Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 15 V Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    What I think will happen not what I 'd like

IN: Tippett, Franklin; Rohan; Hewett
    OUT: Pyke; Heeney; McGlynn; Cunningham

Towers does my head in but clearly they see something in him so let's just give him 3-4 games in a row and then make a final judgement. I'm also keen to see Nanka given a good taste this year and I'd like to think Zak is now in for good.

Harry is becoming a bit of a fall guy but I'd like to see Hewett given a chance.
    Doh, should be

IN: Tippett, Franklin; Heeney; Hewett
    OUT: Pyke; Rohan; Cunningham; Towers

Got the math seriously wrong there....

But think Towers won't be dropped

Senior Player
    Doh, should be

IN: Tippett, Franklin; Heeney; Hewett
    OUT: Pyke; Rohan; Cunningham; Towers

Got the math seriously wrong there....

But think Towers won't be dropped
    Had me seriously confused for a moment there MP!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Towers was BOG last NEAFL game, wasn't he? To me he looks low on confidence, snatching, fumbling, dropping marks, like he expects to make a mistake. He needs a break out game to bring his NEAFL confidence to the AFL.

Still, he should now hold his spot until either Rohan, McGlynn or Heeney are ready. I'm interested in who won't be in the team when Heeney, McGlynn and Rohan are back in. Towers, Cunningham and... Shaw? Reckon that third spot is between Shaw and Jones. Jones was promising last night - that sprint out of defence to (I think) set up our last goal was very exciting.
    What I think will happen not what I 'd like

IN: Tippett, Franklin; Rohan; Hewett
    OUT: Pyke; Heeney; McGlynn; Cunningham

Towers does my head in but clearly they see something in him so let's just give him 3-4 games in a row and then make a final judgement. I'm also keen to see Nanka given a good taste this year and I'd like to think Zak is now in for good.

Harry is becoming a bit of a fall guy but I'd like to see Hewett given a chance.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

The towers issue is not about towers. It is actually about forward half defensive pressure and who can best play that role. Everything else is a distant 3rd

When I watch towers involvement I see a specific role requested by the coaches

The coaches want pressure applied on the opposition backline. That requires a very quick repeat set player.

Gary and dean and or mcglynn when picked are considered the best players to carry out this role in amongst our forwards rotation

Obviously the swans coaching dept want this to ensure less time for the opposition to make good decisions. This results in our team receiving easier opposition entries and or possible turnovers or locking down of play before it gets out.

The trade off is ?

I haven't heard what the towers haters would prefer given that this is not about towers for the coaches it is about pressure via speed in the forward line

There are only a couple of players that have the repeat set speed to carry out these constant sprints

Remembering just being able to angle a defensive kicker into areas we want to defend is a win.

The issue for the coaches is they want Max pressure in the forward line no 1

If this is the bloods way and it works then why is it that we don't see enough supporters acknowledge this selfless role as being for filled very well by towers ?

Let's be honest the team coaches and indv players know how vital this role is

They also know it is a frustrating exhausting boring @@@@ty role being the human beep test for 3 to 4 qtrs of footy ie chasing and steering the defence of the opposition and rarely getting a touch on the footy but it is obviously appreciated by the coaches and fellow players as it creates opportunities for us to wrestle back control tempo and build our attack to score

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    The towers issue is not about towers. It is actually about forward half defensive pressure and who can best play that role. Everything else is a distant 3rd

When I watch towers involvement I see a specific role requested by the coaches

The coaches want pressure applied on the opposition backline. That requires a very quick repeat set player.

Gary and dean and or mcglynn when picked are considered the best players to carry out this role in amongst our forwards rotation

Obviously the swans coaching dept want this to ensure less time for the opposition to make good decisions. This results in our team receiving easier opposition entries and or possible turnovers or locking down of play before it gets out.

The trade off is ?

I haven't heard what the towers haters would prefer given that this is not about towers for the coaches it is about pressure via speed in the forward line

There are only a couple of players that have the repeat set speed to carry out these constant sprints

Remembering just being able to angle a defensive kicker into areas we want to defend is a win.

The issue for the coaches is they want Max pressure in the forward line no 1

If this is the bloods way and it works then why is it that we don't see enough supporters acknowledge this selfless role as being for filled very well by towers ?

Let's be honest the team coaches and indv players know how vital this role is

They also know it is a frustrating exhausting boring @@@@ty role being the human beep test for 3 to 4 qtrs of footy ie chasing and steering the defence of the opposition and rarely getting a touch on the footy but it is obviously appreciated by the coaches and fellow players as it creates opportunities for us to wrestle back control tempo and build our attack to score
    If this is true then football skill becomes completely irrelevant. Why dont we just recruit an olympic sprinter for the role?

AG, I don't agree with your view that he fills the forward pressure role very well.

Forward pressure involves sticking your tackles. Towers is more your turnstile type tackler.

He chases but that's about it...And when the ball comes his way he's like a startled bunny.

IMO, he's got to go.

Do you not think B Jack would perform his role better? I do.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    OUT: Rohan Pyke Towers
    IN Tippett Buddy Robinson

Pyke did look a bit sore. So I think he gets another rest and nanko and tippo share the ruck duties against Brisbane without Martin

I would get Cunningham to play rohans role Cunningham had a pretty good game after coming on and Robinson is the sub.

There's absolutely no way Towers is in the side for his defensive capability. If he was you'd hope he could average a lot more than 1.8 tackles a game - tackling is maximum pressure, not running around like a chicken with your head cut off while the opposition play keep away. Also, as evidenced by several contests on Thursday, he's pretty weak at winning the contested ground ball or even just locking it in which is a key stat for a defensive forward.

Where Towers is strong is his attacking dash through the centre of the ground and providing a lead up target off half forward.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    There's absolutely no way Towers is in the side for his defensive capability. If he was you'd hope he could average a lot more than 1.8 tackles a game - tackling is maximum pressure, not running around like a chicken with your head cut off while the opposition play keep away...
    I have just watched a replay of the game. Before doing so I was firmly in the "there must be a better option than Towers" club. But he, along with Cunningham provided a lot of defensive pressure on the Power backs in the last 2-3 minutes. They may not have been complete tackles but they were the proverbially 1%er's. A fist to a kick to beat two Power and force a ball up, a shepherd, a contested mark on the wing, a tap on to Kennedy.
    A small sample set granted, but he looked like a footballer to me. I am not yet completely convinced but if he stays in the team I would not be concerned.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Blog Entries
    I would suspect the only certainties are Gaz out, and Franklin and Tippett in.
    So who else goes out?
    Probably either of Nanko or Towers. I would guess on the performance of both Towers would give way.

Probably out also would be Ted. This would mean that Nanko would definitely stay.

So the changes would most likely LF and KT in, for Gaz and DT.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I would suspect the only certainties are Gaz out, and Franklin and Tippett in.
    So who else goes out?
    Probably either of Nanko or Towers. I would guess on the performance of both Towers would give way.

Probably out also would be Ted. This would mean that Nanko would definitely stay.

So the changes would most likely LF and KT in, for Gaz and DT.
    With a ten day break between games, Ted should be fine, but as it is Brisbane, they may be conservative with him, and give someone else a go down there. Reid maybe, with Bud and Tip returning.

No way Tippett and Franklin come in and both Nankervis and Pyke stay. We're too tall forward already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I have just watched a replay of the game. Before doing so I was firmly in the "there must be a better option than Towers" club. But he, along with Cunningham provided a lot of defensive pressure on the Power backs in the last 2-3 minutes. They may not have been complete tackles but they were the proverbially 1%er's. A fist to a kick to beat two Power and force a ball up, a shepherd, a contested mark on the wing, a tap on to Kennedy.
    A small sample set granted, but he looked like a footballer to me. I am not yet completely convinced but if he stays in the team I would not be concerned.
    I'm still firmly in the "there must be a better option than Towers" club. It's only that the better options were injured or suspended. I had no issue with him being selected and thought he delivered about on par with what was asked of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Where Towers is strong is his attacking dash through the centre of the ground.
    So long as he can actually gather the ball first........

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast