Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24

Thread: Great team turn arounds

  1. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    I think the answer to a strong U19 squad is how well the senior clubs engage with the junior clubs, players, and parents in that area.
    Why did Mac Uni drop their U19 team this year?
    I just wonder if U19D2 should only be a 12 game season?
    Avoiding School Holidays, Exam times etc...

    Fixing a time slot for all games at either 10 or noon would help too..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

  2. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    I just wonder if U19D2 should only be a 12 game season?
    Avoiding School Holidays, Exam times etc...

    Fixing a time slot for all games at either 10 or noon would help too..
    I think divisionalisation has had a negative effect on the under age teams.

    I liked the old three grades system where the young guys would play at 10.00 am and the older heads could go along and support. It all added to the integration of the cluib and the family atmosphere

    I understand the reasons for divisionalistion but surely we are at the stage now where a traditional integrated model for two divs with 2-3 one club comps below is what suitsus best

    Again, a potential format could be

    SFL - UTS, North Shore, UNSW, Penno, Manly, Sydney Uni, Baulko, St George
    SFA - Sutherland, Moorebank, Parramatta, Mac Uni, Maroubra, Holroyd Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith, Camden, Balmain

    One up, one down

    SFA Div 1 - 3 being 8 team comps
    UNSW (2) UTS (2) Sydney Uni (2) Manly Penno Hawkesbury Blacktown Wollondilly Gosford plus any new clubs could fill these

  3. #15
    This weekend St George u19s have to play at Weldon at 8.30. Get there 7.30? Half the team lives in the shire, your leaving home at almost 6 am. Can't find too many 18 and 19 year olds who are keen to get up at 6 am to play a game of footy.

    Normally it's good at saints with 19s at 10, ressies at 12 and seniors at 2. Works out like that most home games. Few people have mentioned creating a div 4 or something but that would mean playing at 8am a few times a year and you wont get old blokes keen for a run at that time.

  4. #16
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    quakers hill
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think divisionalisation has had a negative effect on the under age teams.

    I liked the old three grades system where the young guys would play at 10.00 am and the older heads could go along and support. It all added to the integration of the cluib and the family atmosphere

    I understand the reasons for divisionalistion but surely we are at the stage now where a traditional integrated model for two divs with 2-3 one club comps below is what suitsus best

    Again, a potential format could be

    SFL - UTS, North Shore, UNSW, Penno, Manly, Sydney Uni, Baulko, St George
    SFA - Sutherland, Moorebank, Parramatta, Mac Uni, Maroubra, Holroyd Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith, Camden, Balmain

    One up, one down

    SFA Div 1 - 3 being 8 team comps
    UNSW (2) UTS (2) Sydney Uni (2) Manly Penno Hawkesbury Blacktown Wollondilly Gosford plus any new clubs could fill these
    Your geography just gets better today MP. Western Suburbs are extinct in your new model.

  5. #17

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think divisionalisation has had a negative effect on the under age teams.

    I liked the old three grades system where the young guys would play at 10.00 am and the older heads could go along and support. It all added to the integration of the cluib and the family atmosphere

    I understand the reasons for divisionalistion but surely we are at the stage now where a traditional integrated model for two divs with 2-3 one club comps below is what suitsus best

    Again, a potential format could be

    SFL - UTS, North Shore, UNSW, Penno, Manly, Sydney Uni, Baulko, St George
    SFA - Sutherland, Moorebank, Parramatta, Mac Uni, Maroubra, Holroyd Parramatta, Campbelltown, Penrith, Camden, Balmain

    One up, one down

    SFA Div 1 - 3 being 8 team comps
    UNSW (2) UTS (2) Sydney Uni (2) Manly Penno Hawkesbury Blacktown Wollondilly Gosford plus any new clubs could fill these

    I agree a hybrid model would work very well.
    Particularly if it guarantees each club's senior and reserves teams are at the same venue every week.

    And agree all other teams should continue to play under a divisionalised structure.
    It makes sense.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

  6. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Your geography just gets better today MP. Western Suburbs are extinct in your new model.
    Ha Ha, they'd be a yo-yo club at the moment for mine...

  7. #19
    MP & Benchwarmer... Sydney Football has forever changed since the Seniors and Reserves days. Looking at the clubs with multiple teams I think there is only 1 with only Seniors, Reserves and an under 19s - St George. All others have 4, 5 and in the case of the Uni's 6, and 7 teams. In Prems Manly with 5 teams, Baulko 4, UNSW 7 or 8 etc. The old Seniors, Reserves and Thirds just does not make sense any more. I think Sydney Uni played Penno in 5 games last Sunday, shouldn't that we goal for all clubs.

  8. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    MP & Benchwarmer... Sydney Football has forever changed since the Seniors and Reserves days. Looking at the clubs with multiple teams I think there is only 1 with only Seniors, Reserves and an under 19s - St George. All others have 4, 5 and in the case of the Uni's 6, and 7 teams. In Prems Manly with 5 teams, Baulko 4, UNSW 7 or 8 etc. The old Seniors, Reserves and Thirds just does not make sense any more. I think Sydney Uni played Penno in 5 games last Sunday, shouldn't that we goal for all clubs.
    Part of me agrees with you and I applaud the way the Unis and clubs like Penno have really embraced the whole emphasis of player involvement.

    I just think the traditional three grade system in a relegation-promotion club based system supported by a divisional layer below, a hybrid model if you like, could give the best of both worlds.

    I guess it also depends on what you want long term. Personally I think the VAFA model is one to aspire to and IF the game grows in Sydney at a senior level the logistical issues will only increase

  9. #21
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    2,029
    For us out here, our existence is a year to year prospect, so a divisional model works best. Half of our squad last year is traipsing around Europe this year, and the same is expected next year based off these blokes seeing those blokes pics on social media!

  10. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    For us out here, our existence is a year to year prospect, so a divisional model works best. Half of our squad last year is traipsing around Europe this year, and the same is expected next year based off these blokes seeing those blokes pics on social media!
    Agree divisional model works well for you guys so you'd be in the divisional pool of the hybrid model

  11. #23
    So with this hybrid model, how would a strong club in the lower leagues get promoted to the main league?

  12. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    So with this hybrid model, how would a strong club in the lower leagues get promoted to the main league?
    In the case of Div 1 (the old SFL) by winning Div 2 (old SFA) and having an Under 19 team

    In the case of Div 2 by having two senior teams they feel are of suitable quality to be competitive in that league. WOuld imagine that clubs be given the chance to opt out of Div 2 if they wish - would cater for clubs that have downturns in fortunes from time to time such as Camden and Norwest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO