Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subs and Player Payments

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    so you're saying that most players are up for $450 per season for subs, but the top players get close to $5000.
    Mug Punter, like happened to you a couple of years ago, it's time for you to name names.....
    Justa,

The top players can definitely earn $5K plus($275x18 Games). Anywhere from $250-500 a game. In saying that there wouldn't be heaps of guys on that money but there might be some on more than that also.

Didn't Jarjoua get like 10k+ for Balmain?

North Shore must be paying a bit. A fringe first grader Nathan Lomas drives up from Shellharbour for training twice a week and games. You can't tell me he's on less than $200 a game. He'd use that in petrol alone!

Almost Football Legend
    Jarjoura's the senior coach at Balmain, he'd be getting paid for that rather than as a player. I haven't seen Balmain's books, but I doubt they pay players any more.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Doubt Bolt went their for fun and to get suspended a couple of times a year in division 1 instead of prems.

I thought Jarjoura was assistant coach last year?

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    so you're saying that most players are up for $450 per season for subs, but the top players get close to $5000.
    Mug Punter, like happened to you a couple of years ago, it's time for you to name names.....
    Sorry but your post is close to being unintelligible but I'll respond regardless

$5,000 a year equates to about $250 per game if you include finals, it's not a ridiculous number for an elite player. I'm sure if a top line interstate player (e.g. an ex WAFL players) came over for work and set off an auction for his services that clubs would offer around $250 per week. Sure it might be dressed up as an assistant coach but effectively it would be player payments.

My point was that even at the higher end that player payments aren't huge in the SFL so therefore a salary cap is beyond silly.

You clearly think my $5,000 top end player figure is too high, if you are right then you are effectively agreeing with my main point so thanks for your support on this issue

So if $5k is the top let's say $2k is the average (about $100 per game per player) that is still about $40k per year for the club. Is that sustainable for clubs?
    And how do the players not getting paid feel?
    Or how do the club volunteers feel working hard around the club to raise money so some imported player with no loyalty to the club can be paid?

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    So if $5k is the top let's say $2k is the average (about $100 per game per player) that is still about $40k per year for the club. Is that sustainable for clubs?
    And how do the players not getting paid feel?
    Or how do the club volunteers feel working hard around the club to raise money so some imported player with no loyalty to the club can be paid?
    I wouldn't imagine that there are any clubs in Sydney these days paying anywhere near in $40K in wages that but Balmain would have been shelling that out 5 or so years ago when they had Saddington, Fosdike and "three chins" Schmidt on their books. And the fate of that club should answer your questions re the ramifications. We$ts also went on a bit of a spending spree in the mid 00s with their ill fated premiership campaign as they stocked up the Kassem clan and Troy Luff amongst others, and we all know how that ended...

My context of my $5K comment was that even if the top paid player in the comp was on $5K a year (i.e. $250 a game) then even that would not justify a salary cap because in the big scheme of things it wasn't a huge amount, nothwithstanding your question re whether the clubs could afford it.

How much do you reckon Paul Bevan is getting paid by Wests? Whatever it is it isn't enough for him to have to play with that rabble

Clearly I don't have intimate knowledge of player payments at each club (hence my asking the question) but my strong gut feeling is that most clubs in Sydney are pretty much amateur these days. Baulko will probably start paying again when they get their internal stuff sorted out and clubs like Norths usually have a benefactor/sponsor willing to sling a brown paper bag when a "big name" from interstate lands in town.

Personally I'd be pretty disappointed in a teammate if they left their junior club for another for a couple of hundred measly dollars a week, I think it is usually the ego factor of being paid and being chased that gets the signing rather than the real impact that the money will have on that player's life.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 16th July 2015 at 12:34 AM.

Regular in the Side
    IMO the success of non-paying clubs Manly and UniSyd is because the dollars in SydneyAFL has dried up somewhat.

MP, you suggest ECE aren't paying much this year. Are all of their former NEAFL players running around for free this year? I doubt it. I reckon $50-100k would still be changing hands.

Troy Luff at Wests? I must have been in the Bahamas or an induced coma that year.

Albury Tigers would be one of the catalysts for change in country footy. Joss Group bankrolls the club's list, and they are streets ahead in the O & M, well, last time I looked they were.

I have seen the ebb and flow of clubs dealing with a semi-pro environment in the context of another code.
    Typically the clubs that pay and bring in players for the senior side, enjoy a year of two of success and then disappear down the divisions.
    This is usually because the lower grade players become disenchanted and drift away; and when he money dries up (as it usually does) the buy ins go elsewhere and you are left with the shell of a playing list.
    The clubs that survive and prosper year in year out, are the ones that are well run (don't under emphasise the impact this has on existing and prospective players) and develop and provide a great atmosphere for the playing group.
    I am sure there are exceptions to this proposition in the SFL but people are people regardless of which code they play/support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    I have seen the ebb and flow of clubs dealing with a semi-pro environment in the context of another code.
    Typically the clubs that pay and bring in players for the senior side, enjoy a year of two of success and then disappear down the divisions.
    This is usually because the lower grade players become disenchanted and drift away; and when he money dries up (as it usually does) the buy ins go elsewhere and you are left with the shell of a playing list.
    The clubs that survive and prosper year in year out, are the ones that are well run (don't under emphasise the impact this has on existing and prospective players) and develop and provide a great atmosphere for the playing group.
    I am sure there are exceptions to this proposition in the SFL but people are people regardless of which code they play/support.
    Spot on!!

The two clubs that have tried to buy their way to success in recent years in Sydney, Wests and Balmain, have both paid the price.

Balmain in particular had a great club culture when they went up but power hungry, glory hunting committee aided and abbetted by some questionable business practices overseen by a NSWAFL stooge put paid to that. They now play out of Newtown whilst a bunch of student squatters play their senior games at Drummoyne Oval.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Spot on!!

The two clubs that have tried to buy their way to success in recent years in Sydney, Wests and Balmain, have both paid the price.

Balmain in particular had a great club culture when they went up but power hungry, glory hunting committee aided and abbetted by some questionable business practices overseen by a NSWAFL stooge put paid to that. They now play out of Newtown whilst a bunch of student squatters play their senior games at Drummoyne Oval.
    I was actually going to give a serious answer to your questions in the initial post, but obviously you couldn't help yourself from potting Uni because you're such a pathetic little man. So I won't bother, other than to say that we no longer play at Drummoyne Oval. If you're going to have a dip at least try to be factually accurate, you cretin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast