Thread: New Kids on the Block

On the Rookie List

New Kids on the Block

McViegh looks like a player. Great game for a debut. Didn't take a backwards step. Bevan wasn't too bad either. The other rookies like Powell, Ablett, James and LRT all had decent games aswell. It all looks good for the future. Still I'm very disappointed with a couple of thr guys performances. No doubt we should of won.

Damn u Bally.

Regular in the Side
    Totally agree about the new kids, I thought they all played really well last night. Of the not-so-new crop, I thought LRT was a standout - he was a crucial link man in many many passages and seemed confident to move the ball on quickly every time.

For me, there was a lot to be happy about in last night's effort. In particular, we were confident and our skill level in tight situations I thought was just brilliant. I thought our workrate was excellent - exemplified yet again by Leo taking that screamer against the odds.

On Jason's missed kick - I think its very wrong to even utter (or type) any notion of blame against him. We all know he wanted to kick the goal, he just couldn't. Did he intentionally shank it? No. Does he feel bad? D'oh. Wanting to damn him for it just suggests blame. There is such fine line between hero and villian. Imagine how different history would look if a certain T Lockett had shanked a kick in 1996?
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Originally posted by Swannette
    On Jason's missed kick - I think its very wrong to even utter (or type) any notion of blame against him. We all know he wanted to kick the goal, he just couldn't. Did he intentionally shank it? No. Does he feel bad? D'oh. Wanting to damn him for it just suggests blame. There is such fine line between hero and villian. Imagine how different history would look if a certain T Lockett had shanked a kick in 1996?
    well, he did shank it! He kicked a famous behind, remember! So even the greatest goal-kicker of all time isnt perfect. Comeon guys, give Bally a break. Hes had a tough run with injuries of late, and we all agree he plays a HUGE role in our side. His behind was one of many missed chances that night.

Regular in the Side
    I should have said - shanked it out on the full. And I am giving Jason a break - whoe point of what I wrote!!
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

On the Rookie List

Re: New Kids on the Block

Originally posted by ZimZum
    McViegh looks like a player. Great game for a debut. Didn't take a backwards step. Bevan wasn't too bad either. The other rookies like Powell, Ablett, James and LRT all had decent games aswell. It all looks good for the future. Still I'm very disappointed with a couple of thr guys performances. No doubt we should of won.

Damn u Bally.
    On last nights showing I am very comfortable with the fact that we are going to be a strong team in years to come judging by the youngsters and how they performed.

Playing Brisbane at the Gabba would have been a very daunting task, yet none really shirked the issue.
    McVeigh has been getting great raps after his performance last night and is being touted a real quality player already.

I more than happy James can hold down a KP and Bevan will provide good run from the defensive flanks when given consistent game time.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

I was pleased with how much Bevan got the ball, but apart from that I would have to rate his performance as solid and encouraging. Let's not forget he was well beaten by his opponent (that household name McRae).

I think that is a perfect example of what experience can do. McRae had 7 touches. From 4 of those he had kicks on goal (2.2) and from two of the other three set up goals with very deft little taps forward. In nearly all of his possessions he just outpaced or outwitted Bevan to get to the ball first. Sometimes there was literally centremetres in it but, at this level, that's enough to make the difference.

How good is McVeigh? Silky....Mmmmm.

I checked through the stats and our debutants were easily the best going around. They both had 12 touches.

Davey had 13 and will get the rising star nomination (can anyone explain how we did not draft him?)

Pettigrew, Salopek, Surjan, Stanton, Bradley all had only a handful of touches each and had little impact on their games.
    Cooney was good, but didn't get it much.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

agree re Davey getting the rising star nomination, with all the hype surrounding him the judges would get renounced if they didnt nominate him.

On the Rookie List
    I liked McVeigh's (are we calling him Macca yet??) and Powelly's games.

Powelly is a great decision maker under pressure. The poor fella rarely gets an uncontested touch so I think he does well under extreme pressure.