Thread: Nic Newman: Should we upgrade him to the senior list?

Nic Newman: Should we upgrade him to the senior list?

I believe we can upgrade one rookie to the senior list after round 11 if we have room in the TPP, which I would imagine we have planned for.

I read on the match day thread that Gerard Healy thinks we need to do better coming out of defence. Maybe someone like Newman, who has very good kicking skills is just the medicine we need to move the ball out of defence.

His initial few games seem to have gone well. He racked up 33 possies on the weekend.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He's missed the preseason and is only starting to play full NEAFL games in the last 2 rounds. I still suspect they will want him to have another solid 3-4 rounds of NEAFL football before he even comes into consideration for the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He's missed the preseason and is only starting to play full NEAFL games in the last 2 rounds. I still suspect they will want him to have another solid 3-4 rounds of NEAFL football before he even comes into consideration for the seniors.
    But should we upgrade him? I may be wrong, but I thought there was a small window to do these things and once it passes you lose the opportunity. I agree with you that he is unlikely to get senior selection before some additional games in the reserves, but could he be a useful option later in the season?

Kicks well ,seems cool under pressure !

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Has to be able to defend first and foremost.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Has to be able to defend first and foremost.
    Better than Shaw? Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Shaw has had a few ordinary one-on-one's in recent weeks but I can't think of a game off the top of my head where he has been comprehensively beaten or had numerous goals kicked on him by his direct opponent.

I think people are underselling his onfield leadership as well, he is always one of our more vocal players and definitely someone that the younger guys look up to.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Goes up to 11

I think people are underselling his onfield leadership as well, he is always one of our more vocal players and definitely someone that the younger guys look up to.
    I think that's probably what's keeping him in the team at the moment.

Way too much credit going to G.Healy around here.

I would've got Shaw to retire at the end of last year. We're well into another season now, I wouldn't be changing the backline now at 9-2 unless injury forces us to.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Shaw has had a few ordinary one-on-one's in recent weeks but I can't think of a game off the top of my head where he has been comprehensively beaten or had numerous goals kicked on him by his direct opponent.

Great point! One I have been overlooking.

As for Newman, he looks promising but I agree they may want to build up his fitness more before moving him up to seniors. I think Jones has first dibs on Shaw's spot and is the heir apparent for that spot next season when Shaw is gone. I think Jones pretty well said as much in his interview on the Swans website following his contract extension. Of course there is no guarantee and Newman might overtake him. But also, they're a bit different aren't they? With Jones more one to run the ball out of defence like Shaw and Newman being a beautiful kick and distributor, unlike Shaw. Also Jones is touted as one who could, perhaps in time, spend some time on the ball midfield whereas I haven't yet heard the same said about Newman. Might this versatility count in Jones favour given we are seeking to become an evermore versatile team?

Veterans List
    Liked the look of Newman against the Gold Coast, I'm sure he will make the grade. When will depend on injuries.

From the little we saw of Jones last year, he looks like he could play HB, wing, midfield.

Both may be in the side come 2016.