Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Muffler, I take your comments on board and agree with you, to a degree. One question, in response to my post, you make the comment - "it's a good way to disguise your racist thinking". I assume you mean - their racist thinking.

These people booing are well aware that it is widely interpreted, especially with media personalities, as being racially motivated. If it were not racially motivated, you would think these people would take extra care NOT to boo Goodes. They are well aware of how it looks and they are happy to get their message across. They can't use racial epithets any longer so they just boo the highest profile indigenous rights advocate in the AFL. Easy and cowardly behaviour.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I find the connotation that the booing of Adam Goodes is racially motivated, to be inappropriate and offensive. Through a prior arrangement, I had to sit in the Hawthorn members area on Saturday night and the few friends and family who booed Adam did not do so because he is indigenous. They did it for a variety of reasons, which I did not entirely disagree with. Including, making a 13 year old immature and unwise school girl the public face of racism, his prior use of knees when sliding into contests, his perceived protection from the tribunal, knocking into opposition players when facing the other way and strangely enough opposition supporters find his left and right hand high 5's a bit cringeworthy. I don't agree booing Adam for these reasons to be sufficient and made that clear to those sitting around me, but I don't believe it was racism.
    There is a famous line from the 1967 movie 'Cool Hand Luke':

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Whatever the reason why those Hawthorn supporters choice to boo Adam Goodes, the message that comes from that form of communication to many people is that it is a racist slur. It may not impact on you, you may perceive its related to Goodes staging a some minor free kick in Round 21 Season 2002 or whatever. But the MESSAGE this form of communication sends to me and many other people is that it is highly offensive and related to politics and race. There was no such booing prior to 2013 when the Collingwood incident occurred.

Personally I hate booing generally, least of all to champions of the game, and in this case a great Australian. That said, I distinguish it from the booing of Buddy, who left the club and who has never been associated with politics and racial issues in the community.

If the message is being sent to the community that the might be a racial aspect to it, it puts those who do it, and broadly the Hawthorn Football club in a very bad light.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Muffler, I take your comments on board and agree with you, to a degree. One question, in response to my post, you make the comment - "it's a good way to disguise your racist thinking". I assume you mean - their racist thinking.
    Thats exactly what I meant. Apologies if you took it the other way. Your..., as in the one who is doing the booing.

Ah the English language, aisle get it write won day.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    There is a famous line from the 1967 movie 'Cool Hand Luke':

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Whatever the reason why those Hawthorn supporters choice to boo Adam Goodes, the message that comes from that form of communication to many people is that it is a racist slur. It may not impact on you, you may perceive its related to Goodes staging a some minor free kick in Round 21 Season 2002 or whatever. But the MESSAGE this form of communication sends to me and many other people is that it is highly offensive and related to politics and race. There was no such booing prior to 2013 when the Collingwood incident occurred.

Personally I hate booing generally, least of all to champions of the game, and in this case a great Australian. That said, I distinguish it from the booing of Buddy, who left the club and who has never been associated with politics and racial issues in the community.

If the message is being sent to the community that the might be a racial aspect to it, it puts those who do it, and broadly the Hawthorn Football club in a very bad light.
    Totally incorrect, he has been booed at near every game i have seen him play in Melbourne. This has been from large sections of the crowd multiple times a year for 10+ years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    It's definitely racism.
    So Ballantyne gets booed because he is white? I'm glad we've cleared that up.

I boo every opposition player who doesn't play within the spirit of the game.. Goodesy at just about every contest throws his arms in the air and makes a pleading look at the umpire. He did it again on Saturday night which endeared him even more to the Hawthorn faithful.
    C'mon Chels!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    He might have been booed on the odd occasion in the past but nowhere near the magnitude he has since that incident in 2013. I find it hard to believe how people fail to see the underlying racial currents involved.

Senior Player
    it's like people have different opinions?!

I don't think anyone has said it's not partly racial. I think some of us are arguing it's not entirely racial.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Totally incorrect, he has been booed at near every game i have seen him play in Melbourne. This has been from large sections of the crowd multiple times a year for 10+ years.
    We have already had people on this thread comment on the lacking of booing that arose for the Demons game earlier this month.

The reality is that Adam Goodes' national wide status, (that goes well beyond AFL), as well as the political and racial issues recently surrounding him, make it appear to many in the community including me as being possibly racist. These issues don't surround Buddy Franklin, Hayden Ballantyne, Barry Hall or whoever. They did not surround the English cricketer Stuart Broad a few summers ago when he got booed. It was clearly barter and not perceived by many to be connected with any serious issues such as racism.

Many people are offended by the booing of Adam Goodes for the reasons above.

Can't those who chose to boo have the empathy to understand that. Or are they just too arrogant and lacking empathy to appreciate the offence they are causing some people. What would it harm them to simply show a bit of respect. Because if they are not racist, (and they probably are not), they have nevertheless insensitive and lousy lousy communicators where there is no apparent barter going on, only discord and in some cases anger.
    Last edited by top40; 26th May 2015 at 04:23 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    We have already had people on this thread comment on the lacking of booing that arose for the Demons game earlier this month.

The reality is that Adam Goodes' national wide status, (that goes well beyond AFL), as well as the political and racial issues recently surrounding him, make it appear to many in the community including me as being possibly racist. These issues don't surround Buddy Franklin, Hayden Ballantyne, Barry Hall or whoever. They did not surround the English cricketer Stuart Broad a few summers ago when he got booed. It was clearly barter and not perceived by many to be connected with any serious issues such as racism.

Many people are offended by the booing of Adam Goodes for the reasons above.

Can't those who chose to boo have the empathy to understand that. Or are they just too arrogant and lacking empathy to appreciate the offence they are causing some people. What would it harm them to simply show a bit of respect. Because if they are not racist, (and they probably are not), they have nevertheless insensitive and lousy lousy communicators where there is no apparent barter going on, only discord and in some cases anger.
    For starters we outnumbered the Dee's supporters almost and they have always been a quiet bunch in general and the last 10 years well.... They got Jesse Hogan!

In regards to your last paragraph, they are hawthorn supporters, what do you expect? I was on an aisle and had several look for a fight as they exited. It was going on everywhere. Egomaniacs. They just know old mate Gibbo was Karate Kicked a year or so back and Goodes is now Public enemy #1. Sprinkle some casual racism, back to back flags and booze and we have last saturday nights experience.

Also hot tip, they don't think last year's GF was the past, but 2012 was, so don't come back with that. Also saturday nights loss was the umps fault, and def not hodges (for being absent for a bigger dog act than Goodes has ever done) or skill errors on their own behalf etc. Definitely not influenced by our players either.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I'll bet Garry Lyon and Hutchy didn't back her up though. Eddie's mates don't like Goodesy.
    Both Garry and Hutchy backed Caroline. On the Sunday Footy show Hutchy was very vocal on his disgust at the booing.

As others have mentioned the booing has become worse since the Collingwood game incident. There were a number that said that Goodes was soft for being offended by the word and that he needed to harden up. Then came being awarded AOTY and his comments on racism. Unfortunately people don't think there is a racism issue in Australia and don't like being told otherwise.

I can only imagine the comments being added to the recent articles that have been written.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Both Garry and Hutchy backed Caroline. On the Sunday Footy show Hutchy was very vocal on his disgust at the booing.

As others have mentioned the booing has become worse since the Collingwood game incident. There were a number that said that Goodes was soft for being offended by the word and that he needed to harden up. Then came being awarded AOTY and his comments on racism. Unfortunately people don't think there is a racism issue in Australia and don't like being told otherwise.

I can only imagine the comments being added to the recent articles that have been written.
    i implore you don't look at social media comments. Turn back!

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast