Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 13 vs Richmond

Changes - Round 13 vs Richmond

So we are under a week out now from our next game and Richmond played last night and lost in a disappointing performance at home so will no doubt be fired up next week.

We should have a fairly healthy list to choose from this week so possibly a few unlucky outs. With hopefully no fresh injuries my changes would be -

Out - Robinson, Cunningham.
    In - Heeney, Mcglynn.

Either of those two ins probably battling for the subs vest.

Out: Eddie

In: Heeney.

Out: Shaw Robinson
    In: Jones Heeney

Veteran Site Admin
    Do people really think Heeney will come straight back into the senior side, without a run in the NEAFL. Six or so weeks is a fair time for any player to be out and then return directly to senior footy. For an 19 year old kid who's played just a handful of senior games, I think it is doubtful.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Agree that Richmond will be keen to get back on the winners list, and they played very well last night until West Coast picked them apart. So expect a clash supercharged with determination to bounce back.

I think that Heeney has a kind of aura as far as Horse is concerned - unusual as Horse does not strike me as being troubled with auras - but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the winning team and brought Heeney back as the sub and JoeMoore12's Badass Blond Brigade would ride again. Alternatively Benny could get that job and Dan would miss out. Altogether a nice problem to have.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Out: Pyke In: Nankervis --- A change that definitely won't happen but should happen. Pyke will do alright against Maric and we will go another week without fixing the problem of not having a ruckman who can contribute around the ground. Price to paid later in the season.

Out: Robinson In: Hewett --- Nothing wrong with Robbo, just time to give Hewett the sub vest and new contract. (Robbo likely to be dropped, but doubt that he will be replaced by Hewett).

Out: Shaw In: Jones --- I'd like to see this happen, but certainly won't. Give Jones a stopping job on Edwards. I think it would be a good assignment for him and one he can handle.

Doubt that Heeney will come directly into the seniors without at least a game or 2 in the reserves. McGlynn could come straight back if fit and would be helpful in locking down Houli's run out of defence. Cunningham played well and probably should hold his spot.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Do people really think Heeney will come straight back into the senior side, without a run in the NEAFL. Six or so weeks is a fair time for any player to be out and then return directly to senior footy. For an 19 year old kid who's played just a handful of senior games, I think it is doubtful.
    Agree, considering the Swans are saying he will be back doing full training NEXT week, it is highly unlikely he will be straight back into the one's, possibly not even the two's after the bye. Yes, we rate him, but we also 'value' him(ie; long term).

Senior Player
    Richmond were smashed in the ruck by Nic Nat and they only lost by 20 points. Pyke won't be smashing them in the ruck in our games so it will be a real test. Can't be any half fit players so Heeney not a chance , McGlynn a chance for sub, but Bird would be the best mid available. Lloyd must be close to a spell in the ressies unless his poor form was caused by a niggle that the break has cured. Wouldn't be surprised if it was McGlynn and Bird for Robinson and Lloyd.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Goldstein showed today what can happen when you put in an inexperienced ruck against one of the best. Lobb was in Nankervis' draft year and IIRC the Swans were linked with him before the Giants somewhat surprisingly picked him up before our pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Goldstein showed today what can happen when you put in an inexperienced ruck against one of the best. Lobb was in Nankervis' draft year and IIRC the Swans were linked with him before the Giants somewhat surprisingly picked him up before our pick.
    After the Richmond game, we will go up against Lobbe, Stephan Martin + Lewinburger, then the Hawthorn game; all more difficult ruck opponents. So if we don't try something new this week we won't be changing unless forced to, which means we are committed to playing 17 men on the ground this season. It will be a memorable premiership if we can pull it off.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I don't think you've canvassed the possibility that playing a rookie ruck may be even worse than having Pyke in. you just have to be realistic with your expectations. Trying to wish Pyke is a Goldstein or Mumford isn't realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I don't think you've canvassed the possibility that playing a rookie ruck may be even worse than having Pyke in. you just have to be realistic with your expectations. Trying to wish Pyke is a Goldstein or Mumford isn't realistic.
    There's always a first game for every player. You just have to pick your spots and hope they make it through alright. I was one of Pyke's biggest supporters and didn't think losing Mummy would make a big difference. I based my assessment on Pyke's 2013 season, when he came in only second to Travis Cloke in contested marks and kicked plenty of goals as well. I admit that I was wrong. I had a reasonable expectation that Pyke would build on his good form and become one of the best ruckmen in the league. I don't know what's gone wrong, but it just isn't happening. The question is what to do about it.

It's probably the same question as what we would do if Pyke got injured. Would we go with playing Tippett and Reid in the ruck, or try Nankervis and Naismith? Derickx is not a realistic possibility as he is just a incompetent around the ground as Pyke.

I didn't suggest that we replace Pyke with a rookie against Goldstein, because I knew we would go from being beaten badly to being slaughtered. It was not the right time. But this week I think there is an opportunity to try one of the young ruckmen. Maric is not having a great season. He's fairly slow and not a big danger of being a game turner, although he is a competent player.

We can split time between Nankervis and Tippett in the ruck and forward. Nankervis is a good mark and kick for goal, as you know better than any of us. I don't feel we will be very exposed by his inclusion. I think we should learn something useful by playing him, good or bad.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast