Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Round 12: Sydney Swans Reserves v Sydney University

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks to ugg, Liz, Ampersand and others for the preview and comments.

A dismal day for the ressies too, but not surprising when you look at the wealth of talent not on the ground. Things will improve.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Which players replaced Bird and Robinson in the midfield? I thought Hiscox might be one of them but his low disposal count indicates he probably didn't.

It really was a bit of a shambles in there - most of the reason Uni smashed them was because our clearance work was so terrible. I noticed Hewett, Foote, Jack and, yes, Hiscox in there on occassions, though he seemed to play mostly on the wing. There were a few Academy top ups in there too - from memory #51 and #55, though don't quote me on that. Liz might remember.

After half time Towers, one of our few clean users of the ball, went back and played a McVeigh-type sweeper role around defence in an attempt to stem the flow of goals, which meant our forward options were even more limited. Aliir Aliir went forward but didn't do much up there except contest a fair number of ball ups.

Oh, and regarding our big men giving the likely suspensions in the seniors - I though Nankervis looked good as a forward target and in the ruck, particularly in the 1st half but he was obviously frustrated by the poor performance in the 2nd and gave away a couple of undisciplined frees plus a 50 metre penalty. It's hard to say how much of his occasional dominance is down to his size advantage over smaller opponents but my instincts suggest that he'd struggle right now at the AFL level against similar sized or bigger opponents.

McLaren is barely worth mentioning. He popped up for a few cameos in the first half but if he did much after that I was at the bar. Not that anyone is suggesting he might be ready for a berth in the seniors. Although Richards played well the whole performance made me very worried about our KPD depth.

Clearance stats will come out Monday or Tuesday

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    It really was a bit of a shambles in there - most of the reason Uni smashed them was because our clearance work was so terrible. I noticed Hewett, Foote, Jack and, yes, Hiscox in there on occassions, though he seemed to play mostly on the wing. There were a few Academy top ups in there too - from memory #51 and #55, though don't quote me on that. Liz might remember.

After half time Towers, one of our few clean users of the ball, went back and played a McVeigh-type sweeper role around defence in an attempt to stem the flow of goals, which meant our forward options were even more limited. Aliir Aliir went forward but didn't do much up there except contest a fair number of ball ups.
    The seniors clearance work is rubbish. Wonder who the clearance coach is. The clearance virus goes deep at our club.

Veterans List
    Good to see BJ best for us, impressive number of possessions in a badly beaten team.

Lack of senior depth is a real worry for us now given likely suspensions and bad injuries to Bird and Robinson. My boy George must be getting close to a senior debut.

ROUND 12 NEAFL MVP VOTES
    Sydney Swans v Sydney University
    9: Matt Rawlinson (Sydney University)
    9: Tom Young (Sydney University)
    3: Sam Fong (Sydney University)
    3: Jacob Derickx (Sydney University)
    3: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    3: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney University)

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    ROUND 12 NEAFL MVP VOTES
    Sydney Swans v Sydney University
    9: Matt Rawlinson (Sydney University)
    9: Tom Young (Sydney University)
    3: Sam Fong (Sydney University)
    3: Jacob Derickx (Sydney University)
    3: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    3: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney University)
    Any chance of Tom Young snaring a rookie list spot with us next year? Depending on our list changes someone like him with a bit of AFL experience could be handy depth cover?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Any chance of Tom Young snaring a rookie list spot with us next year? Depending on our list changes someone like him with a bit of AFL experience could be handy depth cover?
    Was going to say he's too old but he's only just turned 23...I'd be very surprised but you never know.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345