Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robbie Ando KO @ Gabba

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by BBB
    Hello....you can stop people getting hurt from kick to kick.

You don't allow it.

That's how the SCG trust have decided to protect THEMSELVES, but some still don't see the light.
    I've gone from an advocate of a post-match kick to an opponent in one foul swoop. It could be said that there are risks in sitting behind the goals at the footy, as footies rain down on you both pre and post-match (North Sydney is even worse, as bits of tree start coming down as well).

Maybe they should erect nets behind each goal in AFL stadia, just like they do in the NFL when the kickers are having a pot shot at goal. Less delays in getting the ball back to the umps, and less people donged in the crowd.

Those in favour of a post-match kick to kick should have seen what it was like to have Robbie's eyes rolling into the back of his head. Not fun for anyone (the understatement of the year). Thank bloody Christ that we had a nurse in the next bay who knew what to do for him.

Des got it right, the contingiency plan of the Gabba Trust after the match was to do bugga all. How easy is it to get on the walkie-takie and get the ground annoucer to tell everyone to move away from the Gate 7 goals? The cops were just standing there, whilst the St John's ambo dudes seemed more intent of filling out forms that attending to Robbie.

Robbie, write to the Gabba Trust about this. I don't think this should be let lie.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

I think its more dangerous when the teams are warming up, that is when I depart the cheer squad area, or at least move to the back.
    its a lot more dangerous than kick to kick because the balls are travelling a lot faster and harder.
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    Maybe they should erect nets behind each goal in AFL stadia, just like they do in the NFL when the kickers are having a pot shot at goal. Less delays in getting the ball back to the umps, and less people donged in the crowd.
    They do this at Vic park too.

Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
    They do this at Vic park too.
    Except taht one is to stop supporters throwing stuff at the players
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    Originally posted by desredandwhite
    I have no problems with the kick-to-kick at all. Sure, accidents will happen, and you DO have to be careful. What I didn't like was the response (or lack thereof) from the Gabba trust, or whoever was supposed to be in charge.

Once there were people crowding around someone comatose on the ground, with medical staff attending to him, someone should have got on the PA and got the crowd to the opposite side of the ground. But there were still footballs raining down on us FIFTEEN MINUTES after the incident.

The cops did their best, they sent back people from the goalsquare, but there's no way they could get to people who are 60 m away and getting them to stop having a shot at the goals.
    VERY much agree here - the Gabba Trust seems to be even more useless than the SCG mob and that's saying something! Even the cops were pretty useless in the end - Rob managed to land across a gateway and ignorant morons can see him lying there, ppl standing around him and official people helping and they were STILL stepping past him even though he was taking up half the gateway - the least they could have done was shut the gate for goodness sake!

But glad you're doing ok Rob, hope the flight was a comfy one for you and cya soon!

Except that one is to stop supporters throwing stuff at the players
    Or the ferals knocking the balls off!!!

PS. Excuse me for fixing your spelling in the quote, Reggi

Originally posted by BBB
    Or the ferals knocking the balls off!!!

PS. Excuse me for fixing your spelling in the quote, Reggi
    Tsalright, been taking lessons from Pugs
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    Robbie, write to the Gabba Trust about this. I don't think this should be let lie.
    Your right I shouldn't let this go. Fair enough I was hit by a ball, the GABBA Trust can't stop that nor can I or anyone else (except the moron kicking the thing)

As brought up by Des, Gemma and JF the way things were handled by those in charge after I got hit, left a bitter taste in my mouth. The stewards and the police didn't do a thing despite the fact those with me were yelling at them for nearly 30 minutes to do something and I can tell you after I came to, I was sitting there ****-scared anytime a ball came into view with a few landing within a few metres of me.

Of course this ruined a perfectly good trip, though during the match itself the behavour of the crowd around us was the worst I have seen in my time. All night those sitting in the Cheer Squad had ice, food and other objects thrown at us, without anything being done by the cops and the abuse directed at us was not only personally but also not suitable for the children sitting near us. Of course that wasn't the only thing. I was sitting near the steps and I have a group of 5 year olds standing by the fence despite being told by me to go back to their seats, they just kept comin back and the cops did nothing despite a sign on the fence saying "NO STANDING DURING PLAY"

All in all I must rate Brisbane fans in the same level as I rate Hawthorn and Collingwood fans and thats a sad thing considering the nice Brisbane fans we know and met on the weekend.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Originally posted by robbieando

All in all I must rate Brisbane fans in the same level as I rate Hawthorn and Collingwood fans and thats a sad thing considering the nice Brisbane fans we know and met on the weekend.
    SOME brisbane fans. Night matches bring out a whole different animal, I've seen it everywhere, yes, even at the SCG. When you get alcohol involved, it all goes downhill very quickly. Every club has their moron element.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

On the Rookie List
    I am sorry to hear that Robbie got whacked on the head with all the resulting problems . In regard to crowd behaviour, I was lucky in that I was sitting amongst the most civilised supporters that I have had the pleasure to be near in a long career in football. We had the usual barracking etc but after the game 2 Lions fans even shook my hand and said that the Swans were unlucky to lose and that the better side lost . The fans were great, particularly , after a couple of bad experiences that I have had with Collingwood supporters in recent times.
    Last edited by SWANSBEST; 29th March 2004 at 11:27 PM.
    WMP

Robbie,

this is the first time I have logged on since coming back and the first thread I read. I'm so glad you're ok. I kept saying all weekend, I wonder how Robbie is and I hope he's alright.

We had to high tail it of there just after you were hit as Hubby was waiting in the traffic outside for us.

The attitude to those around you (obviously beside's the Cheer Squad people) for the brief period I was there was appalling. I was also shocked with the cops lack of urgency. Who just strolled on down.

I have no problem with the KIDS having a kick after the game, but the morons who are in their late teens, 20's and 30's should have more bloody common sense. There should be a restriction to who can go onto the field. Even at the SCG where we sit we still get bombared by balls when they allow a kick to kick. Will it take someone getting seriously injured before sometrhing is done about having some controll over this? I'm looking at this also from a parenting side of things. I dread having the boys go onto the field to have a little kick, as the older guys around them don't get a @#%* who they may trample when flying for a mark or trying to bomb in a long shot.

The only positive in this thread is that Robbie's ok.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12