Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaw: has half a season taught us anything?

I thought that Jones and Newman were recruited to be the ultimate half back successors to Shaw and Malceski respectively. Unfortunately, injury seems to have hampered them both this year in seeing consistent footy so they may be a little way off getting a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I thought that Jones and Newman were recruited to be the ultimate half back successors to Shaw and Malceski respectively. Unfortunately, injury seems to have hampered them both this year in seeing consistent footy so they may be a little way off getting a start.
    Newman will be banging down the door with a decent run of games - he has a nice penetrating kick, and did some good stuff yesterday in the ressies game. I really liked what I saw yesterday.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I tend to think Horse will stick with Shaw this year as he values stability in our backline structure.

I don't expect him here next year though so there'll be at least two spots up for grabs next year with Goodes and Shaw retiring - you'd think Jones is being groomed for the Shaw role

I always think Gerard Healy is right on the ball with his comments, especially with the Swans

Tonight he lamented our backline and seemed to imply that he thought Shaw's days were numbered. He also said that we will get chopped up by the Hawks if we give goals away like that which I agree with despite what the Rampe apologists will say - I don't care how many possessions he gets, if he gifts any more goals by kicking across the face I think he will be dropped as a matter of principle.

Healy also thought the McVeigh should be slotted across half back and was also advocating Zak Jones. I think that once Heeney is back that we could well see Rampe playing for his spot - Smith, Ted, Jones, McVeigh, Grundy and Laidler has a much more solid look about it from my perspective....

All the same I kind of like we have stuff to work on in the back end of the year, I think we got just a little too comfortable last season at the back end

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Jones is a very hard-edged defender and is probably quicker than Shaw, who really struggles ono-on-one these days. He's lost his ability to take on the man and win, and now often gets caught out or forced to give away a free.

Although I think it would be best to replace his small defender spot, we can actually play Reid as a permanent defender instead. McVeigh and Jetta seem to take turns in a sweeper role, but McVeigh can also play as a permanent defender. Cunningham has had plenty of tagging assignments, so could be given run with roles with small forwards and would also give plenty of run off halfback. With Heeney and McGlynn on the way back, Cunningham is less likely to play as a half forward.
    I break into a cold sweat when I think of someone like Elliott isolating Cunningham in the goal square. As much as I like Harry, he is a stopper, not a defender.

Rampe has been named in some teams of the week this round, and got a couple of coaches' votes as well. I agree that he needs to clean up his errors, but there's no way he's getting dropped. Shaw would be the one to go if we need a change to the defence. Rampe's error's are more mental. He just needs to understand the situation before he kicks. Shaw's problems have more to do with his mediocre one on one skills and his loss of pace. He still moves well, but not at the pace where he used to break the lines in the past and that was his best asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I break into a cold sweat when I think of someone like Elliott isolating Cunningham in the goal square. As much as I like Harry, he is a stopper, not a defender.
    Elliot is a tough matchup for anyone. Cunningham would not be my first choice anyway for a defensive replacement. I really don't know how he would go, but he could provide the pace to run out of defence and is good kick of the ball. If we were playing Collingwood and Harry played in defence he would more likely get an assignment like Fasolo with Elliot going to either Smith or Rampe.

Although I would like to see an alternative to Shaw in out backline, I don't think Horse has the courage to drop him. My feeling is that Shaw wants one more premiership than his brother and that's what is driving him on. But if we do replace Shaw, Jones or Newman would be the preferred options.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I always think Gerard Healy is right on the ball with his comments, especially with the Swans

Tonight he lamented our backline and seemed to imply that he thought Shaw's days were numbered. He also said that we will get chopped up by the Hawks if we give goals away like that which I agree with despite what the Rampe apologists will say - I don't care how many possessions he gets, if he gifts any more goals by kicking across the face I think he will be dropped as a matter of principle.

Healy also thought the McVeigh should be slotted across half back and was also advocating Zak Jones. I think that once Heeney is back that we could well see Rampe playing for his spot - Smith, Ted, Jones, McVeigh, Grundy and Laidler has a much more solid look about it from my perspective....

All the same I kind of like we have stuff to work on in the back end of the year, I think we got just a little too comfortable last season at the back end
    I'm not sure what Gerard's been watching the last month and a half but that's where McVeigh has been playing save for a couple of short cameos up forward. He's been our main kick in taker in that time.

I am a fan of Shaw but I agree with the assessment.

Rampe is our future. He is 36 games in and we need to back him. He is the new Mal.

However we can't afford two defenders who give up goals - so it's Shaw's time to go.

I favour putting Reid back permanently. He grows a few inches back there. That will allow us to play both Heeny and Benny up forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Although I would like to see an alternative to Shaw in out backline, I don't think Horse has the courage to drop him. My feeling is that Shaw wants one more premiership than his brother and that's what is driving him on.
    Sorry to say it but way too harsh again. What are these opinions based on? There is nothing that suggests to me that Horse (and the rest of the match selection committee) lacks courage even if they may be more conservative than you would be. They have made tough calls when they have felt it right to do so. And Shaw strikes me as the consummate team man and a great servant of our club and to suggest he is playing of for selfish and petty reasons is uncalled for.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MomentByMoment View Post
    Rampe is our future. He is 36 games in and we need to back him.
    Rampe has played 59 games I'm pretty sure, game 50 was against Port in round 2. I agree with your sentiment though he is still relatively inexperienced...he would be cut much more slack if he was a midfielder turning it over on the wing or at half-forward.

I really hope he doesn't lose too much confidence because he is a beautiful kick of the footy for the most part...look at his 60m pass to Rohan at the start of the Hawks game the other week, absolutely perfect. There aren't many players in the comp that could have pulled off that kick as well as he did.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Shaw was named on the bench with laider starting last game. Not sure that means anything or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast