the bounce and around the ground Looking for the release like Jack does. Now we have allowed Parker and Kennedy more freedom with Mitchell in so close so the class midfielders are getting more space to work in. Hopefully it stands up against the Hawks this weekend who are absolute masters at that area ( along with every other area of the game )

Veterans List
    Last night I had a dream that we were 10 goals up at quarter time, a la the Cats last year.

And I must have been clearing the dark side of my brain as both Mitchell and Roughly suffered season-ending injuries in heavy but fair tackles (that's the phrase my brain used) as we went on to thrash them and bring their whole season undone.

My dreams have no track record of coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Having reported on the strategic change, I also have some radical structural changes in mind,
    1. Tippett is too slow to play on the forward line against Hawthorn, on the other hand, he is quicker than Hale or McEvoy, so assuming that either of them play, Tippett should play directly against them i.e. As a back or follower.
    2. Use Reid and Franklin as high half forwards. The Hawthorn backline works best zoning off and helping win turnovers from errant high balls into the defensive 50. By playing these two between the arcs we deny Hawthorn their favoured situation.
    3. Use Goodes exclusively in goal square and forward 50. Against Lake, Gibson or Frawley he may win more ball from this position but more importantly he provides a focal point for our attack that may release the other two talls.
    4. Use Rohan to cover Suckling and Birchall, both these are used as release players delivering the ball further forward and in attack. He has the speed and coverage to stop their penetration by applying pressure.
    5. Use Mitchell's opponent whenever possible. Mitchell has no defensive game, he is a great reader of the game and places himself brilliantly at stoppages and in zones, but he is vulnerable when we have possession. Making him accountable every time we go into attack will prey on his lack of speed and commitment to his defensive side. This is why Ben must get this job. He has the discipline, strength and courage to go with Mitchell all night but still have the skills to run off hi when necessary.
    6. We must protect Hannebery from the snipers. Last year he was cleaned up repeatedly and so far this year other teams have made him the target of similar plans. He is our most damaging midfielder, we must be prepared to stand beside him.
    Love your analysis graemed. With Hawthorns forward height I feel we will need Reid in defence. He will be a good match up for Gunston. Or he could run with Bruest.

After what happened last year, I would be expecting the Swans to come out very physically. After reading the following it appears Buddy will be looking for some payback.

Sydney Swans Lance Franklin to show Grant Birchall he is no buddy

I feel we need to draw a line in the sand with Hawthorn. We need to bring a physical presence. The midfield must stand up and not allow their midfield to beat us up again. This is where we are missing Mumford most. Opposition midfielders would be looking over their shoulder with Mummy there. There is no such intimidation with Pyke. Perhaps Tippett could provide some of that that. How about we try Pyke deep with Goodes in the forward 50 and play Tippett more around the ground.

We all know Jones is a tough little bugger and I would love to bring his aggression into the team in place of Shaw. I would send him to Mitchell for the whole game. Cop that Mitchell.

Sewell is also a danger. McGlynn did a great job on Selwood and I would give him the job again. If he runs hard he can hurt them the other way.

I can't see what Towers is bringing to the team and I would like to see Robinson's consistent reserves form rewarded. He is not the ideal sub, but he could bring a fresh fwd/mid replacement late in the game.

Out: Shaw, Towers
    In: Jones, Robinson

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    One problem solved: Sewell has retired.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    One problem solved: Sewell has retired.
    Oops. I meant Lewis.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hazza in for Deano

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Cunningham in for Towers.
    I'm tipping Goodes to be sub again!

On the veteran's list
    Cunningham will be sub
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think Cunningham has been brought in specifically to run with Smith or Hill

Goodes sub for me

Emg Naismith Robinson Towers

Strange no bird given ressies have the bye

Third on Goodes being sub
    Any news on emergencies?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast