Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 8 V Hawthorn

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I really liked the banner the team ran through tonight:

WE BLEED RED AND WHITE

WE ARE THE BLOODS

Stirring stuff to run on to, and good to remind them.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Great game. Very, very sweet.

Three votes to Hanners, who's having his best year: mistake free, composed, ball magnet. Jetta is also having his best year: his speed and long kick are critical weapons. We're a better team with Tommy Mitchell; he'll only lose his spot if injured.

Defence was really good, I thought. Led again by Smith; Grundy and Richards typically reliable (good disposal Grundy!). Rampe better.

Goodsey clean and ran out the game really well. Their booing of him was despicable.

They smashed us in the clearances, and as Clarkson said, our goals came from turnovers. When they forced us to go through them, we struggled a bit. They kick typically straight, they win. So still work to do. Great spirit and great effort though, and we'll have improved further by September. Our best mids, Hanners and Parker, are under 25 and just getting better.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    There's a purple team from the west looking ok too!!
    Absolutely. But, Hawthorn haven't played them yet and I think Hawthorn will beat them, ultimately. Interestingly, their only home-and-away game this year is at Launceston, and we play Hawthorn at Homebush the following week.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    I Agree sam Mitchell is a great player but I hate him for his little 10 meter kicks that never get called play on not 15 by the umpires!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Any problems for McVeigh with the MRP? What do people think?
    I would think a fine at worst, given the new tribunal seems pretty lenient. It could possibly be 1 week, but I doubt it.

Also: can I get some clarity about shepherding the man on the mark? It seems like the Hawks were doing it constantly but when Grundy did it once we got reprimanded.
    Shades of the 2005 qualifying final there. Shepherding is legal but running up and decking the man on the mark is illegal. The trick when you are standing the mark is this - as the shepherding player runs up, given them a small bump. Then, when they meet your body contact, drop like you've been shot. Umpires get sucked in by it every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Very glad we are playing Carlton next week. The boys looked absolutely spent after that game. Even singing the song they looked happy, but just not much energy left for celebrating. We can't take Carlton for granted, but chances of beating a tougher team like Freo, or even North would be much lower.

alot of set shots missed by the hawks, very lucky to win but ill take that any day of the week against the scum
    goodes looked back to old form, thought grundy was good, if tippett wasnt getting paid the big bucks id put forward an argument to drop him to the ressies for a bit

Some earlier posters were bagging Pyke. It was not his neatest return tonight but he was in there fighting and chasing at ground level and above the whole game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    alot of set shots missed by the hawks, very lucky to win but ill take that any day of the week against the scum
    goodes looked back to old form, thought grundy was good, if tippett wasnt getting paid the big bucks id put forward an argument to drop him to the ressies for a bit
    Tippet had a good start, does some valuable things. Just aint what we wanted him to be. Not droppable yet.

Pyke is a big man, but doesn't seem as fit as he could be.
    Would love to see more of the Rugby tackles from last week.
    I feel more comfortable with Tippett in the centre at the moment, which is a bit of a worry.

Not sure why we have two of the biggest name forwards, as well as Reid and Goodes, yet we don't have a game plan to kick to them.
    Happy that we beat the Hawks with Buddy at 0 goals.
    If he kicked 5 and we won by 4, Hawks supporters would be claiming their old player at the difference, where as it stands now, we beat them fair and square without and real impact from Franklin.

All the Goodes detractors of late can find a mirror and have a good hard look.
    It's not like he suddenly lost form and was a clear second tier player. For me he's done exactly enough for the roles he's been given (sometimes only enough to be the sub) but he's a champion and committed himself to stepping it up and did.
    Still can't kick for goal any more at 40m out, but he's certainly fit enough for his age. lot of run and position making.

Would love to see McVeigh play more in the forward 50. It's now clear that this is where he will gravitate towards as he gets on.
    Just please stop him from kicking in.

Reid seems also down on confidence, even though he is generally playing well.
    Lot's of fumbles, but not the only one.
    Time to give up on Reid the backman and play him where he should be - in the forward line.
    Also time to look for other options for the future of the back line.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Rhyce Shaw had a lot of scoring shots against him tonight. Who was the brains trust that decided that Rhyce should play on Cyril at one stage? Bloody fool. The worst close defender in the game on the most damaging small man to ever play the game. Other than Nick Davis of course.
    Can Rhyce's feet leave the ground? I get the impression he doesn't even bother jumping anymore.

Shaw really feels like a liability at the moment. He has never been the best defender but he would make up for it with his run and carry; but he doesn't even provide that anymore! When we play the Hawks again at Homebush or potentially on GF day, I'm dreading Shaw getting matched up on one of Breust, Riolo or the slippery Poo. Like many have said already, Jones is the future, he needs to get a run asap and get comfortable in the back 6.

Just finished watching the replay after getting home from the game. Pretty lucky to win really. But a great night to be at the G. Really impressed with the number of Swans fans there tonight. Biggest turnout for many a year at a H&A game. Grundy worries me (plus the rest of the defence for that matter). And, don't write off the Hawks yet. A lot of their disposal efficiency made us look like Ammos' divvy two at times. Reid and Jetts look like they're back and Hanners must be signed for long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Great effort can't fault it but still think we were lucky to get away with it especially at the end. Not only with the Rioli fumble but the Breust and Gunston misses, two guys who are renowned for their accuracy. In the last quarter We had 6 inside 50s for 3.0 while they had 14 entries for 1.4

Still I'll take it
    If you watch the post match for both the coaches, it's clear Longmire felt lucky to win, and Clarkson felt unlucky to lose.

Clarkson particularly unrecognised the effort of the Swans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Any problems for McVeigh with the MRP? What do people think?

Also: can I get some clarity about shepherding the man on the mark? It seems like the Hawks were doing it constantly but when Grundy did it once we got reprimanded.
    Free kick that went unpaid....nothing more.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.