Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

No win situation ,small minded people are so rigid in there thinking nothing will change the thought pattern ! Why in this age are we still so racist, it embarrass me . Goodesy it a champion of his club ,culture and country !

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    No win situation ,small minded people are so rigid in there thinking nothing will change the thought pattern ! Why in this age are we still so racist, it embarrass me . Goodesy it a champion of his club ,culture and country !
    So true. Apparently, there has been significant debate on radio in Melbourne today (going by my Twitter feed). Fans in denial that it has anything to do with racism.

Of course it is an entirely different kettle of fish but there was also significant indignation from Essendon fans and the media in Melbourne at the booing of James Hird in round 1 whenever his noggin appeared on stadium big screens.

It was definitely sheep/lemming behaviour as it got louder and longer as the game went on and Goodes influence on the game became apparent. It actually seemed to lift him so I hope the North fans give him a hard time too in three weeks (which I suspect they will).

As a social experiment, every Swans fan at that game should challenge those around them that are booing. Simply ask "Why are you booing Goodesy?". I will be doing so.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its mob racism, pure and simple. Racism-lite if you want to be specific.
    I've already written about this on another thread. Its all about communication and implications derived from that communication.

It matters little what the reason for the booing is. In light of Goodes' profile in recent times, as Australian of the Year and being subject to several infamous racist incidents, the implication of such a form of communication is that it represents a racist slur.

As I wrote already, when at the ground I complained about the booing, the Hawthorn fans behind me simply mocked me with laughter. They were mainly young male adults. Ha ha great joke.

I did not have an issue about the booing of Buddy. He left the Hawks, and he has not been associated with political issues involving his race. And yes, I know the Hawks fans LOVE Cyril. But does not release those who boo Goodes from being guilty of at least gending a racist implication via their booing.

I have now developed a lack of respect for and deep dislike for the Hawthorn Football Club. That is sad considering the great rivalry that has occurred between our clubs in recent times. I know that Jeff Kennett, (being an old style small "l' liberal) would be ashamed about the booing, as would many other well known Hawthorn identities. It is disappointing that no one from that club has said anything publically to condemn the very poor conduct.

Regular in the Side
    Who gives a poop magic.merkin? For the record I do.

Regular in the Side
    Did anyone else hear P Smith with KB this morning when he was speaking about Newbolt. Something like tonto Newbolt the deputy to The Lone Ranger Edie, he Newbolt needs to ask Eddie every time he speaks.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I may be wrong as my hearing isn't what it should be these days but I don't recall Goodesy being booed at the MCG a couple of weeks ago against Melbourne.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Did anyone else hear P Smith with KB this morning when he was speaking about Newbolt. Something like tonto Newbolt the deputy to The Lone Ranger Edie, he Newbolt needs to ask Eddie every time he speaks.
    Yes I heard that and giggled!

You can count on North booing Goodes when we play them. They were the first team that started it all those years ago. If I recall correctly it was when Goodes got off a couple of reports and Leigh Matthews said he was a protected species.

I don't mind players being booed if there has been an incident in the game or when a player has gone to another team like Buddy. But booing just for the sake of booing is not on.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    ...It is disappointing that no one from that club has said anything publically to condemn the very poor conduct.
    It's also disappointing that other Indigenous players have remained broadly silent themselves. Particularly the Hawks' role model himself, Rioli. It wouldn't take that big a stand from all of the Hawks Indigenous players to put a stop to it all.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    It's also disappointing that other Indigenous players have remained broadly silent themselves. Particularly the Hawks' role model himself, Rioli. It wouldn't take that big a stand from all of the Hawks Indigenous players to put a stop to it all.
    Very good point Danzar. Considering the indigenous players appear to have a close bond and can be relied upon to seek each other out for an onfield chat after every game, as a group they've been very silent on this issue for too long.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I share the disappointment, but I suspect it's part of the difference between bargainers and challengers (the Jake Niall article). Goodesy hoes a hard row.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Who gives a poop magic.merkin? For the record I do.
    Why what does it matter and what does it change? He has been booed since the early 2000's.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Why what does it matter and what does it change? He has been booed since the early 2000's.
    I'm struggling to appreciate your point. It matters because it suggests racism. Whether that is real or perceived, that form of communication can't be a situation where one just shrugs one shoulders and casually thinks: "who cares,"

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast