Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forward umpires 'hate' most

Forward umpires 'hate' most

Nathan Buckley had a go at the umpires last week about Travis Cloke not getting enough free kicks paid to him.
    An article in the paper today had a chart that puts that in the 'rumour' category.

The chart shows that Drew Petrie is the most 'liked' by the umpires and that BUDDY is their least favourite forward, getting the least amount of free kicks for and the most paid against.

Maybe they should tell us something that we don't know.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Yeh I watched that interview with Bucks and the first thing that popped to mind was 'someone get Nathan some footage of Buddy being harassed'. Cloke's treatment is extremely favourable in comparison.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Difference between Buddy/Longmire and Cloke/Buckley?

Buddy and Longmire don't make those excuses and still get results.

Can anyone remember if Buddy received the same treatment whilst at Hawthorn or is it only since he came to Sydney? I think it wouldn't matter which club he played for but I may be wrong.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Can anyone remember if Buddy received the same treatment whilst at Hawthorn or is it only since he came to Sydney? I think it wouldn't matter which club he played for but I may be wrong.
    Don't think anything has changed for Buddy. He got a raw deal at Hawthorn and he still gets a raw deal. Thankfully he's good enough that it doesn't really slow him down too much.

Blog Entries
    A fairer comparison would be frees for and against that are not paid, when they should be.

Buddy does give a lot of silly frees away, as do many other forwards.

People will always think full forwards get a raw deal. The reality is that 1) forwards will always be more inclined than defenders to push the rules of a marking contest because giving away a free is not as costly given the field position and 2) like it or not, I do think umpires adjust their adjudications (even subconciously) based on where on the field the ball is. Giving a FF a 50/50 free that results in a gimme goal will result in far more scrutiny and outrage than incorrectly calling play on or paying the same free in the centre square.

At the end of the day, I think the Swans players and coaches (rightly) focus on what they can control - delivering to advantage, strong contested marking and roving. I can't stand coaches like Lyons and Buckley who whinge about field conditions, rules or umpires, which both teams ultimately have to deal with.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    People will always think full forwards get a raw deal. The reality is that 1) forwards will always be more inclined than defenders to push the rules of a marking contest because giving away a free is not as costly given the field position and 2) like it or not, I do think umpires adjust their adjudications (even subconciously) based on where on the field the ball is. Giving a FF a 50/50 free that results in a gimme goal will result in far more scrutiny and outrage than incorrectly calling play on or paying the same free in the centre square.

At the end of the day, I think the Swans players and coaches (rightly) focus on what they can control - delivering to advantage, strong contested marking and roving. I can't stand coaches like Lyons and Buckley who whinge about field conditions, rules or umpires, which both teams ultimately have to deal with.
    Probably wouldnt have put Lyon in that bracket personally. His mantra is no excuses, not worrying about who is out injured, where they are playing etc. But might have forgotten some examples..
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Buddy gets a far better run with the umpires than Plugger or Hall used to get.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Probably wouldnt have put Lyon in that bracket personally. His mantra is no excuses, not worrying about who is out injured, where they are playing etc. But might have forgotten some examples..
    Try his weekend press conference for starters. He was whinging about not getting the "rub-of-the-green" (Lyon code for "we didn't get enough frees") and the playing surface which both teams had to deal with. Fair enough if he wants to raise it behind the scenes but I find him incredibly ungracious in both victory and defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Try his weekend press conference for starters. He was whinging about not getting the "rub-of-the-green" (Lyon code for "we didn't get enough frees") and the playing surface which both teams had to deal with. Fair enough if he wants to raise it behind the scenes but I find him incredibly ungracious in both victory and defeat.
    I also wouldn't put Lyon in the whinger class. Freo lost the free kick count 24-10, and there were some glaring non-calls when they deserved a free kick. Lyon is a smart man, and I enjoy some of his press conferences where he doesn't put up with rubbish from journalists who a trying to promote their own agenda. His comments on the surface were really an attempt to support Nat Fyfe with his tripping charge. If the same thing happened to one of our players, I would hope Horse would do the same. For Olympic class whinging , reference the Scott Bros or Buckley ( and maguire).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    If you listen to Hawthorn supporters they say that Buddy has it easier now !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast