Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forward umpires 'hate' most

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    People will always think full forwards get a raw deal. The reality is that 1) forwards will always be more inclined than defenders to push the rules of a marking contest because giving away a free is not as costly given the field position and 2) like it or not, I do think umpires adjust their adjudications (even subconciously) based on where on the field the ball is. Giving a FF a 50/50 free that results in a gimme goal will result in far more scrutiny and outrage than incorrectly calling play on or paying the same free in the centre square.

At the end of the day, I think the Swans players and coaches (rightly) focus on what they can control - delivering to advantage, strong contested marking and roving. I can't stand coaches like Lyons and Buckley who whinge about field conditions, rules or umpires, which both teams ultimately have to deal with.
    I agree.
    I experience this a lot playing netball. I find the best umpires are men who generally haven't spent years growing up playing either forward or defence. They're more objective and make decisions based on the rule book rather than personal experience. It's subconscious as you say though

Senior Player
    Am I the only one that cracks the cringes when we get an easy free for in the forward fifty? I hate it. I'd rather a non-call than the Matty Lloyd armchair ride.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Am I the only one that cracks the cringes when we get an easy free for in the forward fifty? I hate it. I'd rather a non-call than the Matty Lloyd armchair ride.
    I also prefer not to get the soft/incorrect frees in front of goal as usually the other 2 umpires watching on the big screen will even things up and you finish off twice as badly off...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    What's the problem? You wouldn't be cringing too often!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm not as outraged at the lack of frees to Buddy as I was with Hally and Plugger which leads me to think that he has it better than those two. (That's in depth scientific analysis I think you'll agree)

Hall would get mugged, have his wallet stolen and the Umps would say incidental contact and call play on. I don't condone the Staker hit but if you watch the game Staker did everything but jump into Hallys pants that night and received zero from the umpires.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123