Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaw: has half a season taught us anything?

Draft Scout

Shaw: has half a season taught us anything?

Clearly he is not quick enough and turns it over way too often. I would love to see us blood someone in the half back role for the future. Heeney towers or jones could all be good rebound defenders IMO.
    Staying ahead of the game...

Key player who is holing down a difficult position with no obvoius replacement.
    7 out of 10

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    There's no obvious replacement but it couldn't hurt to try a Marsh, Jones or Newman (pending upgrade) just to see how they go. Particularly against a lesser team.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    There's no obvious replacement but it couldn't hurt to try a Marsh, Jones or Newman (pending upgrade) just to see how they go. Particularly against a lesser team.
    Is there a "lesser" team? Carlton most likely, but there is not much difference between good and bad teams within the bounds of the game day variables ( weather, injury, umpires, slightly off day). Freo were in genuine danger of being beaten by a severely injury depleted Gold Coast. If we try someone, it has to be because we genuinely believe that they can play as well as whoever they are replacing. Marsh is an odd one. Keeps getting in the best by the coaches, but the reserves watchers don't seem to view things the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Key player who is holing down a difficult position with no obvoius replacement.
    7 out of 10
    I would have thought Zac Jones would be an obvious replacement.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    Clearly he is not quick enough and turns it over way too often..
    If he doesn't try and run through the lines no one does. Surprisingly, he is still quite quick over the field. It is just that his disposals are not consistently good.
    The Rooster has been tried down back but we can all see his spot is the wing, the same with Jetta (who, BTW, should be taking more shots from around and just outside the 50).

I have not seen enough of Jones but from reports he would be a better kick but we it comes to taking on his man and going for a run ... I defer to the Ressie's Watch:
    "Seconds gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until the final siren. I shall take no partner, hold no hands, avoid father-and-son discussion. I shall wear no crowns except 2005 Premiership T. I shall live and die at my goal post. I am the smart phone in the darkness. I am the watcher on the suburban fields. I am the shield that guards the realms of Aussie Rules. I pledge my life and honor to the Ressie's Watch, for this seconds game and all the seconds games to come."
    You know nuffin' Ugg.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 14th June 2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: apologies to those who do not watch Game of Thrones
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    ^^^^ absolutely brilliant!!

Veterans List
    Shaw has been a better recruit than we (ok, I) might ever have hoped for. But to me he is certainly nearing the end - the back half turn overs have already cost us one game this year and came close to costing another last night. It's hard not to imagine there is a Plan B and if there isn't it's an indictment on our list management.

Oh and yes that it most excellent RogueSwan!
    Last edited by giant; 14th June 2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: RS's Black Watch parody duly applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    If he doesn't try and run through the lines no one does. Surprisingly, he is still quite quick over the field. It is just that his disposals are not consistently good.
    The Rooster has been tried down back but we can all see his spot is the wing, the same with Jetta (who, BTW, should be taking more shots from around and just outside the 50).

I have not seen enough of Jones but from reports he would be a better kick but we it comes to taking on his man and going for a run ... I defer to the Ressie's Watch:

You know nuffin' Ugg.

Jones is a very hard-edged defender and is probably quicker than Shaw, who really struggles ono-on-one these days. He's lost his ability to take on the man and win, and now often gets caught out or forced to give away a free.

Although I think it would be best to replace his small defender spot, we can actually play Reid as a permanent defender instead. McVeigh and Jetta seem to take turns in a sweeper role, but McVeigh can also play as a permanent defender. Cunningham has had plenty of tagging assignments, so could be given run with roles with small forwards and would also give plenty of run off halfback. With Heeney and McGlynn on the way back, Cunningham is less likely to play as a half forward.

Watched Newman he takes all Reserves kick ins , solid in the backline .Think hes the bloke

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Watched Newman he takes all Reserves kick ins , solid in the backline .Think hes the bloke
    Newman played well yesterday for the ressies, I like him - gee he reminds me in style of Marty Mattner. I'd expect they want him to get a good run of footy for the ressies before consideration for the firsts, but he must be in there with a shout if they do decide to replace Shaw. Zak Jones the other obvious one for me.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast