Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

[QUOTE=AnnieH;672083]
    The only time that booing is acceptable is when it is directed at an opposition player trying to kick a goal.

Totally agree Annie. That is funny booing and not directed at any one person for individual reasons.

Goes up to 11
    I hope we all cheer loudly every time Goodsey gets the ball Friday. It's a great opportunity for us fans to show our support and to make a statement to Hawks fans and others that their behaviour is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I hope we all cheer loudly every time Goodsey gets the ball Friday. It's a great opportunity for us fans to show our support and to make a statement to Hawks fans and others that their behaviour is not acceptable.
    I think that is an excellent idea. Every touch. A loud cheer. At the very least it will let Goodesy know that the Swans fans are right behind him and it will get the commentators talking about it

Another good idea that my partner raised is that at the North game in a few weeks, if the crowd boos (and I suspect they will), we (all Swans fans) should retort with a loud "Baa-aaa" (sheep) sound because that is what they are all really doing just following the mob.

I saw that Jordan Lewis of the Hawks has come out and said the booing has to stop. Well...you could have knocked me down with a feather...the player I find most disagreeable in the whole competition......he has now risen in my estimations. Go figure.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Senior Player
    I personally believe that this trend has an underlying racial premise and to believe otherwise would be either disingenuous or delusional. It�s a crock of @@@@ to maintain that this is all about Goodesy feigning for free kicks. Sure he�s been guilty of it in the past but if this were the case the vitriol directed at Joel Selwood would be deafening. Allegedly he gets preferential treatment from the MRP. If this were true it doesn�t follow that this is something he could even control. Send the MRP an email if you are that concerned that their decisions are inconsistent. And why is being a racist punk acceptable when you are 13? My son would be in his room for a week if he behaved in that manner, and he�s only 10. Though I know that he would never do that because he respects other people. And don�t I love this �toughen up, stop being so precious� mantra. After all who doesn�t have a problem with having 10,000+ people boo them when they turn up to work? Were you aware that he is considered overrated? Name me one club that wouldn�t jump at having him on their list? And really they just boo him because he is a champion. I would have thought that his best was behind him. Why is there not the same treatment dished out to Hannebery, Parker, JPK, Jack etc if its champions that we find so distasteful?

Now that I�ve expunged the negative side of the story from my system, I thought it was uplifting to read the emerging trend of constructive ideas that is appearing in this thread. I love the idea of drowning out the opposition toe-rags whenever Goodesy touches the ball with cries of �Yes!� or �Goodesy!� with as much vehemence as one using for a holding the ball �Ball!� cry. Standing up to opposition fans who bring their shoulders full of chips along and their kitbag of �rights�, summoning security where appropriate. This could be (and probably will be) Goodesy�s final year. It would be such a sad thing to see a true champion go out on a sour note thanks to these Hawthorn f wits and their like-minded allies such as Mcguire.

I too was heartened by Jordan Lewis� take on things last night (as I was with Robbo maintaining that it is unacceptable. I also thought you were a bit of a duffer Robbo, but you have a good heart). Jordan Lewis (who I have never admired) condemned the practice which would suggest that he leaves his competitive spirit out on the field. I�d like more than this though. I�d like to see Hodge take a stand being the captain, and also the Aboriginal boys from opposition clubs taking a stand, as well as other clubs generally. I�d like McVeigh/Jack and Hodge to come to an agreement about the Homebush game in July and any future fixtures between the two clubs that if the booing persists, the captains convene and march the players off the ground. Make this announcement prior to the game and follow through if it occurs. Ideally I�d like to see Hawthorn booted out of the league.

I�d like to see a cheer squad banner at the Homebush game in July that states something along the lines of �Do we boo Burgoyne, Rioli and Hill? No. We Have Class.�

Adam Goodes is one of the greatest players to ever have played the game. He deserves so much better than what is what is happening currently. We need a campaign to right this ship.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    If it was really about him staging frees and being a "dirty player" why is it only in Victoria he gets a hot reception? I don't recall him getting a hot reception in Adelaide or Perth? I think it's got more to do with fans of Victorian clubs still living in the 1940's where this racist bollocks was acceptable.

"Gooooooooooooooooods" whenever he gets the ball would be awesome!

I'm sure a fair percentage of those booing were doing so just to be a part of the crowd - going with the flow, and possibly didn't know why they were booking.
    If a player was booed at a game I was at and I didn't know why, I would assume he had either done something untoward or scammed a free kick or something.
    So I guess it speaks volumes about when and where to boo a player, if at all.
    Only time I see as being obvious is when a player is having a shot at goal, as Annie said.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by King Roosy View Post
    If it was really about him staging frees and being a "dirty player" why is it only in Victoria he gets a hot reception? I don't recall him getting a hot reception in Adelaide or Perth? I think it's got more to do with fans of Victorian clubs still living in the 1940's where this racist bollocks was acceptable.
    Yes, sadly it seems to be happening in Melbourne as you say, but also Hawthorn seems to have a track record. In recent years there have been incidents of this nature featuring Hawthorn fans vilifying Majak Daw, Lindsay Thomas, Heretier Lumumba and Daniel Wells. There was even an episode where a Hawthorn fan vilified Buddy (then a Hawk). I remember Derek Kickett being abused by Hawk fans at the SCG in the early 90s. I can recall going as far back to the 70s and witnessing some of the most vile behaviour by Hawk fans directed at Vin Cattogio when he was with Carlton. (I suspect the progeny of these guys were at the MCG on Saturday night). Seems Hawthorn needs to clean up its act.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

I think it's probably racist, but not so much an overt racism. They're clearly not booing him because they hate Aborigines. But they do hate THAT Aborigine.

If Goodes played for another side, he'd irritate me for his speechmaking and to a lesser extent for his staging. I think that, especially since Leigh Matthews called Goodes a "protected species", people feel they have a license to boo a blackfella. In an environment where so much of what is said gets interpreted as racist, sexist, homophobic or whatever, this license provides an outlet for otherwise suppressed opinions. Subconsciously people are thinking, "Well he gives me the @@@@s and what's more, he's a blackfella I'm allowed to boo, so I'm giving it my all."

It doesn't make it right, but a learning from it could be that the AFL realise that people might be getting a bit tired of being lectured to when they're at the footy. Women's round, indigenous round, whatever they're calling the gay round. All worthy causes, but I'm just paying my money to watch my team hopefully win and to let off some steam for a couple of hours. Do I really need to be educated on the latest social issue in my rare time off?

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Booing of Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes disappointing, says Indigenous icon Michael Long

Michael Long says he is disappointed Adam Goodes was jeered during Sydney's win over Hawthorn on Saturday night and believes people should show respect for the Swans veteran as a "great Australian".

Yes Puppy, I wouldna thought football was a great place for social causes. A game is the survival and domination of the best over the weakest. A place where we love and cheer our heroes, and the flip side is villains and rivals. Thats not how I would expect how our society should function. Sponsors, flashing signage, contrived meanings, causes and media training diminish each individual game and player.

That said players need to be respected. At the port game some people around me laughed when Franklin had his head rammed into the fence. A bit of initial booing of Goodes or whoever aint so bad if it doesn't get boorish and go on all match. Which it does.

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast