Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forward umpires 'hate' most

Buddy does get a raw deal. The umpires are told not to give him frees. That was an issue that came up after 2008 when he kicked 100. Apparently the rumour was that a memo went out to the umpires to play hard-ball with him because he plays for frees. Nobody ever admitted it happened but the press had lots of fun with it. The truth is all players play for frees but most don't get scragged the way he does. Lonigan was literally bear hugging the man on the weekend but Nichol couldn't see it 'I didn't see the holding Bud'. Even Blind Freddy saw the holding Matthew, you need a bloody guide dog.

But what is more concerning are the frees that shouldn't be paid against and the dreadful umpiring decisions like the 8 metre kicks being allowed. Rohan's running too far was an unbelievably bad decision. The two 50 metre penalties were technically wrong because the umpires were too slow to order play on in both cases. Both players went off their line and in the Rampe case the player had handballed before Rampe moved. The umpire was not just technically wrong he was outright wrong and it was Nichol on every occasion. I wrote that seeing the AFL is now indebted to Crown Betting are they susceptible to corruption? To have links to a betting agency that tenuously has links to organised crime is unforgivable. The AFL, a sporting governing body, should NEVER have links to gambling because their honesty will always be in doubt.

Correct on all counts, Wolftone. Is Crown Betting Packer's company? Is that the one where Demetriou got a directorship straight after he left the AFL?
    The possibilities for corruption at all levels are simply mind-boggling.

The call on Rohan was indeed astonishing , he was going very fast and still bouncing it. There were others on the weekend haring towards goal that didn't bounce that were let go and they ran further than Rohan.

It's always been either feast or famine with FF's when it comes to frees and it seems like the same guys are always feasting while some are always famished.

Among the eternally famished over the years have been Buddy, Bazza, Richo, Cloke, Plugger whilst you only had to breathe heavily on Lloyd and StNick and they'd be lining up for goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    It's always been either feast or famine with FF's when it comes to frees and it seems like the same guys are always feasting while some are always famished.

Among the eternally famished over the years have been Buddy, Bazza, Richo, Cloke, Plugger whilst you only had to breathe heavily on Lloyd and StNick and they'd be lining up for goal.
    Yes, Lloyd did seem particularly sensitive to heavy breath, as it seemed to often cause him to swoon to the ground.
    Actually, as I wrote that, I had a vision in my mind of Mathew Lloyd as a toddler, hurling himself on to the supermarket floor in a major tanty and being rewarded by his mother, with the chocolate that he so desperately desired.

I'm not sure what span the article covers but On The Couch had a list of key forwards and their free kicks for and against in 2015 only last night and Buddy came off reasonably well. Jeremy Cameron was at the bottom of the list. I guess the list doesn't show non-decisions mind you. I do agree with a couple of other posters that Franklin does better with the umpires than Hall ever did. Roosy actually talked about their frustrations with Hall's free kick record.

It was also interesting to see that Tippett's F/A free kick count was worse than Franklin's.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm not sure what span the article covers but On The Couch had a list of key forwards and their free kicks for and against in 2015 only last night and Buddy came off reasonably well. Jeremy Cameron was at the bottom of the list. I guess the list doesn't show non-decisions mind you. I do agree with a couple of other posters that Franklin does better with the umpires than Hall ever did. Roosy actually talked about their frustrations with Hall's free kick record.

It was also interesting to see that Tippett's F/A free kick count was worse than Franklin's.
    Its the non decisions that kill Buddy - the instances of players consistently doing what Lonergan did to him on Saturday night and getting away with it for most of the day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    If you listen to Hawthorn supporters they say that Buddy has it easier now !
    I don't listen to Hawthorn supporters But it's a little early to say, he's only had one full season with us.

You want a chart don't you. All of Buddy's frees for + against by year.

franklin_frees.png

Last season he both received and conceded a little more than his career averages. Both his for and against were above the average 5 years out of 9 at Hawthorn. So I'd say he has it about the same with us as them, so far.

EDIT: really this should be corrected for number of games played...just bear that in mind for now.

EDIT: OK, here it is with averages per game instead of totals; does not change things too much.

franklin_frees_avg.png
    Last edited by neilfws; 21st May 2015 at 12:02 AM.

Good work, Neil. But I'm wondering how you correct for the fact that Hawthorn, throughout that time period, have been encouraged to play antisocial football?

Its the glaring unpaid frees that might tell a different story

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's like we have Barry Hall back, I'd forgot how fun it was to implore that a big forward was mugged and got no love from the umpires.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Buddy gets a far better run with the umpires than Plugger or Hall used to get.
    I think Hall was a little hard done by for his left hook on Staker's jaw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast