Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 13 vs Richmond

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I was under the impression that Heeney had been running for 3-4 weeks and been in full training for the last couple? If that is the case I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought straight back in...he has that very rare quality of being able to lift the entire team and generate enthusiasm.

However if he is only starting full training this week then he'll definitely be in the NEAFL if he even plays at all.

So most likely McGlynn in for Robinson, can't see Cunningham getting dropped he's just started finding some decent form.

Veterans List
    Heeney didn't train up to the bye and only resumes training with the main group this week. Coupla weeks in the ressies probably limited time next week too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Out: Pyke In: Nankervis --- A change that definitely won't happen but should happen. Pyke will do alright against Maric and we will go another week without fixing the problem of not having a ruckman who can contribute around the ground. Price to paid later in the season.

Out: Robinson In: Hewett --- Nothing wrong with Robbo, just time to give Hewett the sub vest and new contract. (Robbo likely to be dropped, but doubt that he will be replaced by Hewett).

Out: Shaw In: Jones --- I'd like to see this happen, but certainly won't. Give Jones a stopping job on Edwards. I think it would be a good assignment for him and one he can handle.

Doubt that Heeney will come directly into the seniors without at least a game or 2 in the reserves. McGlynn could come straight back if fit and would be helpful in locking down Houli's run out of defence. Cunningham played well and probably should hold his spot.
    You do remember what Maric did to Naismith on debut last year don't you?

Now is not the time to be experimenting in the ruck, or anywhere else. The next 2 games in particular look very important to me - Richmond is always a potential banana skin for us and Port, despite being down on form, are a danger team coming off a week's break that might have them feeling a bit rejuvenated. We need to be going into the Hawks game at 12-2 if possible, and in a position to basically rule out the Hawks finishing top 2 if we can knock them off.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Longmire has confirmed that Heeney will return through the NEAFL (via Adam Curley on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You do remember what Maric did to Naismith on debut last year don't you?

Now is not the time to be experimenting in the ruck, or anywhere else. The next 2 games in particular look very important to me - Richmond is always a potential banana skin for us and Port, despite being down on form, are a danger team coming off a week's break that might have them feeling a bit rejuvenated. We need to be going into the Hawks game at 12-2 if possible, and in a position to basically rule out the Hawks finishing top 2 if we can knock them off.
    Yes I do remember that game. Naismith was smashed in the 1st quarter, but improved from then on. He tired out in the second half. I think he's an improved player from that experience.

I think Nankervis is a different sort of player. He's more physical. I would expect that he will be beaten by Maric, but not to the extent that Naismith did.

Under your theory, it's never time to bring in a new player unless forced to due to injury. I fully agree that Richmond is no pushover and we will have to play at our best to win. My point about Pyke is that for some inexplicable reason he has lost his mojo, dropping marks, not kicking goals and continually giving away free kicks. Under current form, I don't see it as any big loss not having him in the side. I've been a big supporter of Mike over the years, but now find that I am waiting week to week for a turnaround in form that doesn't seem to be coming. Maybe a stint the reserves will do the trick.

Some will say it's wrong to look beyond the current game, but I am looking beyond this game and hoping we find a ruck combination that is more conducive to beating Hawthorn. I am of the opinion that part of the job during the H & A season is to find the best team to play finals against the opposition you're likely to face. I'm always wondering what we need to do to find a way to beat Hawthorn in the finals. Despite beating them a few weeks ago, I think we are still a notch below them and need to find something new to give us an edge up.

Well my revised selections now after Horse stated that both Heeney and McGlynn won't play are-

Out- Robinson
    In- Towers (Sub).

We may even go unchanged again but I have a feeling they might want Robbo to play a full game in the ressies. Time will tell!

I think Nankervis is a different sort of player. He's more physical....
    I see this assertion often on RWO and I don't agree at all. They are certainly different players, but I don't see Nankervis being more physical then Naismith...ever.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

The questions are:

How we stack up in the ruck against the following?
    1. Sandilands
    2. Natanui
    3. Combination of Hale, McEvoy, Celgar.

Is our inferiority in the current ruck division enough to cost us a premiership?

If so, what can be done about it?

Most suggested solution

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I see this assertion often on RWO and I don't agree at all. They are certainly different players, but I don't see Nankervis being more physical then Naismith...ever.
    I am with you Triple B. I think Naismith is more physically ready than Nankervis, and more naturally aggressive at the contest too.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    The questions are:

How we stack up in the ruck against the following?
    1. Sandilands
    2. Natanui
    3. Combination of Hale, McEvoy, Celgar.

Is our inferiority in the current ruck division enough to cost us a premiership?
    It is regularly put forward that it is your bottom six compared to the opposition's bottom is what often decides finals. Not one indiviudal.

Otherwise you would question:
    Is will Parker not being as good as Fyfe cost us a GF if we meet Freo there?
    Is the fact the Rooster not as consistent as Hill going to cost us a top two pos?
    Is Mitchell better on the inside than Mitchell?

Most suggested solution
    I think you are stretching your own imagery here.
    No one is saying ignore the "ruck" problem, are they? Some are happier with the Devil they know, hoping he may find his best form, and others want to bring in a relatively untried reserve who has shown some promise. I am wanting to go down a different path and see TomD come in and play with some attitude.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It is regularly put forward that it is your bottom six compared to the opposition's bottom is what often decides finals. Not one individual. ...
    I think one should consider the opposition's bottom with great reserve.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think one should consider the opposition's bottom with great reserve.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast