Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 13 vs Richmond

Senior Player
    I think that Pyke has been battling knee problems for a couple of years and has to manage himself to avoid injury. He would probably be the best ruck available against Maric and I don't think we can afford to concede anything against Richmond.
    I do however think that we should pick some easier games to blood Naismith an Nanka.
    Watching the Richmond Wet Toast game what was striking was that Maric could do nothing to nullify Nic Nat because he couldn't leap anywhere near high enough to spoil his taps to advantage.I think we need to think about either Naismith or Derickx against Nic Nat because of their higher leap and greater height in the case of Naismith. They both probably have better speed to run with Nic Nat too.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    If we are going to blood a new ruckman I think, based on what we hear from the ressie watchers, we would be better off picking Naismith as being more mobile, a better kick at goal as well as taller than anyone else on our list. I'm inclined to see Nanny as a younger Tippett in terms of roles he might play. All highly speculative of course.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    We have to try them out some time soon, even if only to accelerate their development.

Veterans List
    I'll say it again, our ruck combination this year is third for hit outs (+124) and fourth for hit outs to advantage (+32). Richmond is 15th (-93) and 14th (-31).

So forget about Pyke going out, it's not happening nor should it. Nankers has been ok in the twos not dominant.

Only change McGlynn in, Robinson out. Heeney to run around in the twos for a couple of weeks to prove he is up to standard for a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'll say it again, our ruck combination this year is third for hit outs (+124) and fourth for hit outs to advantage (+32). Richmond is 15th (-93) and 14th (-31).

So forget about Pyke going out, it's not happening nor should it. Nankers has been ok in the twos not dominant.
    This is my point as to why this is a good game to try a 'Plan B' for our ruck situation. We are unlikely to get hurt regardless of who we play in the ruck.

We have the weakest ruck combination compared to the most probable other top-4 sides. I think we have to find a different combination to combat the ruck dominance of Freo, Hawthorn and the Eagles. I can accept that we will be beaten at the centre bounces, but hopefully we can make up for it with more productivity around the ground. But this is our greatest weakness with Pyke, so we get beaten badly in the ruck as well as around the ground. I feel this may be too great a liability to overcome and win a premiership.

I suppose we will do nothing and just hope Pyke finds the form he had 2 years ago. It can happen. Look how Goodes has turned around his poor early season form.

Naismith was absolutely spanked by Maric last year. I have concerns about both he and Nankervis wrt their ability to run out games given their age and fitness levels. It takes a big tank to haul a 2m frame around an AFL game and at least we know Pyke has that ability.

I actually think that if Pyke was injured Derrickx would be the first to replace him given his maturity and decent amount of senior experience.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Naismith was absolutely spanked by Maric last year. I have concerns about both he and Nankervis wrt their ability to run out games given their age and fitness levels. It takes a big tank to haul a 2m frame around an AFL game and at least we know Pyke has that ability.

I actually think that if Pyke was injured Derrickx would be the first to replace him given his maturity and decent amount of senior experience.
    I agree that this is not the week to try Naismith but he is even bigger and stronger and more experienced than last year and would not be that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Goldstein showed today what can happen when you put in an inexperienced ruck against one of the best. Lobb was in Nankervis' draft year and IIRC the Swans were linked with him before the Giants somewhat surprisingly picked him up before our pick.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I agree that this is not the week to try Naismith but he is even bigger and stronger and more experienced than last year and would not be that bad.
    and has been out with a groin problem!

If he get free from injury, Naismith is who the club believes can be our main ruckman post Pyke.

BTW, did you watch young Rory Lobb who we were keen on in the 2013 draft get monstered by Goldstein yesterday?

To be fair, goldstein is the best ruckman in the comp

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ...Only change McGlynn in, Robinson out. Heeney to run around in the twos for a couple of weeks to prove he is up to standard for a recall.
    I want Benny back but only if he 100%. We need his "grunt" to last all the way to September.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    ...I actually think that if Pyke was injured Derrickx would be the first to replace him given his maturity and decent amount of senior experience.
    I realise it is unfashionable but I would like to see TomD given another run of 4-5 games. Last year he started off very ordinary but after a few games he was less ordinary and willing to throw his weight around in contest in, dare I say it, a Mummyesque style. His kicking wasn't bad either, he would actually want to kick it.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Naismith is definitely developing well but ruckman just don't seem to come good until around 24-25 years old, which suggests he's at least a year off being able to play consistent AFL footy, which is what we need.

Not a huge fan of TomD but if we're going to experiment with the ruck at this point of the season we need someone who can take us through a finals campaign and neither of the Big N's are going to do that. No point in dropping Pyke and then just bringing him back.

Senior Player
    and has been out with a groin problem!

If he get free from injury, Naismith is who the club believes can be our main ruckman post Pyke.

BTW, did you watch young Rory Lobb who we were keen on in the 2013 draft get monstered by Goldstein yesterday?
    Quite aware that he has a groin strain, obviously he can't play against Richmond but we need a real go at giving him more senior experience for if/when we do have injury issues. Regarding Lobb I was almost going to post that it probably shows the difference between AFL elite ruckmen and the NEAFL ruck standard. All the more reason for senior exposure when we can afford to provide it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast