Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 11: North Melbourne v Sydney Swans

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I think we should be reasonably pleased with the position we're in.

> 9-2
    > Best start to a season in nearly 3 decades.
    > Played all of last years top 4 away from home
    > Plenty of depth, 3 or 4 guys that could easily step up from the 2's, plus Heeney & Benny to come back.
    > Reasonably healthy list, touch wood.
    > 2 games clear of Hawthorn.
    > Haven't been too reliant on Bud.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    I know that i bag RAMPE but i think he brings something. Just stop kicking across goal and dont kick to the other teams ruckman. Simple strategies and dont start thinking. SHAW is just not giving enough and cant win flag with him and PYKE. 16 to 2 in centre clearances. You win 2 out 10 in finals with that.

I don't think he's going anywhere soon. His clangers notwithstanding, the club is obviously digging his work. To be fair, he does a lot right apart from his shockers. Would be nice to see him think again before taking some of his more risky options. YB

Rampe had some clangers, he's too predictable and tonight it seemed like he would either kick it long, a dangerous short kick straight towards the opposition. Some of his defensive work was good and he wont get dropped.

Shaw is the most frustrating player to watch. Far too many turnovers and he can't jump.

Laidler was brilliant. Effort, commitment and those marks in the 4th...

Decision making was really good in the first half, not so much in the 2nd.

Pyke must be up there with the most frees against this season.

Thankfully it's the bye week for the Swans, am a little concerned about Reg and Hanners. Although surprisingly (yes he's tough) Hanners ran out the game so maybe he's OK.
    Using Tapatalk

The supposed expert commentators (including Ling for whom I have a lot of regard) were making a big fuss, including in the after-game summary, about the holding-the-ball free kick to Goodes against Swallow when Swallow tried to burrow his way through with his head buried into Goodes' body. They all seemed to think the umpire was (incorrectly) applying the new ruling about leading with the head.
    The way I saw it at the time, and having now watched the replay, it was a completely correct call by the umpire which had nothing to do with the new ruling on leading with the head.
    Swallow gathered the ball with his head down, he was correctly tackled by Goodes, but Swallow made NO attempt to correctly dispose of the ball. Swallow simply held on to the ball and kept trying to push Goodes forward. A player with no opportunity MUST make a genuine attempt to correctly dispose of the ball. Otherwise it's 'holding the ball'.
    Am I right?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The supposed expert commentators (including Ling for whom I have a lot of regard) were making a big fuss, including in the after-game summary, about the holding-the-ball free kick to Goodes against Swallow when Swallow tried to burrow his way through with his head buried into Goodes' body. They all seemed to think the umpire was (incorrectly) applying the new ruling about leading with the head.
    The way I saw it at the time, and having now watched the replay, it was a completely correct call by the umpire which had nothing to do with the new ruling on leading with the head.
    Swallow gathered the ball with his head down, he was correctly tackled by Goodes, but Swallow made NO attempt to correctly dispose of the ball. Swallow simply held on to the ball and kept trying to push Goodes forward. A player with no opportunity MUST make a genuine attempt to correctly dispose of the ball. Otherwise it's 'holding the ball'.
    Am I right?
    I thought it was a text book example of the new interpretation"- Swallow forged forward with his head burrowed into Goodes' chest. I think it's less to do with the traditional understanding of prior opportunity, and more an attempt to stop players doing something that could injure the neck in some circumstances.

Opti-pessi-misti
    What about the deliberate biff on Buddy? If it had been the other way around it would have been a free kick for sure!

The rule was made to stop players putting their heads down and leading with them to get a high contact free kick. Swallow was picking the ball up when he was tackled, his head was already down and remained in that position through the tackle. It was a stinker of an interpretation of the new rule, that is not what the rule was introduced for.

Swallow made no attempt. Goodes was smiling because he couldn't believe swallow was that stupid.

It was shaw who steamed through the middle and hit buddy lace out for the last goal

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I agree with Meg in that it wasn't the new rule as such, more just Swallow not making any attempt at all to dispose of the ball. It was a harsh decision but technically the right call.

I'm not sure why they weren't talking about the Richards/Waite/Thomas debacle in the first quarter...one of the worst decisions you're ever likely to see.

[QUOTE=liz;673783]I thought it was a text book example of the new interpretation"- Swallow forged forward with his head burrowed into Goodes' chest. I think it's less to do with the traditional understanding of prior opportunity, and more an attempt to stop players doing something that could injure the neck in some circumstances.[/ QUOTE]

What the commentators are saying is that a player has to put his head down to gather a low ball and that Swallow had no chance to lift his head because of the position of Goodes. That is, that Swallow didn't deliberately lead with his head.
    Even if you accepted that (and I am happy to do so) surely the well established rule (as written into the Laws of the Game) still apply. Swallow has to either correctly dispose or make a genuine attempt to correctly dispose of the ball. He in fact simply clung on to the ball while driving forward.

MB you should watch the Whistleblowers segment about the new rule if you haven't yet. The Swallow free was a textbook example of a player trying to drive through a tackle using his head. That counts as prior opportunity and therefore holding the ball.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast