Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 16 vs Hawthorn

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    .... then IMO we are a lot harder to macth up on.....
    You thaid it.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Watching the lions game I couldn't help but think we played the same game plan we will be using against the Hawks - dour defensive football

Some might say "football that was relentlessly severe, stern, or gloomy in manner or appearance"

I suppose this was wise heading into a game against the Hawks

Tippett's suspension came at exactly the wrong time. Pyke returned too early, was wincing after the Port game and 10 days later still wasn't right. Rampe and Mitchell looked like they were propping Bernie Mike up during the team song. I'll be amazed if he's fit in a 6 day turnaround against Dawkthorn.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Funnily enough I agree with your other INs and OUTs but I 'd also throw Rohan in there as he should be OK by the Finals. I'd also have Cunningham out of my best 22 in a perfect world but injuries will probably dictate he'll be in the mix

I think Tippo as a ruckman who can drift forward as required is the way forward. Buddy and Tippo sharing the forward 50 doesn't seem to work and we are way too predictable. I like Goodesy playing in the forward line and if you place McGlynn, Heeny and Parker in there as well as Reid at times then IMO we are a lot harder to macth up on.....
    I like having Buddy and Tippo in and around the forward 50: it fills me with joy to see the third and fourth defenders match up on Goodes and Rohan.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Reading some of the comments on here I'm starting to sway with what some think that Pyke may not be able to come up on a 6 day break. Must be a worry for the coaching staff with probable 2nd choice Naismith also injured. Luckily Nankervis seemed to go back and play like a man hungry for more senior action by the look of his stats! Might be enough for the coaches to put their faith in him and give Pyke some more rest to get his knee right.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ....It's going to take a huge improvement to even get close to Hawthorn. Longmire seemed to have a look of resignation on his face every time the cameras flashed to the coaches' box. Like he knew we were crap and there wasn't any point on giving himself a heart attack about it.....
    We seem so far away from our form 12 months ago. Horse seems to have locked in a game style and plan that he thinks can beat the best teams. The problem is our bottom 6 players don't seem to be up to executing it and some senior players regularly go missing in big patches. He does not want to change the cattle or the plan....I just found this clip on YouTube of the hitler reacting to the swans 2014 gf defeat (downfall parody) - lots of one liners ringing true!

Sydney Swans fan, Hitler, reacts to the 2014 AFL Grand Final result - YouTube

Senior Player
    ROFL!!!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    Like the Hawks and Freo we have looked mediocre but found a way to win. I think that this season has a lot of behind the scenes planning that we are unaware of. The Hawks surprised us on GF day, the Blues got a big surprise last week. What you expect is not what you get. I didn't see the Freo smashing this week. But I don't see the Swans capitulating to the Hawks this year.

And I say that after being at the Gabba on Sunday - it was awful to watch as the Lions finally had their A team on the park, were working hard and had the flood working well.

Or the Melbourne media is right and we just engrave the Hawks on the premiership cup for this year.

There's only one way to beat the Hawks.
    Be more unsociable than they are , within the rules of course .
    I can't work out why forwards can push , shove , bump , don't argue a backman out of the way and then take a mark but backmen seem incapable of doing likewise . It made Ted look like a rag doll .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Be more unsociable than they are , within the rules of course .
    I can't work out why forwards can push , shove , bump , don't argue a backman out of the way and then take a mark but backmen seem incapable of doing likewise . It made Ted look like a rag doll .
    And if we meet them on GF day, be as unsociable as required - within or outside of the rules. Noone cares about the first few rounds of the next season if you go on to win the ultimate prize.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Be more unsociable than they are , within the rules of course.
    Some observers reckon this is what we're going to see.

Sydney Swans ready to give Hawthorn a taste of their own medicine

I have a feeling it could be a good, hard and close contest this weekend. They were just resting in Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    We seem so far away from our form 12 months ago. Horse seems to have locked in a game style and plan that he thinks can beat the best teams. The problem is our bottom 6 players don't seem to be up to executing it and some senior players regularly go missing in big patches. He does not want to change the cattle or the plan....I just found this clip on YouTube of the hitler reacting to the swans 2014 gf defeat (downfall parody) - lots of one liners ringing true!

Sydney Swans fan, Hitler, reacts to the 2014 AFL Grand Final result - YouTube
    The point about the bottom 6 rings true to me. I think our bottom 6 is weaker than it was in 2014, and clearly weaker than it was in 2012. Those fringe guys (Towers, Robinson, Cunningham etc) are not really taking strong steps to solidify their place in the team, and when you add in veterans clearly on the way down (Pyke and Shaw) we look weaker than 2014. What it shows is how desperately we need to have a fit best 22 going into finals. Throw in McGlynn, Heeney and Rohan and suddenly the bottom 6 looks a lot better.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast