Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Veteran Site Admin
    Nice sentiments in the Swans' segment in this week's edition of Barrett's Sliding Doors.

Sydney Swans
    there's something that is warming our heart this past few weeks ... ... it is Adam Goodes' form. Love everything about him. The man he is. The player he has been and still is. The awareness he has created for all of us.
    Sliding Doors: round 12 - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The writer of this letter (I think for the Geelong paper) is the Anglican bishop for the area. I've copied it from the original as I couldn't get my software to copy it from the paper. I don't know if he'll make the banner, but it'll be interesting to see what does happen.

SHOW GOODES HOW GRATEFUL WE ARE

Geelong plays Sydney on Saturday, August 8, at Kardinia Park. Given his age, it is probably the last time Adam Goodes will play in Geelong.

Can we mark our gratitude for him as a footballer and national leader on the Geelong team banner?

Before each home game there is already a terrific message from our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players.

In contrast to what is happening in other venues, it would be great if Adam Goodes was generously appreciated in Geelong on August 8.

Bishop Philip Huggins
    Point Lonsdale
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The writer of this letter (I think for the Geelong paper) is the Anglican bishop for the area. I've copied it from the original as I couldn't get my software to copy it from the paper. I don't know if he'll make the banner, but it'll be interesting to see what does happen.
    Can't see it happening.
    Lovely thought though.
    Poor Addie is going to cop this crap until he retires.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Given how well Goodsey's has been travelling over the last month, sounds like Bishop Philip Huggins is predicting Geelong will play Sydney only once next year & it'll be a home game for us?

Philip Huggins is a most interesting bishop. He was described in The Age as an ex-hippy when he was first appointed in 2004 and he has been outspoken on various social issues. He was sacked (and then the sacking revoked) by another (presumably very conservative) retiring bishop in 2010.
    And I like this quote:
    "His northern region stretches from Richmond to the northern growth corridor of Craigieburn and Whittlesea. It takes in the MCG, so when the Geelong fan besotted enough to have a mobile phone in blue and white hoops goes to the football, he argues he can claim to be at a regional meeting."

Anglicans install ex-hippy as bishop - www.theage.com.au

Though curiously, it seems as though the Catholics may have gone one better, by installing an ex-hippy as Pope.
    Nice sentiment from Mr Huggins though, it would be nice if it got up, or at least, encourages more people to speak out on the side of common decency.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Given how well Goodsey's has been travelling over the last month, sounds like Bishop Philip Huggins is predicting Geelong will play Sydney only once next year & it'll be a home game for us?
    Yes, gs, I do think that all the predictions of Goodesy's retirement may be a bit premature. Personally, I suspect that he's got his sights set on being the first Swan to reach 400 games.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, gs, I do think that all the predictions of Goodesy's retirement may be a bit premature. Personally, I suspect that he's got his sights set on being the first Swan to reach 400 games.
    And a quadruple Swans premiership winner...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And a quadruple Swans premiership winner...
    ...though possibly a third Brownlow is out of the equation. But of course, a Norm Smith is missing from his collection and that is probably quite achievable.

Goes up to 11
    I really hope he retires at the end of this year.

With a 2015 premiership medallion around his neck.

Yes. The perfect way to end his playing career as a all time great.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I really hope he retires at the end of this year.

With a 2015 premiership medallion around his neck.
    Agree. It would be perfect.