Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 15 V Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    You know I read a lot of dross on this website and others about our team and various players etc.

And then every so often I come across a pearl where someone has something reasonably original to say. And it makes wading through all the dross worthwhile.
    Must have something to do with Melbourne.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Unfortunately Towers is in 2nd position behind Shaw as Whipping Boy's. Drafted as an mature draftee, 22 years old, from bendigo, i think, but will never be able to take a lot of marks and ground ball wins will be nearly zero. I am giving Harry a little more time and as he has Towers covered, meaning that Towers is in a lot of trouble if Heeney, Robbo and Hiscox are coming.
    Towers is a Colac boy! He'll be okay, just needs some confidence.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Towers is a Colac boy! He'll be okay, just needs some confidence.
    I'm a fan of towers. But he just gives me a feeling of jesse white. I watched big jesse last night and so many things that boy does are almost. he almost kicks a goal. he almost hits the perfect pass. he kicks for a forward to run onto another one drags his man into the space and the ball gets cleared.

towers is a bit the same. he gets the ball and he passes to someone and it almost comes off. he almost marks the ball. he almost tackles someone but they just get their hands free. he made a very important contest in the 3rd quarter which led to a goal but even that involved him trying to outmark ryder from behind rather than spoiling (at least thats what i thought at the time)

He really needs one great game i think to make him feel that he can play at this level

I'm a fan of towers. But he just gives me a feeling of jesse white. I watched big jesse last night and so many things that boy does are almost. he almost kicks a goal. he almost hits the perfect pass. he kicks for a forward to run onto another one drags his man into the space and the ball gets cleared.

towers is a bit the same. he gets the ball and he passes to someone and it almost comes off. he almost marks the ball. he almost tackles someone but they just get their hands free. he made a very important contest in the 3rd quarter which led to a goal but even that involved him trying to outmark ryder from behind rather than spoiling (at least thats what i thought at the time)

He really needs one great game i think to make him feel that he can play at this level
    Ditto for me. There is so much that almost comes off and would be game changing if it did. He has pace and gets to the right spots but then the almost factor comes in.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    You know I read a lot of dross on this website and others about our team and various players etc...
    But the big question is whether it will happen? Will the midfield become Buddy centric again or did they learn from last week?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Three big inclusions for Brisbane too.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    After seeing Sammys 1st half performance last week, and considering how Buddy centric we are becoming ( to our detriment I feel) I'd like to see the two of them swap between deep forward and Wing at points during games. I think it would mix things up and keep the opposition guessing. They both move well up the field, and kick well to position. They offer different things as forward though ( buddy more on lead, at ground level, Reid more aerial capability) and I think that could catch teams off guard with their match ups. At the very least we would be forced to look for other options, as we were against Port, and I think that will be key if we're going to challenge this year.
    Buddy himself talks about using that unpredictability here - Franklin ready to return - sydneyswans.com.au

It's got to happen.We have a lot of midfielders that are more accurate with kicks on the run than they are with set shots !

Warming the Bench
    Towers unfortunately isn't up to AFL standard. Not quite up to NEAFL either. Which is a shame. As he has all the attributes of a modern player.
    In the games he has played (not sure how he has been picked by match committee) he has missed tackles,marks and handballs.
    yet he still gets a game.
    I don't think it was a bad recruitment. He was worth the risk
    But please Horse no more games for Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Towers unfortunately isn't up to AFL standard. Not quite up to NEAFL either. Which is a shame. As he has all the attributes of a modern player.
    In the games he has played (not sure how he has been picked by match committee) he has missed tackles,marks and handballs.
    yet he still gets a game.
    I don't think it was a bad recruitment. He was worth the risk
    But please Horse no more games for Dean
    Actually its pretty clear from any reading of match reports that towers is one of the better players at neafl level and consistently so. and i think his performance in the neafl grand final last season was significant.

but it is a big step up from there.

ive thought for a while that he doesnt quite have the body of a modern afl player. he is built like a whippett - designed for speed rather than contact and while he has the height and leap.

i just think that his position in the swans game plan is a very difficult one - one which until recently rohan was really struggling with - they have to be a bit of a decoy inside fifty, run hard to the wings and pressure the ball carriers. cunningham also struggles to find the ball as does goodes and the ball does get butchered by some of our more high possession midfielders.

anyway we'll see what the next steps are.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Towers is genuinely quick, I know it's probably not his role but I'd love to see him take the game on a bit more.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Goes up to 11
    I think we may see Towers in a sort of a 'Gary Rohan lite' role over the next few weeks.... We'll see how he goes....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast