Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 16 vs Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    Hi MCS, throwing in Rose against the Dawks is not my first choice but why not blood the young fella against the best, he could play out of his skin. X, mnyeh a total roughie but he has a good footy head, great genes and has improved his speed.
    The one thing you know against the Hawks is they will expose your weakest links. As decent as X might be, playing anywhere outside of his usual defensive positions would place him really as a weak link in the team.

As for Rose - it would be a huge risk. The guy has done well in ressies this year, but hasn't had a bunch of outstanding performances to make one stand up and say 'he is ready'. I think he will make it, but it seems a risk we would be unlikely to take to throw him in against the Hawks.

- - - Updated - - -

What a load of dribble coming out of Gibson's mouth.... hope someone smashes him on Saturday
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Our ruck stocks, in order of usefulness are:

1. Tippet
    2. Pyke (even injured)
    3. Nankervis (as slow as an injured Pyke)
    4. Derrickx (generally unco)
    5. Nainsmith (unknown quantity)

Its debatable whether any of the 2 to 5 on that list are at AFL standard. Therefore I strongly suggest to the selectors we go with only Tippet, with Reid backup.

And hope that Pyke recovers from injury/form/whatever before the finals. However I think Pyke might be shot, in which case we are in deep do,do's especially with a trade ban stopping us importing a quality ruck replacement.
    Before getting injured I would think Big Sammy was a walk up for an injured Pyke. He started the year really well. Had a pretty useful game against Sandy & Clarke in the NAB. His NAB form was very good and I think once he recovers from injury he will be number 3. But I am also concerned about Pyke's form. He has played 13, Disp Av; 8, Mark Av; 1.4, Tackles 2.8 and scored 1.3. He has an average of 31 HO which is pretty good but does not rate well on HO to advantage. This is really poor. A very bad year indeed for Mike.

I wonder if Derickx will get the nod..

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    What a load of dribble coming out of Gibson's mouth.... hope someone smashes him on Saturday
    Bit of harmless fun from Gibson...I'd prefer that than the monotonous cliches that normally get peddled out by AFL players.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Veterans List
    It sounds like Gibson was joking with Buddy and thought it'd translate into the press. It didn't. But I hope Buddy niggles him into the green vest on Saturday. Wet chopped up turf, should be a great game . . .

A win by the swans on saturday night should knock hawthorn out of top 2 considerations, which imo severly dents there premiership asperations

Absolutely love the underdog tag going into this game!

In: Heeney, Richards
    out: Robinson, towers

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    A win by the swans on saturday night should knock hawthorn out of top 2 considerations, which imo severly dents there premiership asperations
    I agree Barry - get onto your buddies at ANZ to make sure they present the ground in decent nick for Saturday night please - a poor track is not going to help us (though they can't do a lot about the rubbish weather everywhere has had recently).

A win would be a big statement, and put Hawthorn under the pump for top 2. They may be the best team in the league on form, but if they don't make top 2, it gets a lot tougher from there when the top 2 are likely to be a combination of Sydney, Wet Coke and Freo.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Predicting rain for Saturday night.
    Must be a home game for us.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Before getting injured I would think Big Sammy was a walk up for an injured Pyke. He started the year really well. Had a pretty useful game against Sandy & Clarke in the NAB. His NAB form was very good and I think once he recovers from injury he will be number 3. But I am also concerned about Pyke's form. He has played 13, Disp Av; 8, Mark Av; 1.4, Tackles 2.8 and scored 1.3. He has an average of 31 HO which is pretty good but does not rate well on HO to advantage. This is really poor. A very bad year indeed for Mike.
    I agree. It is a real pity Big Sam is injured. Would have been great to see him getting games under his belt and see how he goes. I reckon they would have gone with him too.

We need to look at recruiting another ruck in the off-season - the best the trade restrictions permit us to get. It's a pity we can't cut Derickx - I seem to remember someone pointing out he is contracted until the end of 2016. Some options might be: Zac Smith (Gold Coast), Leuenberger (Lions) if he can't crack the Lions 22, maybe one of the GWS boys (Phillips/Downie/Lobb). I'm sure there are other possibilities too. Do others have any thoughts or suggestions?

On another note, I like the suggestion of BJ for Towers. For me the jury is still out on Towers but I hear the cacophony of voices crying out for him to be dumped and it seems a good time for BJ to get a go given his recent form. I think BJ may offer a little better defensive pressure and perhaps crumbing ability whereas Towers is, at least theoretically, better in the air with his height and leap, although he hasn't taken many marks. In this game against the Hawks I think the pressure and crumbing might be handier (especially with Rohan out) than whatever Towers offers.

I reckon Heeney will come in if he's ready. I hope he is and does. He is classy enough to find a way to make a good contribution and the experience will stand him in good stead in future games.

Goes up to 11
    The Hawks would be rubbing their hands at the prospect of pushing Towers around. Heeney wouldn't take that...