Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10th Premier Division Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    I reckon Moorebank would be better set up off the field.
    They have certainly come a long way andthey are very established

Here's an idea for the NSWAFL and AFL. Instead of trying to pick a winner and get a quick and easy result, how about an integrated approach to the game in this market. How about an apporach to build three strong clubs from the bottom up starting with juniors and just let the football law of the jungle determine which one becomes the SFL club, assuming at this stage there is only enough talent/money/support for one SFL team in that area

Quote Originally Posted by radar oreilly View Post
    Having a gander at Camdens list at the moment (I am a Camden boy and probably biased) I am sure that they could at least be competitive in Prems.
    Withers, Ayling, Maher, Van Leunen, Wharton, Yakimov, Bottin-Noonan, Doherty, Sommerville brothers, Kershaw, Hogan, Macrossen, Beveridge, Lecek, Edwins and a few youngsters coming up ie Brown, Jesson, Laws. Some of those names wouldn't be out of place in any prems side. Money and depth (biggy) would be a problem though.
    Money and Depth would definitely be an issue. There is a few of those above that would make most Prems sides(Ayling, Maher, Wharton, Bottin-N, Edwins) in Sydney but there is also 5-6 that have gone out to Camden because they didn't want the Commitment of playing Prems etc or are Getting on, Withers is 36-37 and I doubt he will go around again? Its a massive jump from Div2 to Prems so with what they have now I couldn't see them being competitive.

Regular in the Side
    IMO if Campbelltown had any desire or possibility to rebuild they would have dropped out of PD but entered a Div 1 team.
    It is a long haul from Div 4 to PD now.
    It's a sad outcome, but Sydney footy across all codes is littered with clubs who no longer exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    IMO if Campbelltown had any desire or possibility to rebuild they would have dropped out of PD but entered a Div 1 team.
    It is a long haul from Div 4 to PD now.
    It's a sad outcome, but Sydney footy across all codes is littered with clubs who no longer exist.
    From what im told that wasn't an option given to them by the AFL the only option was Div 2 due to Div 1 being a 10 team comp. Once they were told that the Majority of the players from the Premier Squad told them that they wanted to play Prems and wanted to pursue that elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    From what im told that wasn't an option given to them by the AFL the only option was Div 2 due to Div 1 being a 10 team comp. Once they were told that the Majority of the players from the Premier Squad told them that they wanted to play Prems and wanted to pursue that elsewhere
    If that is right then it was a very poor decision and you have to assume the league was not interested in/had no belief in a Campbelltown rebuild. Seems like a real shame. Why didn't the effort that went into forming Blacktown go into assisting C'town? Great to hear of the growth and strengthening of Camden and Moorebank though.

Does the AFL have a criteria for deciding on who gets promoted to Prem Div? Is it subjective or objective? If not what should that criteria be?

Almost Football Legend
    I don't know if there's a checklist of criteria as such; but UTS & Manly both went up after winning Div 1 twice in a row.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

I don't know what the check list is either but I'm tipping that there is one....unwritten perhaps.
    One of the problems with our comp is that the playing list (and the admin too !!) varies so much from season to season, especially when players and committee aren't usually locked in beyond the current season.
    So this year's Div 1 premiers might easily look much different by next season and will be a different competitive animal. So the league would want to be pretty sure of how the premiership club will compete next year in a higher division.

Maybe that's why UTS and Manly had to win twice before they 'earned' the right to be promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I don't know what the check list is either but I'm tipping that there is one....unwritten perhaps.
    One of the problems with our comp is that the playing list (and the admin too !!) varies so much from season to season, especially when players and committee aren't usually locked in beyond the current season.
    So this year's Div 1 premiers might easily look much different by next season and will be a different competitive animal. So the league would want to be pretty sure of how the premiership club will compete next year in a higher division.

Maybe that's why UTS and Manly had to win twice before they 'earned' the right to be promoted.
    In the old days the "rules" were simply made up as the blazer brigade a NSWAFL HQ went along and completely focussed on self interest.

North Shore were on of the worst. Manly were well and truly ready back in the mid 80s when they won their flags in all grades but somehow amazingly the ponces at Norths managed to keep them out. Ditto with St Ives before then.

My view is pretty much as long as the club can field three teams (Under 19s compulsory) and can demonstrate financial stability then they should be allowed to have a crack.

It's why I just love the concept of an 8 team SFL and 10 team SFA with one down one up and let on field results sort out the composition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123