Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 41

Thread: Round 13: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants @ Blacktown International Sports Park

  1. #13
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    Swans 1.0 2.1 2.1 2.2 (14)
    Giants 6.3 14.8 22.16 30.17 (197)

    Swans Goals: Loneragan, Rose
    Giants Goals: Lamb 8 Reid 7 Addison 3 Pickett 2 Phillips 2 Hoskin-Elliott Townsend Wilson Clark Hodgson Schulz Sumner Tomlinson

  2. #14
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    That was as comprehensive a beating I've seen at reserves level and I'll include some of the thrashings we handed out to the weaker Canberra teams 10 years ago. The 3rd quarter was paritcularly awful, we probably got the ball into our forward 50 about 2 or 3 times and the Giants just did whatever they liked with the ball. So many of their players had time and space to hit targets and in the rare occasions the ball was in dispute they were tougher, stronger and hungrier than our players.

    If I was really pressed hard to name some good players, I could possibly hand out pass marks to Jack and Robinson for most of their efforts but their ball use wasn't great either. Jack in paritcular bombed one great opportunity in the 2nd quarter when he kicked at goal when there was a free top up in the pocket that he should have passed to. Heeney looked good in the 1st quarter including a nice contested mark in the middle but had no impact after that and was rested about midway through quarter 3. With that in mind I very much doubt he will be considered for selection next week.

    Rose was also rested around this time. Derickx competed okay in the taps with Phillips but didn't contribute as much as the Giants ruckman around the ground. He suffered a shoulder injury in the 2nd quarter and from then on it was a struggle for poor old Abe Davis, Sean McLaren and a bit of Xavier Richards against the much taller and bigger Phillips in the ruck. I thought Hewett's efforts were pretty poor had no impact whatsoever, seems to have good games when the team is on top but lacking fight when the chips are down. He finished the game not playing in the midfield.

    Aliir had his moments with some good one on one bodywork but that was offset by the loose checking on his opponent Sam Reid who kicked 7 in total, with 6 in the 2nd half mostly on Aliir. Some of those goals were the easiest you will ever see with Reid unbelievable having great amounts of space and time despite playing mostly in the forward 50. Marsh fought hard and tried to marshall the defence but in the one on one duels was outpointed by Lamb on more than a few occasions although I wouldn't envy his task given the amount of ball coming into the Swans backline. Newman was sloppy on his kicking today, made poor decisions probably feeling the heat of the Giants players who hunted our players down with ferocity. McLaren struggled up forward as the main forward target, often lead 2nd to the ball, and didn't compete enough in the air to bring the ball to ground.

    Hiscox was quite anonymous across wing and half forward and easily pushed off the ball with his slight build. In the 2nd half there were 2 or 3 possible chances for him to break away with his pace but the ball bounced unkindly for him. Rose also no impact across half forward and not much better when injected into the midfield to provide some bite and grunt.

  3. #15
    So by the sounds of it we might be hard pressed to find any changes this week other than Buddy and Tippett???

  4. #16
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That was as comprehensive a beating I've seen at reserves level and I'll include some of the thrashings we handed out to the weaker Canberra teams 10 years ago. The 3rd quarter was paritcularly awful, we probably got the ball into our forward 50 about 2 or 3 times and the Giants just did whatever they liked with the ball. So many of their players had time and space to hit targets and in the rare occasions the ball was in dispute they were tougher, stronger and hungrier than our players.

    If I was really pressed hard to name some good players, I could possibly hand out pass marks to Jack and Robinson for most of their efforts but their ball use wasn't great either. Jack in paritcular bombed one great opportunity in the 2nd quarter when he kicked at goal when there was a free top up in the pocket that he should have passed to. Heeney looked good in the 1st quarter including a nice contested mark in the middle but had no impact after that and was rested about midway through quarter 3. With that in mind I very much doubt he will be considered for selection next week.

    Rose was also rested around this time. Derickx competed okay in the taps with Phillips but didn't contribute as much as the Giants ruckman around the ground. He suffered a shoulder injury in the 2nd quarter and from then on it was a struggle for poor old Abe Davis, Sean McLaren and a bit of Xavier Richards against the much taller and bigger Phillips in the ruck. I thought Hewett's efforts were pretty poor had no impact whatsoever, seems to have good games when the team is on top but lacking fight when the chips are down. He finished the game not playing in the midfield.

    Aliir had his moments with some good one on one bodywork but that was offset by the loose checking on his opponent Sam Reid who kicked 7 in total, with 6 in the 2nd half mostly on Aliir. Some of those goals were the easiest you will ever see with Reid unbelievable having great amounts of space and time despite playing mostly in the forward 50. Marsh fought hard and tried to marshall the defence but in the one on one duels was outpointed by Lamb on more than a few occasions although I wouldn't envy his task given the amount of ball coming into the Swans backline. Newman was sloppy on his kicking today, made poor decisions probably feeling the heat of the Giants players who hunted our players down with ferocity. McLaren struggled up forward as the main forward target, often lead 2nd to the ball, and didn't compete enough in the air to bring the ball to ground.

    Hiscox was quite anonymous across wing and half forward and easily pushed off the ball with his slight build. In the 2nd half there were 2 or 3 possible chances for him to break away with his pace but the ball bounced unkindly for him. Rose also no impact across half forward and not much better when injected into the midfield to provide some bite and grunt.
    Simply horrendous. No cause for joy here.

    BJ will never make until he lowers his eyes, how hard can it be? Its all he has to do.

    Aliir kept slipping over, wrong boots. Our guys were run ragged by a side that would give Gold Coast seniors a run for its money. Robinson tried his heart out. Xav and Abe worked very hard for little reward.

    We only had about 10 listed players on the field so the large number of toppies obviously had a lot to do with it.

    I suppose the only upside is that with the number of talented players on the GWS list that aren't likely to get a senior game and the Giants shrinking salary cap there is a chance that some of them could end up on the Swans list.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

  5. #17
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    Best players: B. Jack, D. Robinson, X. Richards

  6. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Best players: B. Jack, D. Robinson, X. Richards
    X? Really? You've played well when you're named among your side's best players, as a defender, & the opposition has 47 scoring shots & kicks 30 goals!

  7. #19
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    He played most of the last quarter as a forward/part time ruck.

  8. #20
    One of their coaching staff, Reid kicked 7... Wow. He kicked a few earlier in the year when Goodes was playing ressies where he also had too much space and ran into open goal squares.

    We need Ryano back.

  9. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He played most of the last quarter as a forward/part time ruck.
    The other 3 quarters?

    & played as a forward in the final quarter, when the Swans kicked one point? I suppose if Xav kicked the point, he kicked 1/14th of the Swans' score

  10. #22
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    Parental Guidance recommended



  11. #23
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    The other 3 quarters?

    & played as a forward in the final quarter, when the Swans kicked one point? I suppose if Xav kicked the point, he kicked 1/14th of the Swans' score
    I suppose he got a vote because he wasn't responsible for Lamb or Reid.
    Maybe they had to pick a minimum 3 players for the best players list?
    I was half expecting to see Marsh in there even though he gave up 8 to Lamb

  12. #24
    Ok, that makes Xav's naming among the best even more incredulous. 9 disposals. 0 tackles. & even if shifted to ruck/forward for the last quarter ... 0 HO in the ruck, 0.0 on the scoreboard. 11th on DT points

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO