Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Veterans List
    Maybe I'm naive but would love to see players from other clubs making a statement about it - swapping jumpers with Goodes a la Judd on the weekend, making a point of congratulating after the game, actually going out of their way to acknowledge this is a champ who doesn't deserve this sort of treatment. But as I say, maybe I'm being naive - pretty certain things won't change till players from other clubs say this isn't on though.

Caroline Wilson was outraged about Goodes' treatment by Hawthorn supporters on Footy Classified tonight. Well done Caro!

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Caroline Wilson was outraged about Goodes' treatment by Hawthorn supporters on Footy Classified tonight. Well done Caro!
    It was excellent by Caro. Even challenged Clarkson, who commented on the toxic atmosphere at Carlton, to come out and fix this particular toxic behaviour of the Hawthorn supporters.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    It was excellent by Caro. Even challenged Clarkson, who commented on the toxic atmosphere at Carlton, to come out and fix this particular toxic behaviour of the Hawthorn supporters.
    Wow! That's great. All credit to Caro.

Clarkson is as thuggish as his own players and won't do a thing about it.

What's all the commotion about?

It was the MCG, and it was full of bogan Victorians ... don't over think it folks!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    What's all the commotion about?

It was the MCG, and it was full of bogan Victorians ... don't over think it folks!
    Yeah right on mate. In the event of being confronted by an ugly side of perceived racism in an extremely public event, just "get over it" and blame it on the lower classes and those who lack higher education. It that what should have been the approach to Nicky Winmear back in the early 90's, or Michael Long when he was racially touted by a Collingwood player a few years later?

Sorry, I simply can't agree with that position. It wasn't just a case of analysing the booing akin to a university thesis. It was a gut FEELING of nasty hatred coming from fellow Australians that went way beyond a sporting context and into the realm of racism.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    I'll bet Garry Lyon and Hutchy didn't back her up though. Eddie's mates don't like Goodesy.

Booing Adam from a crowded space, knowing you probably won't be apprehended in any way is so gutless and soft .
    They are the types who would Boo their own players when they don't produce .

I find the connotation that the booing of Adam Goodes is racially motivated, to be inappropriate and offensive. Through a prior arrangement, I had to sit in the Hawthorn members area on Saturday night and the few friends and family who booed Adam did not do so because he is indigenous. They did it for a variety of reasons, which I did not entirely disagree with. Including, making a 13 year old immature and unwise school girl the public face of racism, his prior use of knees when sliding into contests, his perceived protection from the tribunal, knocking into opposition players when facing the other way and strangely enough opposition supporters find his left and right hand high 5's a bit cringeworthy. I don't agree booing Adam for these reasons to be sufficient and made that clear to those sitting around me, but I don't believe it was racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I find the connotation that the booing of Adam Goodes is racially motivated, to be inappropriate and offensive. Through a prior arrangement, I had to sit in the Hawthorn members area on Saturday night and the few friends and family who booed Adam did not do so because he is indigenous. They did it for a variety of reasons, which I did not entirely disagree with. Including, making a 13 year old immature and unwise school girl the public face of racism, his prior use of knees when sliding into contests, his perceived protection from the tribunal, knocking into opposition players when facing the other way and strangely enough opposition supporters find his left and right hand high 5's a bit cringeworthy. I don't agree booing Adam for these reasons to be sufficient and made that clear to those sitting around me, but I don't believe it was racism.
    You may find it inappropriate and offensive, but your own words reveal that at least some of those people are doing it because he stood up and called out someone on their racist behaviour.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Senior Player
    Agreed. Add to that the common one i hear and see for myself is his staging. Champion bloke, player and Australian regardless. But like all of us... human.

The way people jump on board the racist bandwagon irks me, a cop out to easily discount others actions. Sure there is some truth in it, but it's not the entire reason he is disliked and in alot of cases probably not a factor. Some on here are just all aboard that line of thinking to hastily for mine.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast