Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fox Footy's Round Table - Tuesday 8.30 p.m

Veterans List
    I missed the discussion on the academies but caught the end when Eddie was asked if he was in charge of the swans would he have done anything to get Buddy. He said he would want Buddy and COLA and the academies. He said that we didn't break any rules getting Buddy but that we used the rules to our advantage. To me that makes it sound like we were underhanded. And isn't that the same comments that his puppet Gordon said about us last year??

I liked how Eddie thought the big challenge of the AFL was for Essendon and Carlton to become power houses again and that Victoria was important for the tv rights, whereas Kochie was adamant that the success of NSW and Qld was more important. It was an unbiased view compared to Eddie's Victorian centric world.

Goes up to 11
    Eddie came out of it very poorly compared to the others. Of the four, he came a distant fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I missed the discussion on the academies but caught the end when Eddie was asked if he was in charge of the swans would he have done anything to get Buddy. He said he would want Buddy and COLA and the academies. He said that we didn't break any rules getting Buddy but that we used the rules to our advantage. To me that makes it sound like we were underhanded. And isn't that the same comments that his puppet Gordon said about us last year??

I liked how Eddie thought the big challenge of the AFL was for Essendon and Carlton to become power houses again and that Victoria was important for the tv rights, whereas Kochie was adamant that the success of NSW and Qld was more important. It was an unbiased view compared to Eddie's Victorian centric world.
    The Buddy thing was the main moment where I thought Eddie was prepared to drop his bombast and say "yeah I'd have done it too". It came across as grudging admiration actually.

The friction between McGuire and Koch was far greater than it was between any of the others.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    maybe i'll catch it on youtube one day

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Gerard's well spoken but he's essentially as soft as butter. He's only critical when it's popular opinion or something he won't be pulled up on.

The floor will be Eddie's. I'm not sure I can be bothered with it.
    I have to disagree with you, Whateley has typically been quite unwavering and stands up to Robbo and guests on AFL360 quite frequently. He did turn on the Swans after the Buddy deal though IIRC

As much as I dislike McGuire, his football politics, his opinions and his attitude, I thought he was the best performed spokesperson for his club.His acumen and performance skills held him in good stead and while I could not agree with a single thing he said, he said it convincingly and unfortunately had the loudest voice.
    Koch was eloquent and considered and understood the whole picture but he was too pleasant and he was only strong on a couple of issues and even then allowed himself to be talked over.
    Gordon, for me was the most impressive. He spoke with clarity and reserve but there was an intelligence in his arguments that reflected a deep understanding of their consequences. This was especially true when speaking about drugs and money.
    Pridham appeared slightly overwhelmed by the whole process. It appeared he had a lot more to say on many issues but felt too polite to interrupt or talk out of turn.
    Whately was reasonable and the topics were vanilla enough to avoid real conflict.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Gordon is a very, very intelligent man

On the veteran's list
    Thought Pridham was great. wouldn't allow McGuire to run the "Collingwood saved the Swans" line
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    As much as I dislike McGuire, his football politics, his opinions and his attitude, I thought he was the best performed spokesperson for his club.His acumen and performance skills held him in good stead and while I could not agree with a single thing he said, he said it convincingly and unfortunately had the loudest voice.
    I couldn't disagree more. It's funny how different people can see different things (apart from the loudest voice bit anyway).

Veteran Site Admin
    I found it a little polite for my liking. Maybe polite isn't the right word, because I wasn't looking for them to get abusive. But in the time available, and with so many topics to cover, a lot of the discussion was fairly superficial. Whately did a reasonable job in keeping things under control, though Eddie was allowed to blather on for longer than I would have liked, and then somewhat permitted to speak over the others when they were trying to respond.

In particular, I thought Ed was let off the hook a little when the topic of fixturing / travelling came up. Koch and Gordon I thought almost had him in a pincer, but then Pridham deflected the discussion to the academies. That was a topic that was always going to come up, and maybe there was an element of choreography in him raising it when he did, but it prevented Ed having to listen to / respond to arguments pointing out the biggest weakness in his argument that there is already sufficient equalisation.

While Collingwood, Carlton et al are allowed to hog the majority of the highest profile scheduling spots at the expense of, especially, the smaller Melbourne clubs, they can't hope to compete on a level playing field. It's not just about gate takings, there's an obvious flow on effect to sponsorship value and supporter base. Ed was blathering on about how Collingwood pays a $1m gate levy a year. Whoopie do dah! I bet the value of the perennial rights to the Anzac Day fixture is worth several times that, let alone their higher than fair share of Friday night games. Maybe the AFL can engage whoever came up with the draft place points system to be used in academy bidding to assign relative values to the various times spots and stand-alone blockbusters, and introduce a levy based on the relative value of each club's draw each year.

My respect for Gordon went up tremendously. I've probably not heard him speak at length before, just read quoted sound grabs. I've never been overly impressed with those. But hearing him speak eloquently and with passion about what he sees as important for the game, and why, was highly enjoyable. And I loved the way Kochie raised the issue of the GF always being played at the MCG, not just a throwaway comment but in all seriousness. While I don't think this is the biggest issue with fixturing by a long way, it does illustrate just how asymmetrical the big Victorian clubs' views are when it comes to exactly what a level playing field entails.

I think the grand final at the MCG is the biggest inequality in the AFL.

I think they should consider a 2 game grand final series. 1st at home ground of non vic participant, second and decider at the MCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    This is one of the main things I took away from it too. When Kochie and Pridham were stressing the need to increase the overall revenue pie, Eddie would keep returning to his own slice of the revenue. He only cares about the best interests/future of the game when it doesn't affect Collingwood. He was going on about Melbourne Victory's membership numbers for a bit, but he didn't see the overall picture. There are only two Victorian based Soccer teams, and I bet you'd find that Melbourne Victory members are also AFL club members. Soccer has long overtaken AFL in popularity in QLD and NSW; the kids would much rather play Soccer or Rugby before AFL. Without the Academies, AFL won't be getting the first choice talent from the North-East.
    Sounds like I might need to re-evaluate my view on Kochie. If his view is that COLA was no longer appropriate but that the Academy systems needed full support under the agreed model then I applaud a balanced view.

I cannot bring myself to watch anything on the Telly when that cretin is on so I passed but it sounds like he sounded like a bit of a knob and the rest of the panellists seemed OK.

His level of self interest knows no bounds at all. Incredibly short sighted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast