Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great team turn arounds

Regular in the Side

Great team turn arounds

I remember Balmain premier div went from zero to heroes in one year recently, but has anyone seen another like Parramatta in u/19s div 2? Last year they finished the year 0 and 15 with a percentage of 27. This year they are 8 and 1 with a percentage of over 400. (I reckon their only loss might have a story to it.) The fact the u/18s from last year is now the u/19s means it's the same players eligible this year so the improvement is not due to players graduating an age group. What have they done down there?

Almost Football Legend
    It was Under 19s last year. But it's hard to pin-point it - maybe just a very good crop coming through from the local under 17s clubs. Pennant Hills have also done well there, coming from non-finallists to undefeated at the top this year as well as fielding a second team in Div 2 (albeit that the Div 2 team forfeited yesterday).

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Sadly, it's a good news story for ONE CLUB only CB, and congratulations to them.

As Norris points out, it was u/19's last year as well, so there is the normal attrition across all clubs, and the numbers coming through have dwindled alarmingly once again (just not at Parramatta).

Sadly, most of the u/19 div 2 teams are lucky to avoid a forfeit 2 weeks out of 3 ... and when they have a Sunday game, and can't draw on u/17's they are normally stuffed.

The statistics are shameful.

In 2013, there were SEVENTEEN (17) U/18's teams across 2 divisions, and the only true failure was the dysfunctional "Macarthur Giants", who proved to the AFL that regardless of how much time effort and money you want to throw, they never wanted to play as an entity in the first place, and they added an exclamation mark by going 0 and 18 ... the ONLY team that didn't win at least 2 games.

Since going to Sunday divisionalised juniors, the outcomes are staggering.

We now have an 8 team div 1 and a 7 team div 2 in u/19's (giving us an extra year to draw from), and both comps have winless teams who can't compete, and div 2 that is a player or 2 away from a couple of forfeits each week.

So, sorry to say, this is yet another indictment of the AFL's management (mismanagement?) of the sport in Sydney ... I still can't work out how rising junior participation numbers convert to reduced numbers in the next pathway??? ... oh unless those reports are somehow inaccurate ...

Whilst on the subject, wtf is going on at ECE?

... whilst their NEAFL team will win the Premier division in a hand canter, they've gone from fielding two u/18's teams in recent years to one team that is winless from 10 games in u/19s div 1, and struggling to get 19 players for a game ... how does the AFL measure that success?

Has this anything to do with the AFL's decision to "Westernise" Baulko juniors ... oh Magooo, they've done it again!

Regular in the Side
    I'm a year behind when the comp changed to u19s. That sheds a different light on things. Still, it's a great effort for the goannas nonetheless. There's nothing worse than playing in a comp with forfeits every second week. So what's the rule if both teams cannot produce 14 players. Who gets the points? Does one team delay getting their team sheet in hoping the other will announce a forfeit first and thus they don't have to show 14 players are actually present to get the points? Tragic really.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    It was Under 19s last year. But it's hard to pin-point it - maybe just a very good crop coming through from the local under 17s clubs. Pennant Hills have also done well there, coming from non-finallists to undefeated at the top this year as well as fielding a second team in Div 2 (albeit that the Div 2 team forfeited yesterday).
    As an outsider looking in at the Hills district, the number and quality of Bauklo junior teams has dropped right off, whilst Penno have done some serious recruiting amongst rep players in their area over the last couple of years and this looks to have flowed on to their 19's team. Also Penno's U17 Div 1 team is top of the table as well.

I don't think Parra are drawing their strength from their junior base and certainly the abolition of the pathway has been a benefit in this year's squad. Good luck to them though. They boasted academy coaches and have gained talented players from a wide area including Camden, Campbelltown, Penrith, Hills area etc. I'm sure the fact that Camden were not given a 19's team this year saw those kids drift to Gipps Rd. Of course the lure of an academy spot has always been a big factor for the kids (and probably more so the parents). Next year will be interesting to see if they stay around and I imagine that Parra would be keen to go to Div 1 19's to keep them. A quick look at the "Most Times in best" and they are mostly from out of area. As I said earlier, good luck to Parra on some good recruiting. The 19's Div 2 is a mess this year. Not the leagues fault, IMO, as nobody can really come up with a solution. Personally, I think they need to go back to a one tier Under 18's Comp next year, and give the remaining 18's to the junior clubs to play in a more localised competition. Penrith, currently second on the ladder behind Parra have been marked down for ten games. They've won 4 actual matches and won four by forfeit, with huge percentages (last week, 166-0 under the forfeit rule). With 8 games to go, they have two byes and are playing three teams that have already forfeited games this year. Hard work to keep them interested for the future years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Since going to Sunday divisionalised juniors, the outcomes are staggering.

We now have an 8 team div 1 and a 7 team div 2 in u/19's (giving us an extra year to draw from), and both comps have winless teams who can't compete, and div 2 that is a player or 2 away from a couple of forfeits each week.

So, sorry to say, this is yet another indictment of the AFL's management (mismanagement?) of the sport in Sydney ... I still can't work out how rising junior participation numbers convert to reduced numbers in the next pathway??? ... oh unless those reports are somehow inaccurate ...

Has this anything to do with the AFL's decision to "Westernise" Baulko juniors ... oh Magooo, they've done it again!
    You've hit on a few issues there ucm and I'd say these all contribute to the situation that we have although I'd say after having a direct involvement in junior footy for the last 15 years, the move the Sunday hasn't been too bad, Baulko's westernisation definately had an impact. I'd say, again also after having a direct involvement in the last few years, the Academies continual emphasis and expectation setting of a pathway to the AFL is having a detrimental impact on the U17 and U19 level. Players are continually sold the story they have an AFL career ahead of them and when it doesn't happen they leave the game completely. I'm supportive of the Academies generally, however they need to drastically change their emphasis to keeping the boys playing for their local clubs if that trend is going to continue.

Would be interesting to see what Camden could produce SHH?

Seem to produce the goods in most other aspects??

I think the answer to a strong U19 squad is how well the senior clubs engage with the junior clubs, players, and parents in that area.
    Why did Mac Uni drop their U19 team this year?

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    I think the answer to a strong U19 squad is how well the senior clubs engage with the junior clubs, players, and parents in that area.
    Why did Mac Uni drop their U19 team this year?
    Spot on there, clubs like Penno just have a great culture with their juniors and you are starting to get third generation players there too...

There must be a drop-off factor because we don't seem t be able to sustain the one club models they have in "football states". One club that is very well run and could become a powerhouse is Randwick/Maroubra - they have a massive junior club and quite a large catchment area.

The demise of the Campbelltown Junior Club competition is a tragedy for the code in Sydneybut looking at the juniors website there are some green shroots with clubs like South Campbelltown and Ingleburn fielding Under 10s.

GWS should be throwing everything at this in terms of community engagement - a six team SWS junior comp (Campbelltown Swans, South Campbelltowm, Ingleburn, Camden, Wollondilly, Liverpool) in every grade up to U17s should be the goal. Likewise Penrith with Rooty Hill, St Clair, Penrith, Hawkesbury, Emu Plains, Katoomba and Quakers Hill...

Not sure about Mac Uni - think they had a tie up with Westbrook juniors who are a real Penno club, imagine they'll look at fielding two teams at U19s at Penno.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 16th July 2015 at 11:34 PM.

Senior Player
    MP thats all great but its not going to happen plus you have left out a number of clubs that either should be there or are in the AFLs plans. Casula Cats (Peter Miller Oval), Bankstown (should be reborn but not a snowflakes chance in hell of returning the Sydney South) and South West Tigers.

As for two team clubs like Penno they shouldnt be allowed unless players are registered and restricted to a team. Penno dont have the numbers for two teams this year and have already been stripped of the points once and the team that played my boys was a joke but allowed under the current by laws.

Nice one Mug...as you know, I don't care for a lot of what you serve up on RWO, but posts like this show us that you think smart, wide-ranging and positively.

Well done to you !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast