Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Time on"?

Regular in the Side

"Time on"?

Dwaye Russelll is a pain at the best of times...but am I correct in saying that one of his regular sayings "we are entering time on" means nothing these days ... the concept of time added on is old hat ... the only reference these days should be to time on the clock i.e. left to play ... we only have unexpired time because the clock stops ... the old 25 minute plus time on is dead and buried ... or am I wrong?

Somewhere the 25 minutes became 20. Another treasured old saying '100 minutes of football' is redundant

Blog Entries
    It's not just him, lots of people say it.

i noticed at the end of one of the quarters, the signage around the ground lit up saying "time on"

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    It's not just him, lots of people say it.

i noticed at the end of one of the quarters, the signage around the ground lit up saying "time on"
    My question is ... Is it not a meaningless term / concept these days?... we do not have a 20 minute quarter and then someone adds on all the stoppages ... the 20 minute quarter is not over till its over! Simple ... but too hard for some commentators and sign operators by the sound of it ... set me right if I'm wrong.

Blog Entries
    Not really Gary.
    A 20 minute quarter still takes about 30 minutes to play.
    So "time on" is the time after the 20 minutes elapsed time.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Not really Gary.
    A 20 minute quarter still takes about 30 minutes to play.
    So "time on" is the time after the 20 minutes elapsed time.
    Noted but not yet convinced ... the actual elapsing of 20 minutes is purely nominal ... it does not denote anything when everyone knows that the clock actually stops along the way ... the 20 minutes of playing time has not been played till the bell rings. Nothing is "added on" ... it simply hasn't yet been played. I say again "time on" is a nonsense. The number of overall minutes played is just a stat telling us how many stoppages occurred. They have not "played " an extra second. But I'll shut up and just let it be!

Blog Entries
    I guess it is a bit like injury time in soccer. They still play the exact amount of time.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Time on - is the time added when the ball is not in play.

After a goal, play recommences when the umpire throws it up or bounces it. The clock shouldn't continue running during this time.

Therefore a quarter is twenty minutes of play plus the added time for stoppages.
    sprite

Regular in the Side
    Still don't buy that ... we simply do not have a time process like soccer ... they play 45 / 90 and mostly come up with a modest "add on" for stoppages ... but the stoppages are far less clear cut in terms of time because there is not necessarily a whistle input ... not sure who adjudicates on the extra time ... but do not see it as analogous to our clock game ... we in fact calculate and know the stoppage time along the way via the clock we see on our TV screens ... no uncertainty ... a clear stop / start by the whistle ... progressively ... it is all about the 20 / 80 minutes of actual playing time and there is no argument ... the bell rings that's it. You may not like American Football but our timing process is more akin to that ... no such thing as "added time" or "time on" the game finishes when the 15 / 60 minutes of playing time expires. Seems to me exactly as ours does (even if very different games). I've made my case ... happy to let it rest and let the madness of "entering time on" continue if it must!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Time on - is the time added when the ball is not in play.

After a goal, play recommences when the umpire throws it up or bounces it. The clock shouldn't continue running during this time.

Therefore a quarter is twenty minutes of play plus the added time for stoppages.
    No ... that's "time off!".

It is meaningless in terms of determining the length of the game, but it's still a helpful concept as the difference between the running clock and the game clock.

It's kind of irrelevant on TV when you have access to the game clock, but when you are at the ground and have access only to the running clock, after 20 minutes, you know that the amount of time left is determined (largely) by the amount of "time off" that has already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It's kind of irrelevant on TV when you have access to the game clock, but when you are at the ground and have access only to the running clock, after 20 minutes, you know that the amount of time left is determined (largely) by the amount of "time off" that has already happened.
    And wow, that sure can add to the tension at a game.
    I was at the 2012 GF at the MCG and only had the running clock to watch. There was a longish stoppage in the last quarter when some idiot ran on to the ground and security had to catch him and get him off. So we had no idea how long the last quarter would go. With the Swans leading Hawthorn and the clock up to at least 30 minutes, the woman beside me was almost in tears begging 'someone' to blow the siren!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    These are the rules from the AFL website:

When I was officiating the term used for the stoppages was time on, so it may all be down to semantics.

10. TIMEKEEPERS, DURATION OF MATCHES, QUARTERS AND INTERVALS

10.1 DURATION OF MATCH AND INTERVALS
    10.1.1 Duration
    Subject to Law 10.1.3, a Match shall be played for a period of 80 minutes, divided into 4 quarters, each of 20 minutes duration. The 20-minute duration for each quarter shall be actual playing time and shall not include stoppages in play.

10.5 STOPPING AND RECOMMENCING TIME
    10.5.1 Stopping Time
    The Timekeepers shall stop the clock which is used for the timing of a Match when:
    (a) directed to do so by a field Umpire in accordance with Law 10.5.3;
    (b) the goal Umpire signals that a Goal has been scored;
    (c) the goal Umpire signals that a Behind has been scored; or
    (d) the boundary Umpire signals that the football is Out of Bounds or Out of Bounds on the Full; or
    (e) the field Umpire crosses their arms to indicate they are going to bounce or throw the football up.

10.5.2 Recommencing Time
    The Timekeepers shall recommence the clock used for the timing of a Match when:
    (a) directed to do so by the field Umpire in accordance with Law 10.5.3;
    (b) the football is bounced or thrown up by the field Umpire;
    (c) the football is brought back into play after a Behind has been scored;
    (d) the football is thrown back into play by the boundary Umpire or brought back into play by a Player (as the case may be), after it has gone Out of Bounds or Out of Bounds on the Full;
    (e) the football is obviously in play; or
    (f) the Umpire calls �play on�.

10.5.3 Signalling
    A field Umpire shall signal to the Timekeeper to stop the clock or re-start the clock used for the timing of the Match by blowing a whistle and raising one arm above their head.
    sprite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast