Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Unfortunately the is a certain amount of mob mentality in the crowd, mixed with alcohol.
    Also a fairly high percentage of 'bogan' footy fans, for lack of a better word.
    Even on the Swans feed on Facebook, it is clear that there has been a high proportion of fans who are missing a chunk of education, based on spelling and grammar alone (and you thought it was bad at RWO at times)
    Don't think that there isn't an undercurrent of racism out there - Pauline Hanson got where she did due to what some would consider racist points of view.
    I remember going to Victoria Park and standing behind the goals wearing a Swans scarf and I thought that was a pretty daring thing to do at the time given the looks, comments and scowls I got. Even though I could see 4 or 5 police withing 10 meters of me at any given time.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

How would a change.org petition to the AFL, requesting a Hawthorn lockout for their next home game? Sure the AFL wouldn't wouldn't seriously consider it, but it would bring shame on Hawthorn when it got reported.

It's racism pure and simple. Not because he's indigenous, but because he's spoken out against institutionalised racism. I agree that the booing of Franklin is "panto booing" because he's an ex-Hawk, and Jetta never cops it. Why? Because neither of them have called bigots for what they are and refused to back down. No disrespect to Jetta or Franklin intended at all, but it's the difference between the one who fits in and accepts it for what it is, and the one who dares to call it for what it is, and challenges people to look at their own world view, and people don't like that very much.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    +1 Doctor. Has absolutely nothing to do with playing for free kicks or because he was once a superstar of the competition. The vitriol directed towards him is unparalleled both at the games and on social media/online forums. It has increased about 500% since that incident at the MCG and him subsequently being named AOTY.

It's been highlighted by the media who have almost universally called it racist. It would have been appropriate for the AFL to make a statement today about it considering the upcoming Indigenous Round. But we know who controls the AFL executive.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's been highlighted by the media who have almost universally called it racist. It would have been appropriate for the AFL to make a statement today about it considering the upcoming Indigenous Round. But we know who controls the AFL executive.
    It's only been highlighted and labelled racist by a select few in the media...definitely not the Mark Robinson's of the world that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Will be interesting if anyone asks Goodes or Michael Long about it at the Indigenous Round launch tomorrow.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    +1 Doctor. Has absolutely nothing to do with playing for free kicks or because he was once a superstar of the competition. The vitriol directed towards him is unparalleled both at the games and on social media/online forums. It has increased about 500% since that incident at the MCG and him subsequently being named AOTY.
    Agreed!! Hawthorn supporters say its because he stages for free kicks. Maybe true a couple of years ago. But if that was the case, why is Selwood never booed? There is stats that shows he has received over 100 more free kicks for head high contact then anyone else in the league.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I may be wrong as my hearing isn't what it should be these days but I don't recall Goodesy being booed at the MCG a couple of weeks ago against Melbourne.
    No they saved that for Jack Watts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    And they treat Cyril like a god, so it is not racism.

undy is correct.

But it is tiresome.
    Racism can be selective. As in racist slurs can be cast at people, by bigots, while in the presence of their "friends" who are of the same ethnicity of the subject of the abuse. Saw it a lot at school.
    & the abuse need not necessarily be specifically racial in nature, sometimes the overall tone or sentiment can convey racial vilification.

Goes up to 11
    Robbo was very strident on AFL360 just now - said its the ugliest thing in footy right now and it must be stopped.

He meant it too, and good on him for saying it.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's racism pure and simple. Not because he's indigenous, but because he's spoken out against institutionalised racism. I agree that the booing of Franklin is "panto booing" because he's an ex-Hawk, and Jetta never cops it. Why? Because neither of them have called bigots for what they are and refused to back down. No disrespect to Jetta or Franklin intended at all, but it's the difference between the one who fits in and accepts it for what it is, and the one who dares to call it for what it is, and challenges people to look at their own world view, and people don't like that very much.
    +1 also.

Have just been listening to SEN radio in Melbourne and host Mark Fine thinks similarly to you, Doctor. He thought that the trouble began when Goodes became an "outspoken advocate of indigenous rights" while he was Australian of the Year, stating that a lot of people don't like some things Goodesy said and did.

I've heard and read a fair bit about the issue in Melbourne media in the last 2 days and feel that the vast majority of commentators are right behind Goodesy, believing that his treatment is inherently racist.

Again, I would like to say that I was at our game at the MCG against Melbourne and was not aware then of any negative treatment of Goodesy by Melbourne fans. I feel it needs to be highlighted that it has been after a match against Hawthorn that this big problem has arisen again.

It's a good point, and highlights that it is indeed racism from the Hawks "fans". I was going to mention that Melbourne supporters seemed not to feel the need to react the same way in my earlier post but forgot to include it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast